Gamethread (4/6)

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

More specifically, for not even drawing 2+ million fans or whatever it was...maybe in 2006.

Of course, chopping off half the upper deck didn't help, that was a loss of what, 3500-4000 seats?

In 2006 the Sox drew a franchise record 2,957,414 fans.

Winning solves a lot of problems including attendance. Something JR has never understood. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Winning solves a lot of problems including attendance. Something JR has never understood. 

Which is exactly why he wants a stadium where he doesn't have to jump through hoops to get fans to a game.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Which is exactly why he wants a stadium where he doesn't have to jump through hoops to get fans to a game.

History shows if the club isn't winning they aren't going to draw regardless of where a stadium is located.

I completely understand that mentality myself, that's the object of the game to win.

"Winning" to me doesn't mean getting to the World Series every year but putting together competitive stretches over time with good players and giving yourself a reasonable chance.

It seems other teams including teams that don't have the inherent advantages the Sox have in Chicago (one example is Tampa Bay) have been able to do this but that somehow escapes this organization. 

As Kenny once said, "It is what it is..."

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

History shows if the club isn't winning they aren't going to draw regardless of where a stadium is located.

I completely understand that mentality myself, that's the object of the game to win.

"Winning" to me doesn't mean getting to the World Series every year but putting together competitive stretches over time with good players and giving yourself a reasonable chance.

It seems other teams including teams that don't have the inherent advantages the Sox have in Chicago (one example is Tampa Bay) have been able to do this but that somehow escapes this organization. 

As Kenny once said, "It is what it is..."

He also sees a lot of teams in Chicago who don't have to win to draw fans and would rather have that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He also sees a lot of teams in Chicago who don't have to win to draw fans and would rather have that.

Which is proof he is in the green regardless of ticket sales, fans, and concessions.  The MLB royalties from everything else’s keeps him in the green regardless.  In his mind, he has no incentive to win as long as he is making money.  Jerry has always been a businessman first, a fan second.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, JoshPR said:

Remember folks this is what Uncle Jerry wanted. 43 years of cheapness and incompetence... 

sox had a top 5 payroll like just a few years ago

it isn't how much he's spending, tampa bay spends a fraction of what we do, it's that he isn't qualified to appoint people to run a professional sports team.  jerry has no fucking clue at all how to build a successful franchise with sustained success.  

he's even been given the courtesy of being in arguably the worst division in baseball, and he's in the biggest market.  he just wants sycophants running the team, people who think they're smart and at the same time, people who will do whatever he says

this is baseball hell

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Which is proof he is in the green regardless of ticket sales, fans, and concessions.  The MLB royalties from everything else’s keeps him in the green regardless.  In his mind, he has no incentive to win as long as he is making money.  Jerry has always been a businessman first, a fan second.

Say what you want about Jerry, but don't make him out to not understand.  He absolutely understands.  He just doesn't care. That's not the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Say what you want about Jerry, but don't make him out to not understand.  He absolutely understands.  He just doesn't care. That's not the same thing.

Agreed, great post.  He knows way fucking more than every accountant and actuary that works in my company.  He probably knows more than every auditor as well, both internal and external.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Okay, THAT'S what JR was complaining about then, never going over 3 million then...he didn't mention the part about decreased stadium capacity.

• Thanks 1

It was funny listening to the Royals postgame in my car. The fans were all excited about being 5-4. No mention, none, of how bad the White Sox are. You know, the Sox have turned the seasons of Central Division teams around a lot during the past many years of suck. Sox get KC well ... again.

That said ... it's interesting how this pathetic lineup is hitting about what we all expected. Typical Sox. No surprises. Everybody's hitting poorly just as we thought. I know I know. Robert and Eloy are out. 

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Okay, THAT'S what JR was complaining about then, never going over 3 million then...he didn't mention the part about decreased stadium capacity.

Yep, he literally complained about never hitting 3 million even though they were that close.  Scumbag.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yep, he literally complained about never hitting 3 million even though they were that close.  Scumbag.

And he wants to build a park where he will have to sell out just about every game to get to 3 million with its capacity. You have to average a little more than 37k a game for 3 million. Isn’t the park supposed to have a 35k to 38k capacity.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Bears, Hawks and Bulls have the backing of the whole metro area while the Sox are lucky if they draw from 40% of the metro area as when it comes to baseball it’s now  a Cubs town, wasn’t always that way as it was a Sox town most of the 50s and 60s, after that it was about even and then the despicable Reinsdorf and his creep of a partner Eddie Einhorn bought the team in 81 and through one bad move after another turned Chicago into Cubs town.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

More specifically, for not even drawing 2+ million fans or whatever it was...maybe in 2006.

Of course, chopping off half the upper deck didn't help, that was a loss of what, 3500-4000 seats?

It was 6,000, the ballparks capacity before the lop off of 8 rows was 45,000, after the lop off it was reduced to 39,000+, it’s even less now with some other alterations.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

“We’re going through a really bad stretch right now offensively,” Grifol said. “But that’s not who these guys are. They’re proven major-league hitters.” 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡