Schriffen says he was aiming at “Sportscasters”

13 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Not familiar with the new draft rules, why are they capped at 10th overall?

New CBA anti-tanking lotto rules dictate that if you are a non-revenue sharing team or "large market team" you cannot pick in the top 10 in back to back years, if you are a revenue sharing team you cannot be in the top 10 for 3 years in a row.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tray said:

At the end of the day, baseball is a game. Don't take it so seriously, especially if you are just another fan of the game.

This is unique though. Never in Sox history has a team been so poorly put together. Everyone knew, everyone!, that this lineup would be so weak. And the Sox did nothing about it this offseason. In January the team did nothing and you just KNEW this team would reek at an all time level of lousiness. Baseball is a game, but again, this level of ineptitude is different. For instance the team is so bad I did not buy mlb.com to watch this wreck of a team and I'm a lifelong Sox fan who til this year has watched a ton of games. It's a game but Sox management has taken away ALL enjoyment. I mean you could tune in to watch Crochet or Pham (Robert, Eloy) but that's it.

8 hours ago, tray said:

What makes you a "TRUE" White Sox fan? I have been a WSox fan for over 50 years. I still attend a lot of games. Do you?

You are part of the problem if you are still supporting this team by giving them money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rusty said:

You are part of the problem if you are still supporting this team by giving them money.

True. I guess the Sox won't be embarrassed by tiny crowds all summer.

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 5:40 AM, Iwritecode said:

Is there some context to this that I'm missing?

It’s from White Sox Beat (Merkin). I tried to post it all but for some reason it was stretching the page. But as far as I can tell, there’s no context which changes the meaning of that quote 

Edited by Chick Mercedes

8 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

We had 28,000-plus in this stadium, and I fed off every bit of that energy,” Schriffen said. “It wasn’t planned. I didn’t think about what I was going to say.  

“It’s just one of those moments where it was like, ‘This is who this team is and for all those people who are talking crap about the White Sox, we’ve got something ready for you this season.’ That’s the haters, all the people who are piling in on the jokes.”

Schriffen, a former news reporter for ABC, is a self-proclaimed news junkie and surfs channels on the road to view different newscasts. He also catches the various sportscasts to see what’s being talked about, which he did recently in Minneapolis. 

“Every sportscaster was piling the jokes on, ‘The Twins were sucking it up, and now, thankfully, the White Sox come to town, and they are going to get us right. I can’t wait. Wish we can play the White Sox all the time,’” Schriffen said. “The jokes like that, all the people who think they have jokes on us now, it’s like, ‘OK, haters, we see you, but we’ve got something coming for you.’” 

White Sox players have been extremely talkative through these tough on-field times with Schriffen, who works the pregame and postgame clubhouse, while always attending manager Pedro Grifol’s media sessions. He appreciates the accessibility, as well as the expert guidance from White Sox television analyst Steve Stone.

Schriffen loves the genuine fan interactions, whether they take place away from the field or last Saturday during the pregame Sox bar crawl at the park. He understands criticism is also part of the job. 

“I’m used to taking heat,” Schriffen said. “It was a tough position walking in, and I knew that was going to be the case. All I asked is for people to be fair. When people cross the line, I’ve learned the block button [on X] has become my best friend. 

“When it’s just genuine criticism or genuine frustration, and it doesn’t cross that line, that’s fine. I get it. You are a fan. I was a fan. I’m never going to tell anybody how they should feel because that’s what’s fun about sports. We all have our own opinion.” 

He's going to get too close to the players like Benetti did and start taking criticism too personally.  You have to be careful to maintain absence of distance and objectivity as a broadcaster.  Also, the more time spent around the players...the more of an anti front office position you're naturally going to take, whether you realize it or not.  But he's never going to be one of them without that MLB background...just like Benetti was always going to be an awkward outsider.

• Like 3

This guy isn't even a White Sox fan!! Doesn't know why us Sox fans boo javy baez?? (cause he won a series with the Chubs u moron) Thinks Mike Veek put in the exploding scoreboard?? (it was Bill Veck u idiot, do ur homework for crying out loud) Calls us fans haters? ( u put up with Reinsdorf for 40 years owning 2 teams in this town, and letting the greatest athlete ever to walk) Sell the team jerry and take shrifen with u!! 

Reinsdorf Effigy Nite!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

I wish people would stop saying this because it isn’t true. Sometimes we just  enjoy attending a baseball game because it’s a fun activity and we don’t even think about Jerry Reinsdorf. Personally I wouldn’t let some bozo executives dictate my life and the things I enjoy, you’re not changing anything by “protesting” a bad team, the state is paying Reinsdork regardless. It’s kind of like the logic of boycotting businesses who support policies you don’t like. It doesn’t work and you’re only punishing yourself. 

I think our friend South Side Hit Men has good rationale to ”boycott” the team, signing a sex offender who might help us to win 50 games instead of 48. I’m pretty disgusted by that, but I don’t see the point in punishing myself. I like the White Sox regardless of who the owner or GM is, that’s probably not going to change. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I wish people would stop saying this because it isn’t true. Sometimes we just  enjoy attending a baseball game because it’s a fun activity and we don’t even think about Jerry Reinsdorf. Personally I wouldn’t let some bozo executives dictate my life and the things I enjoy, you’re not changing anything by “protesting” a bad team, the state is paying Reinsdork regardless. It’s kind of like the logic of boycotting businesses who support policies you don’t like. It doesn’t work and you’re only punishing yourself. 

I think our friend South Side Hit Men has good rationale to ”boycott” the team, signing a sex offender who might help us to win 50 games instead of 48. I’m pretty disgusted by that, but I don’t see the point in punishing myself. I like the White Sox regardless of who the owner or GM is, that’s probably not going to change. 

The Oakland A's situation with that lengthy history of animosity towards Fisher from the fanbase would be one solid example where organized fan revolts count for something...especially after ownership basically doubled season ticket prices in the midst of the perpetual rebuilding around 3 seasons ago.

Those fans are MUCH more organized in terms of collective action and "going viral" with various boycotts and attacks on ownership.

For example, sending a message by "attending a game" in much larger numbers than usual in order to get attention to the plight of the fans last year.

22 minutes ago, Blackhawk Icerunner said:

This guy isn't even a White Sox fan!! Doesn't know why us Sox fans boo javy baez?? (cause he won a series with the Chubs u moron) Thinks Mike Veek put in the exploding scoreboard?? (it was Bill Veck u idiot, do ur homework for crying out loud) Calls us fans haters? ( u put up with Reinsdorf for 40 years owning 2 teams in this town, and letting the greatest athlete ever to walk) Sell the team jerry and take shrifen with u!! 

Reinsdorf Effigy Nite!! 

For the record, any halfway decent rant should actually know it is Bill Veeck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

This is unique though. Never in Sox history has a team been so poorly put together. Everyone knew, everyone!, that this lineup would be so weak. And the Sox did nothing about it this offseason. In January the team did nothing and you just KNEW this team would reek at an all time level of lousiness. Baseball is a game, but again, this level of ineptitude is different. For instance the team is so bad I did not buy mlb.com to watch this wreck of a team and I'm a lifelong Sox fan who til this year has watched a ton of games. It's a game but Sox management has taken away ALL enjoyment. I mean you could tune in to watch Crochet or Pham (Robert, Eloy) but that's it.

Sox tried to put together a lineup with all Chris Getz guys 1-9 which would be the worst ever but now they seem to be scoring more runs while the bullpen has been slipping. Wish we could count on Yo and Robert leading them back to victory. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Oakland A's situation with that lengthy history of animosity towards Fisher from the fanbase would be one solid example where organized fan revolts count for something...especially after ownership basically doubled season ticket prices in the midst of the perpetual rebuilding around 3 seasons ago.

Those fans are MUCH more organized in terms of collective action and "going viral" with various boycotts and attacks on ownership.

For example, sending a message by "attending a game" in much larger numbers than usual in order to get attention to the plight of the fans last year.

That’s true but a different scenario. Also seemingly not very effective, if the A’s end up staying in Oakland it will be because they’re incompetent and couldn’t secure funding for a park in Vegas.
Also, A’s fans are boycotting because they like their team and want to keep watching it. I guess the White Sox fan would boycott because they don’t want to watch the team. 

22 hours ago, greg775 said:

I like that video u posted here. ... I can forgive Schriffen. I won't be watching any games so I won't be able to rate him as a play by play guy. But I forgive him as I thought he was referring to fans who have been hating on the team. I can understand his excuse and I forgive him. ... He's in a tough spot as he has to be a homer and can't pull a Hawk and tell it like it is. Q: Does our radio crew, two good vets in D. Jackson and Kasper rip the Sox at all? When I've been in the car they haven't been real negative but not sickening homer either. If things get too bad they are kind of funny telling anecdotes about things besides the Sox. ... I assume Stone has changed from last year and is more quiet and trying to be as nice as he can be to the club and manager.

I’m so out of the loop … I had to look him up.  Thought he might be a player.  

What are the TV ratings this year?  They have to be down from last year, no?

14 hours ago, tray said:

The truth as you call it is that the Sox do not have the talent that Minnesota or Detroit have, especially with a line-up depleted with injuries and players like Bennintendi and Vaughn who have had a terrible start.  However, in most of the 10 losses to them, the Sox competed and several games were lost by one or 2 runs. I was at some of those games rooting for the WSox. Were you or do you simply want to join in on the fun that sarcastic sportscasters on the Score or cub fans have been having as they relish in every WSox loss... or openly wish for Jerry Reinsdorf's death. Count me out on that garbage and yes, some hatred that has revealed itself. At the end of the day, baseball is a game. Don't take it so seriously, especially if you are just another fan of the game.

The Sox have won five of their six wins by two or less, one in extra innings.  

Their Pythagorean W-L is 7-24.  They aren’t losing a lot of tough games.

They are at the bottom of both leagues in run differential.

What is this post?  Root for them if you want but don’t tell people - who suffered through a rebuild, expected to have a championship window and get one playoff appearance - not to air their complaints.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tray said:

What makes you a "TRUE" White Sox fan? I have been a WSox fan for over 50 years. I still attend a lot of games. Do you?

There was no bigger Sox fan than my mother.  She probably attended 5-10 games her entire life.

So you have more disposable income and more time on your hands than others.  You must be proud of yourself.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, nrockway said:

That’s true but a different scenario. Also seemingly not very effective, if the A’s end up staying in Oakland it will be because they’re incompetent and couldn’t secure funding for a park in Vegas.
Also, A’s fans are boycotting because they like their team and want to keep watching it. I guess the White Sox fan would boycott because they don’t want to watch the team. 

And why should they watch or care about these buffoons.

The organization should get down on their knees and thank God ANY Sox fan still gives a tinkers cuss (ya' like that phraseology? LOL) about this disaster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

And why should they watch or care about these buffoons.

The organization should get down on their knees and thank God ANY Sox fan still gives a tinkers cuss (ya' like that phraseology? LOL) about this disaster.

Well it’s no skin off my back if people don’t wanna watch the Sox, I just wouldn’t call it a boycott and judge other people for choosing to attend a game.

I think “tinkers cuss” just entered my vocabulary and I’ll be using it at every opportunity, context appropriate it or not. 

Edited by nrockway
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Well it’s no skin off my back if people don’t wanna watch the Sox, I just wouldn’t call it a boycott and judge other people for choosing to attend a game.

I don't mind if a fan goes to 1-2 games this season but the reason has to be the food. There's absolutely no reason to watch this team play ball. ... By the way the Cardinals stink. Wonder if the Sox will win the series.

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I don't mind if a fan goes to 1-2 games this season but the reason has to be the food. There's absolutely no reason to watch this team play ball. ... By the way the Cardinals stink. Wonder if the Sox will win the series.

No, there really isn't...but we will probably push them back into the NL Central race next.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, nrockway said:

There’s a very recent example in Bud Light to refute that. Not starting a political argument or making a statement on the reason for the boycott, but it definitely made a difference for that company.

Edited by Milkman delivers
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to a game soon. I'll personally throw my nickels into the owners suite because I want Jerry to have more and then he'll never enforce change.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

There’s a very recent example in Bud Light to refute that. Not starting a political argument or making a statement on the reason for the boycott, but it definitely made a difference for that company.

There’s nothing political about it. Bud Light needed a gimmick because nobody drinks their s%*# beer anymore. They tried something provocative that would give them a ton of attention, positive and negative. Frankly this is the purpose of “social justice” in 2024. That period started I think when Kaepernick signed a deal with Nike and a bunch of sweatshop employees started making $80 “black lives matters” shirts for wealthy liberals to buy. But I digress. 

It’s very very different from having pride in where you’re from. It’s not immediately political just because it’s the south side of Chicago, though if Schriffen wants to make fun of lakeview YUPs, I’m here for it. 

Edited by nrockway

9 minutes ago, nrockway said:

There’s nothing political about it. Bud Light needed a gimmick because nobody drinks their s%*# beer anymore. They tried something provocative that would give them a ton of attention, positive and negative. Frankly this is the purpose of “social justice” in 2024. That period started I think when Kaepernick signed a deal with Nike and a bunch of sweatshop employees started making $80 “black lives matters” shirts for wealthy liberals to buy. But I digress. 

It’s very very different from having pride in where you’re from. It’s not immediately political just because it’s the south side of Chicago, though if Schriffen wants to make fun of lakeview YUPs, I’m here for it. 

"go Woke, go Broke" is just as much of a Social Justice movement as "social justice", but no one wants to hear that.  People just find their ways to justify their own actions, while demonizing the exact same thing from others.