Sox Avoid Arbitration

Sox1422

It sounds like people would've been okay with $3M.  What the hell does $400,000 do, especially when you're not paying for it.  $400,000 is $.04 in baseball.

I wouldn't be happy with anything. Until he grows a set, we might as well keep him in the dugout or let him throw BP.

And you wonder why I hate KW??

giving this guy 3.4 mil.. for his 12 wins a season give me a break.

How many guys have not missed a start in three years and have double digit wins each year? Greg Maddux is going to make $10M the next two years for doing about the same thing Jon Garland does. I am not comparing Maddux to Garland but at $3.4M for a pitcher that wins over ten games a year is something to not hate the GM about. I guess we should go get Cory Lidle. The problem with Jon Garland is everyone thinks he should be a stud already. Compare wins by guys his age and again tell me where he has failed. He is young and getting better but for some reason not as quickly as the White Sox and overzealous fans. I suppose you would rather have Javier Vazquez at $8/yr.

How many guys have not missed a start in three years and have double digit wins each year?  Greg Maddux is going to make $10M the next two years for doing about the same thing Jon Garland does.  I am not comparing Maddux to Garland but at $3.4M for a pitcher that wins over ten games a year is something to not hate the GM about.  I guess we should go get Cory Lidle.  The problem with Jon Garland is everyone thinks he should be a stud already.  Compare wins by guys his age and again tell me where he has failed.  He is young and getting better but for some reason not as quickly as the White Sox and overzealous fans.  I suppose you would rather have Javier Vazquez at $8/yr.

:headbang

maybe he should be ahead of where he is now. But 12 games a year and an average ERA in this era of juiced balls (heh, heh) isn't that bad. I believe he's pitched close to 200 innings in the last three years. That's not bad people.

The first thing I thought of when I saw this news was that this a prelude to a big trade that is coming. RJ.

Unfortunately, if that was the case, we probably would have just offered him Arb.

Arbitration is an ugly process, and avoiding it shows that the sox don't want any bad blood between them and Garland. If he was going to be traded, we wouldn't care if we dragged his name through the mud.

Well If you remember before the Sox dealt Mark Johnson they avoided arbitration with him, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I think the benefit is if you do trade him the team acquiring him knows his exact salary.

And if you don't trade him, you avoid and ugly process/situation (like Cheat said). It seems like the Sox are very good at staying away from letting the arbitrators decide because all the Sox do is try to say how s***ty he is and how he isn't worht this much and Garlands case is the opposite.

This is a perfectly good deal, he'd of gotten somewhere around this via arbitration and in this case the Sox are making the process easier on both sides. Avoid arbitration can also help set up a long term deal in the future.

Everyone is so hard on Jon cause they expect him to be a star and I think he has that type of ability (not quite star, but a very good 2/3). Since he isn't at that level we just assume he's crap, but he can keep you in games and goes deep into most games. Only 24 too.

Everyone is so hard on Jon cause they expect him to be a star and I think he has that type of ability (not quite star, but a very good 2/3).  Since he isn't at that level we just assume he's crap, but he can keep you in games and goes deep into most games.  Only 24 too.

:headbang Exactly

I'd just like the people who think we are overpaying to list me the pitchers who we could sign for under 3.4 Mil who has pitched close to 200 IP the last three years and had around 12 wins and an average ERA who is almost guarunteed to at least put up similar numbers again. I doubt you can think of any. Some people need to just wake up. He is already a decent #3 starter and among some of the better #4 starters in the league. To complain that he's not another Mark Buherle is just insane.

I'd just like the people who think we are overpaying to list me the pitchers who we could sign for under 3.4 Mil who has pitched close to 200 IP the last three years and had around 12 wins and an average ERA who is almost guarunteed to at least put up similar numbers again. I doubt you can think of any. Some people need to just wake up. He is already a decent #3 starter and among some of the better #4 starters in the league. To complain that he's not another Mark Buherle is just insane.

How is Garland "guarunteed" to put up those mediocre numbers for 2005?

Cory Lidle just signed a 2 year $6.2 million with the Phillies. I would take him over Garland.

Get off of Garland's nuts already. He isn't anything special. :headshake