4/17 Games

BamaDoc

7 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

I genuinely cannot remember the last high end Sox prospect with elite OBP skills. I will take one guy who needs to be a little more aggressive over the dozens who swing way too much.

All the way back to Frank Thomas and Robin Ventura?

8 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

I genuinely cannot remember the last high end Sox prospect with elite OBP skills. I will take one guy who needs to be a little more aggressive over the dozens who swing way too much.

Yoan for sure

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yoan for sure

But remember, despite spending 80 games with them in the minors, the team had no chance to work him on his swing and miss issues.

Or his rookie year. It's all him. Absolutely all his fault, not the Sox development team. Because he made one music video and is jacked.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Moncada and Semien

Semien is probably the best comp of walk rate/strikeout rate/age plus both guys were middle infielders with questionable defensive futures. But somehow prospect analysis was at a point in 2013 where a 22 year old putting up a 167 wRC+ in AA wasn't on top 100 prospect lists, lol.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Moncada walked a lot as a prospect. 

Remember 2018? All of the Ks looking? 

I've (literally?) been Moncada's biggest supporter on this forum over the years but he still had a massive strikeout rate issue as a prospect. He had a 31% K rate in AA his last year in Bostons org and was pushing 30% again after the Sale trade when he was down in Charlotte. These *16 games* are the first time we've ever seen any indication Colson being overly patient might be an issue in his game.

Edited by maxjusttyped

2 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Semien is probably the best comp of walk rate/strikeout rate/age plus both guys were middle infielders with questionable defensive futures. But somehow prospect analysis was at a point in 2013 where a 22 year old putting up a 167 wRC+ in AA wasn't on top 100 prospect lists, lol.

Because he wasn't a high first round draft pick and they only envisioned him as a utility guy/spark plug off the bench.

Nobody would have predicted the SB numbers at the mlb level yet, either.

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Because he wasn't a high first round draft pick and they only envisioned him as a utility guy/spark plug off the bench.

Nobody would have predicted the SB numbers at the mlb level yet, either.

That's not really true. Everyone knew the bat was legit, but a lot of people thought he would have to move to 2nd to make room for TA and liked Micah Johnson more. A lot of us hated that trade as soon as it happened.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

That's not really true. Everyone knew the bat was legit, but a lot of people thought he would have to move to 2nd to make room for TA and liked Micah Johnson more. A lot of us hated that trade as soon as it happened.

Then they should have played him at third.

And they didn't give Johnson more than 2-3 months of consistent starts at the big league level either. 

5th round picks always have a much higher level of doubters/skepticism from the scouts to overcome those industry biases towards the first rounders and consensus MiLB Top 75 guys.

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Then they should have played him at third.

And they didn't give Johnson more than 2-3 months of consistent starts at the big league level either. 

5th round picks always have a much higher level of doubters/skepticism from the scouts to overcome those industry biases towards the first rounders and consensus MiLB Top 75 guys.

He was blocked at 3rd by Beckham and Matt Davidson. The issue wasn't failing to identify Semien. The issue was trading him. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

He was blocked at 3rd by Beckham and Matt Davidson. The issue wasn't failing to identify Semien. The issue was trading him. 

IIRC Keith Law loved him, thought he his bat would play easily anywhere at 3B, SS, 2B but the Sox wanted him at SS and he was horrible there and they traded him before he was a fully developed MLB player. It was an awful trade.

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

Have you looked at Beckham's OPS numbers since his rookie season?

He wouldn't even be considered a good hitter on the 2024 Sox team.

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Have you looked at Beckham's OPS numbers since his rookie season?

He wouldn't even be considered a good hitter on the 2024 Sox team.

I have. Beckham was a bad player that remained a fan favorite and was given way too long of a leash. I'm not saying the Sox should have kept Beckham. I'm saying the narrative you invented about Semien was wrong. 

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

I have. Beckham was a bad player that remained a fan favorite and was given way too long of a leash. I'm not saying the Sox should have kept Beckham. I'm saying the narrative you invented about Semien was wrong. 

https://theathletic.com/1075513/2019/07/14/marcus-semien-reflects-on-the-trade-that-sent-him-to-oakland-and-andrew-vaughns-future-with-the-white-sox/

He was the #4 prospect for the White Sox (Erik Johnson was somehow first) but never was considered a consensus Top 75 MiLB prospect.

Scouting Grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 45 | Run: 50 | Arm: 50 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

Semien has been a revelation since signing as a sixth-round pick in 2011. After totaling 10 home runs in three college seasons at California, he has gone deep 35 times in his two full pro seasons. Two of those long balls came during Semien's first big league callup last September.

Semien is more of a tablesetter than a slugger, though, and he led the Minor Leagues with 110 runs in 2013. He controls the strike zone well and repeatedly barrels balls with his compact stroke. Semien enhances his average speed with good instincts on the bases.

Drafted as a shortstop, Semien played a lot of second base last year and mostly third base while with Chicago. He profiles best as a second baseman, offensively and defensively, but he has the savvy to get the job done at shortstop. Semien has nothing left to prove in the Minors and only needs to have the White Sox clear a spot for him in their lineup.

mlb.com

Maybe Davidson had the higher profile because he was always a highly-touted prospect (up to that point), but he had already lost some of his shine from disappointing results with the Diamondbacks, especially the the high strikeout numbers, and he was also older by that point in time.  There were also questions about his defense.

Pretty much everything was uncertain except for his flowing locks of hair.

Edited by caulfield12

4 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Semien’s AA season was insane offensively…only if we could have developed his defense some maybe we would have kept him.

On 4/18/2024 at 9:04 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Semien’s AA season was insane offensively…only if we could have developed his defense some maybe we would have kept him.

Sox wanted The Shark.  Oakland asked for a lot and got it.