Story on Sox trade possibilities...

25 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Meanwhile...teams like MIL have these dudes like Brice Perkins or Tyler Black just magically show up and produce to keep their teams competitive.

Or the Cubs with Canario, Tauchman, Busch and Crow-Armstrong.

White Sox (still) have pretty much zero (young) quality depth capable of producing on offense.

Unless you're a huge believer in Brooks Baldwin...

I just want to know why the Sox can never luck into an old vet like Tauchman.  Dude has been better than most of our lineup over the past two seasons with the Cubs.  Embarrassing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I just want to know why the Sox can never luck into an old vet like Tauchman.  Dude has been better than most of our lineup over the past two seasons with the Cubs.  Embarrassing.

Just a sample size of one but Tauchman has a career isoD of like 1. He's a patient hitter and batting eye doesn't age as quickly as other tools. As long as he can hit 240 he'll have good value.

The Sox are not a team that values batting eye in general, been this way since the early aughts, and it's a problem.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Just a sample size of one but Tauchman has a career isoD of like 1. He's a patient hitter and batting eye doesn't age as quickly as other tools. As long as he can hit 240 he'll have good value.

The Sox are not a team that values batting eye in general, been this way since the early aughts, and it's a problem.

Robbie Grossman was that Sox attempt at a patient hitter...but his defense almost automatically makes him a negative fWAR player before his first at-bat.

8 hours ago, KipWellsFan said:

I'd consider trading Jimenez. Horrible defender, horrible runner, and at-best slightly above average DH.

And in return we would get a good defender, good runner, and above average DH? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, wegner said:

I am happily content that I have no earthly idea who any of those people are....nor do I want to.

I'm trying to figure out how I lost command of MLB rosters. There are zillions of players I've never heard of. I used to know all of MLB. Very strange to be a dummy now in terms of MLB personnel on each team cept Sox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 5:33 PM, caulfield12 said:

Robbie Grossman was that Sox attempt at a patient hitter...but his defense almost automatically makes him a negative fWAR player before his first at-bat.

On the year the Sox current outfield consisting of Sheets, Grossman, Benintendi, and Pham have a combined WAR total of -1.1.

Glad were not in a rebuild and Chris Getz is the man that will turn this around faster than any other inexperienced GM you could pick out of a hat.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
sp
  • Like 1

I think if they were going to trade Robert, it should've been this past offseason. That was probably the height of his trade value unless he returns and plays out of his mind the rest of the year. Still, one less year of control. Might as well keep him now. I'm still on the "Kopech for India" bandwagon. Rearranging the deckchairs for both teams probably, but both guys have talent they've underperformed. Maybe a change of scenery helps. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

I think if they were going to trade Robert, it should've been this past offseason. That was probably the height of his trade value unless he returns and plays out of his mind the rest of the year. Still, one less year of control. Might as well keep him now. I'm still on the "Kopech for India" bandwagon. Rearranging the deckchairs for both teams probably, but both guys have talent they've underperformed. Maybe a change of scenery helps. 

India is just getting older and more (arbitration years) expensive…hardly could argue that he would fit with an extended timeline.

Not to mention you’re trying to fit Ramos Montgomery and Gonzalez into that future infield.

Bad teams are very good at trading few decent to good players they have with hopes something will happen within five years.  The trade of at least getting something usually is 2 steps back or someone just to fill a minor league roster.  The problem with baseball it's a trade frenzy sport.  The Sox are not alone in this.   I treat the Sox as a small market habitual losing franchise.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/05/04/white-sox-open-to-all-trades-including-luis-robert-jr-and-garrett-crochet

‘‘Take bids on everybody,’’ a former executive told the Sun-Times. ‘‘Over-ask; that’s what everybody does. . . . Shoot for the moon. If nobody bites, then get realistic just as the deadline approaches. No different than what they did with Cease.’’

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

India is just getting older and more (arbitration years) expensive…hardly could argue that he would fit with an extended timeline.

Not to mention you’re trying to fit Ramos Montgomery and Gonzalez into that future infield.

Maybe. I bet there's room for a 2B/1B type. Who will DH when/if Eloy is gone? India's already locked up next year at $5m, control until 2027 (one more year than Kopech). I don't know what one could really expect to get for Kopech, to me it feels like pretty fair value and, on the surface, sensible for both teams. I think Noelvi Marte comes back from his suspension before the deadline, where does that leave India?

Would be great if Gonzalez/Montgomery/Ramos actually turned into a respectable infield. But can you really have too many middle infielders? I thought you liked Preller!

On 5/3/2024 at 7:19 PM, greg775 said:

I'm trying to figure out how I lost command of MLB rosters. There are zillions of players I've never heard of. I used to know all of MLB. Very strange to be a dummy now in terms of MLB personnel on each team cept Sox.

If you only focus on players the White Sox pick up, you’d understandably never know whom a good player is, much less a star.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/05/04/white-sox-open-to-all-trades-including-luis-robert-jr-and-garrett-crochet

‘‘Take bids on everybody,’’ a former executive told the Sun-Times. ‘‘Over-ask; that’s what everybody does. . . . Shoot for the moon. If nobody bites, then get realistic just as the deadline approaches. No different than what they did with Cease.’’

Cease would be the top pitcher available if our idiot GM held onto him. He is a legit CY Young contender right now. 

Instead, we took at the time was a poo platter back. Using him as an example of how to conduct a trade is maddening. F chris Getz for selling low.

At least Iriarte and Thorpe are off to hot starts, but neither guy would net us Cease at this point.

Edited by wrathofhahn

No team control beyond this season so no reason not to trade them no matter how minimal the return:

Clevinger, Pham, Soroka, Hill, DeJong, Grossman, Leone

Team control beyond this season but would unload for reasonable price:

Maldonado, Lopez, Jimenez

Would love to unload but nobody would take:

Benintendi

Everybody else either has a chance of still being here when (hopefully) this is a good team in 2026 and/or will have more trade value after the season, so I'd want a good return.

36 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

No team control beyond this season so no reason not to trade them no matter how minimal the return:

Benintendi

Everybody else either has a chance of still being here when (hopefully) this is a good team in 2026 and/or will have more trade value after the season, so I'd want a good return.

Fedde...?  Kopech?

The rate things are going, Wilson and Brebbia might be worth the most amongst the relievers.

Have to believe Eloy's option is declined...and 50/50 Vaughn non-tendered.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Benintendi

You forgot Moncada whom I think the organization would love to unload. 

Nightengale in his column Sunday wrote this:

"The White Sox off to their worst start in franchise history, are still hoping to trade Tommy Pham to the highest bidder before the trade deadline."

"The White Sox are also expected to trade starters Erick Fedde, Chris Flexen, Mike Clevinger, reliever Michael Kopech and DH Eloy Jimenez."

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

"The White Sox off to their worst start in franchise history, are still hoping to trade Tommy Pham to the highest bidder before the trade deadline."

"The White Sox are also expected to trade starters Erick Fedde, Chris Flexen, Mike Clevinger, reliever Michael Kopech and DH Eloy Jimenez."

Well, nobody has to worry about Nastrini and Cannon getting their long looks this season. 

7 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I can’t wait to see the pile of crap Getz gets in return for these guys.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Fedde...?  Kopech?

The rate things are going, Wilson and Brebbia might be worth the most amongst the relievers.

Have to believe Eloy's option is declined...and 50/50 Vaughn non-tendered.

Eloy's option may get declined, but either way nobody is trading for him, same with Vaughn. The other guys you mentioned are under team control beyond this year and productive, so I don't see the Sox giving up on their narrative of being a contender next year, no matter how delusional it might be.

15 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

You forgot Moncada whom I think the organization would love to unload. 

If the Sox would be willing to eat enough salary to get a decent return for him that would be nice, but we all know that's never going to happen.