Nastrini and Cannon to be Called Up

DirtySox

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

The Giolito and Lynn trades give me optimism that we can get something interesting for Fedde if he keeps it up and maybe some of the relievers (possibly Soroka if he can turn it around).

I am hoping that Fedde can stay somewhere between 4.00 - 4.30 and eat innings with good K numbers. If so, I think we can definitely get something interesting.

What I really want to see is Kopech and Wilson continue to look dominant out of the pen because they could have some real value come deadline time.

Other than those 3, this team has nothing of value to trade as of today which is a real shame.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

The Giolito and Lynn trades give me optimism that we can get something interesting for Fedde if he keeps it up and maybe some of the relievers (possibly Soroka if he can turn it around).

Fedde and a couple relievers maybe.  Soroka has looked like total garbage and a DFA candidate.  I’ll be shocked if he turns anything around to the point he has actual value.

• Like 1

So who do you think is gone?

The candidates:

Chris Flexen - sounds like he may be sliding into a long-relief/spot starter role

Deivi Garcia - has been bad

Tim Hill - see above note, currently have Banks and Shuster as lefties in pen

Dominic Leone - meh

Edit: could option Shuster but would still need a 40-man move.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

48 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

Need a decent/good result from Cannon’s start today. Not necessarily a Sox win mind you, just something positive for him to build on. Cannon, Nastrini, and Crochet are kind of the main positives we need going forward. Not to forget Leasure… 

Eh, I think Cannon is a few tiers down from those guys.  I will be pleasantly surprised if he’s a member of a quality rotation in 2026.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/16/2024 at 9:45 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

They need to trade strictly for position players at this point. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, fathom said:

Eh, I think Cannon is a few tiers down from those guys.  I will be pleasantly surprised if he’s a member of a quality rotation in 2026.

Even if he’s a 4/5 starter, that’s a huge win.  No more signing scrubs like Flexen if he can hack it long-term.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is Cannon going to stick in the rotation or will he get demoted to AAA as soon as Clevinger is ready?  Seems like Nastrini is safe with Flexen moving to the pen, but this team is a lot more fun with two legit youngsters in the rotation.

I think so. A spot could open up later (if not by injury first) by trading Fedde or DFAing Soroka if he doesn’t turn his season around. 

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is Cannon going to stick in the rotation or will he get demoted to AAA as soon as Clevinger is ready?  Seems like Nastrini is safe with Flexen moving to the pen, but this team is a lot more fun with two legit youngsters in the rotation.

I hope Cannon sticks in the rotation.

I'm picturing Clevinger as more of the Crochet backfill for when he winds down.

If Clevinger can perform anywhere as decently as he did last year, I'd be halfway happy with a rotation of Clevinger - Nastrini - Cannon - Fedde - (someone else)

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The starting rotation has the potential to be a lot of fun in the second half of the season with Crochet, Nastrini, Cannon, Thorpe, and Iriarte all 24 years old and younger. I wasn’t a proponent of promoting these guys until they were ready and honestly felt like they rushed Nastrini and Cannon a bit but perhaps I was wrong. They looked very good in their debuts.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t mind hanging on to Fedde. Sox could conceivably have a strong rotation next year. Crochet, Fedde, Nastrini, Cannon, Thorpe, Shuster with Inciarte and  Schulz waiting in the wings. Sox can still use a couple guys like Fedde and Clevinger to eat some innings with all those rookies. I think Fedde is a solid bet to deliver close to two hundred innings the next couple years

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

I wouldn’t mind hanging on to Fedde. Sox could conceivably have a strong rotation next year. Crochet, Fedde, Nastrini, Cannon, Thorpe, Shuster with Inciarte and  Schulz waiting in the wings. Sox can still use a couple guys like Fedde and Clevinger to eat some innings with all those rookies. I think Fedde is a solid bet to deliver close to two hundred innings the next couple years

I'd deal him if there's a strong enough offer to move him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'd deal him if there's a strong enough offer to move him.

Me too. The one thing this organization is relatively deep on is starting pitching (anssuming the kids in A+ and AA continue to develop) and they should be able to sign another couple Fedde/Clevinger type free agents in the offseason if needed to eat innings.