No player symbolizes Chris Getz Player Development like Lenyn Sosa

bmags

Sunday I get to see the soxtwitter videos of Lenyn Sosa pop-up, another embarrassing rundown where we say "it looks like they've never played baseball before!"

Before we get too far - Lenyn getting where he has today is an incredible accomplishment. He may not be very good, but he was a modest bonus signing that has made it to the big leagues on the strength of his hitting progression. He is by far the best signing of that class, which was highlighted by Josue Guerrero. 

Anyway. Sosa signed in July 2 of 2016. Getz took over the following offseason as our Director of Player Dev, and Sosa appeared stateside in Arizona, where he stood out as perhaps the first international signing in like half a decade to not be completely miserable at the plate. He had no power, but he wasn't striking out 60% of the time. 

He then spent 5.5 years, slowly climbing the organization. He mostly survived as a young player in older leagues, before breaking out in AA as a 22 year old where he suddenly found power.

He was promptly called up where we all learned that power was all you can really find in the white sox org. You find Power, you find velocity.

Everything else? they are unfindable.

A player for 5.5 years in Chris Getz teachings arrives, where we can see what it's like for someone to be taught the way JR always wanted.

The result? Someone who appears underprepared at the plate, on the field, and on the basepaths. 

He goes back and forth between AAA and the big leagues, and it is all the same. 

Lenyn Sosa arrived a reported 6'0 and 180 lbs, and stands today at 6'0 and 180 lbs. That's true and also a good metaphor. Despite 615 games since he arrived in Chris Getz teaching, he has very little learned.

I think about this when I read Colson Montgomery reports. The most alien like figure I"ve ever seen arrive in this org. Truly the opposite traits of like every other player. And we see "he'll need to develop if he wants to stay at short". 

Well, I'd say lets just hope he survives at 3rd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

The way the Sox talked about him before I ever saw him play I figured he was like a poor man's Altuve, or maybe even homeless man's version. Well, he's not even a poor man's Leury.

Among other things his sprint speed is pathetic for a guy that is supposed to be a potential middle infield utility guy. Not an athlete, not a baseball player, not anything at all really.

30 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The way the Sox talked about him before I ever saw him play I figured he was like a poor man's Altuve, or maybe even homeless man's version. Well, he's not even a poor man's Leury.

Among other things his sprint speed is pathetic for a guy that is supposed to be a potential middle infield utility guy. Not an athlete, not a baseball player, not anything at all really.

Remember when everyone hated Leury's guts? He'd be the all star on this god-forsaken baseball team 🤣

• Paper Bag 1

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Isn't Leury like Top 3 all-time for JR eating a contract and the amount of money wasted?

Would have been better off keeping him than signing Benintendi, who will probably end up being top 1 contract eaten. At least Leury had personality. Benintendi doesn't even have that. 

1 minute ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

Would have been better off keeping him than signing Benintendi, who will probably end up being top 1 contract eaten. At least Leury had personality. Benintendi doesn't even have that. 

Right....ofc he came on the heels of Alex Rios, one of KW's all-time biggest talent for cash grabs.  

And lasted longer in terms of tenure than any member of the Sox.

He and Tim Anderson would be pretty close in terms of total time in Sox organization...including minors.

7 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

Pollock staying would have blocked him, too.  AJ personally lost money escaping...but not nearly as much as JR.

41 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

I'm a Sosa fan, but at some point, he has to show some semblance of a skill set in the bigs. It has basically been the same result, 3 years in a row.

I'm there. Was always a Lenyn fan, but yeah, he's had 3 shots, and hasn't taken the opportunity and done anything with it. He's AAAA filler. 

2 hours ago, Capn12 said:

I'm a Sosa fan, but at some point, he has to show some semblance of a skill set in the bigs. It has basically been the same result, 3 years in a row.

It’s annoying because when these guys come up so much relies on them hitting immediately because they are complete deadweight otherwise. Complete negative players that have to hit 120 wRC* to be above average.

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2024 at 9:44 PM, WestEddy said:

You don't even know who's on the roster, half the time. 

A bunch of losers who, honestly, don't even deserve to have their names known. They should wear blank jerseys with a Sox logo.

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, WestEddy said:

You don't even know who's on the roster, half the time. 

A bunch of DFA candidates, just like I told you during Spring Training when you were getting excited about Nicky Lopez hitting well.  Meanwhile, you were busy hyping up the rotation including guys like Soroka and Flexen as trade candidates because they had one or two good seasons like 3 to 5 years ago before injuries ruined them, all the while arguing with anyone who logically disagreed with you.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

A bunch of DFA candidates, just like I told you during Spring Training when you were getting excited about Nicky Lopez hitting well.  Meanwhile, you were busy hyping up the rotation including guys like Soroka and Flexen as trade candidates because they had one or two good seasons like 3 to 5 years ago before injuries ruined them, all the while arguing with anyone who logically disagreed with you.

Everyone knows that good teams sign guys like Clevinger, Pham or Grossman after spring training (or just as it's ending) with expectations that they will be major contributors.

• Paper Bag 1

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Funny when a guy who last saw his pecker in the flesh during the first Obama administration mocks actual athletes in a slump. You complained about everything, you didn't predict anything. Big difference. 

3 hours ago, Quin said:

Everyone knows that good teams sign guys like Clevinger, Pham or Grossman after spring training (or just as it's ending) with expectations that they will be major contributors.

I would remind you that 3 stars were all out, injured after 10 games, and 3 other veteran hitters were OPSing their credit scores, but that would require the Admins to shut down the string while they clear off all of my patient, intelligent corrections of all of your melt-downs.