Friday 4/19/24 Sox@Phillies GameThread

5 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

How can you unintentionally be this bad

That's what's so pathetic about this team. They weren't trying to tank. There's absolutely no reason to, as they are locked into 10th overall. There was no motivation to be the worst team in baseball. They spent a bunch of money on free agents, too. They could have had a BETTER team than this, by spending LESS money. Getz was truly trying to improve the team, which is what's so depressing. He's a fucking terrible GM.

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Like 2
  • Hawk 1
  • Paper Bag 1

10 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

That's what's so pathetic about this team. They weren't trying to tank. There's absolutely no reason to, as they are locked into 10th overall. There was no motivation to be the worst team in baseball. They spent a bunch of money on free agents, too. They could have had a BETTER team than this, by spending LESS money. Getz was truly trying to improve the team, which is what's so depressing. He's a fucking terrible GM.

They spent a bunch of money on free agents? 

5 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

They spent a bunch of money on free agents? 

I guess I should have phrased it as "acquisitions". 

They are spending almost $15M on Nicky Lopez, Max Stassi, and Martin Maldonado(money lit on fire). Signed Brebbia to a $5.5M contract. Hill and Flexen. 

Pretty much every move they made over the offseason was a total failure.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nrockway said:

now that the Bulls have finished losing (for a couple months anyway), I can turn my undivided attention to watch the Sox continue to lose indefinitely!

Always looking for the positives.  I wish I could be a glass half full guy like you.

13 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I’m not doing that. I’m keeping my catcher in there. He puts the right fingers down. He knows what he’s doing back there.

Joke is on you, they don't put fingers down anymore

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You know it's bad when people are remembering Leury fondly.

I don’t remember him fondly but the 2019 version would be one of the best players on this team

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Seven times shut out in the first 19 games.

Incredible.

62 Mets here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heck. It’s flippin unbelievable

2 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

I don’t remember him fondly but the 2019 version would be one of the best players on this team

Even his 2022 version would have had the 5th best OPS in today's starting line up.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Always looking for the positives.  I wish I could be a glass half full guy like you.

well, after that Bohm 3-run home run, I decided I'd check the box score and see what I'm in for. oh s%*#, I mean his first 3-run home run. I think I'll pass on this game.

1 hour ago, Paulie4Pres said:

That Mena trade looks awful. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I guess I should have phrased it as "acquisitions". 

They are spending almost $15M on Nicky Lopez, Max Stassi, and Martin Maldonado(money lit on fire). 

I mean, more like $9.0M, if we’re accurate. Not that it really changes much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

That Mena trade looks awful. 

It’s a SSS, but Menas era is so far is pretty misleading. Nearing a 1.4 whip and walking a batter in 65% of your innings pitched terribly sustainable for success. Mena may become a serviceable back end SP, but I think it was a fine gamble and do think Fletcher will be solid piece for the Sox. 

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It’s a SSS, but Menas era is so far is pretty misleading. Nearing a 1.4 whip and walking a batter in 65% of your innings pitched terribly sustainable for success. Mena may become a serviceable back end SP, but I think it was a fine gamble and do think Fletcher will be solid piece for the Sox. 

Sure, but Fletcher looks like a fourth outfielder at best.  I’ll take the boom or bust of a 21 year old Christian Mena over a 26 year old fourth outfielder in the long losing years of the sucky Sox.

It’s still not as bad as dumping a 22 year old Jose Rodriguez for nothing.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2