Films

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 01:52 PM)
Saw Evan Almighty, I liked it better than Bruce Almighty, there was alot of funny parts.

Wasnt as bad as I thought it would be.

I agree.

It was a very family-friendly movie.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
Man, I never go by IMDB ratings.. Kung Pow was a funny movie and I really enjoyed it.. Everyone at IMDB is far too criticial

Or you're not critical enough. The IMDB ratings are fairly accurate.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
Or you're not critical enough. The IMDB ratings are fairly accurate.

Disagreed.. There are plenty of movies that I thought were good that get bad ratings and comments on there

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 06:26 PM)
Disagreed.. There are plenty of movies that I thought were good that get bad ratings and comments on there

Yeah, I trust rottentomatoes.com more than the imdb.com ratings. You probably get a lot of 15 year olds on imdb voting for ridiculous movies.

Film Critic Joel Siegel Dies at 63

Joel Siegel, one of the most notable faces of movie criticism thanks to his position as the lead film critic and entertainment editor for the ABC talk show Good Morning America, died on Friday after a long battle with colon cancer; he was 63. Known for his succinct and common-sensical movie reviews, which featured highly quotable and pun-filled one-liners delivered with a snappy patter, Siegel was one of the first critics to parlay his writing job into a television career, alongside other famed personalities as Gene Shalit, Jeffrey Lyons, and of course, Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel. Starting out as a radio DJ and newscaster, Siegel first worked for Robert F. Kennedy's campaign as a joke writer, in addition to being a book reviewer for the Los Angeles Times and a freelance critic for other publications. Siegel moved to New York in the 1970s, where he first worked for WABC and then for ABC's fledgling morning show, Good Morning America. He stayed with the show for the rest of his career, and was reportedly at work even two weeks before his death. Though he maintained a mostly sunny aura on air, his career was not without controversy -- most recently, in 2006, he vociferiously left a screening of Clerks II 40 mintues into the film, inciting the wrath of director Kevin Smith. At the age of 54, as he was receiving chemotherapy for colon cancer, Siegel found out he was going to be a father for the first time, and had only a 70% chance of living to see his child. After his son Dylan was born in 1998, Siegel wrote Lessons for Dylan, a book that was part biography and part life lessons and was published in 2003. In addition to his television career, Siegel also received a Tony nomination for writing the 1981 Broadway musical The First. He is survived by his wife, Ena, and their son. --Mark Englehart, IMDb staff

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 07:10 PM)
Yeah, I trust rottentomatoes.com more than the imdb.com ratings. You probably get a lot of 15 year olds on imdb voting for ridiculous movies.

Why would a 15 year old give a higher rating to, say, Citizen Kane, then to Kung Pow???

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 02:21 AM)
Why would a 15 year old give a higher rating to, say, Citizen Kane, then to Kung Pow???

I don't mean Citizen Kane. I'm talking about A 15 year old giving a high rating for something like, "She's All That" or "Not Another Teen Movie." And low marks for something like "Memento" or other good movies.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 12:42 PM)
I don't mean Citizen Kane. I'm talking about A 15 year old giving a high rating for something like, "She's All That" or "Not Another Teen Movie." And low marks for something like "Memento" or other good movies.

You're obviously not going to agree on all the ratings but the imdb ones are the best. I'm pretty sure they keep a secret formula in actually determing the rating they get. I doubt 15 year olds giving She's All That 10/10 even registers on the movie's rating.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
You're obviously not going to agree on all the ratings but the imdb ones are the best. I'm pretty sure they keep a secret formula in actually determing the rating they get. I doubt 15 year olds giving She's All That 10/10 even registers on the movie's rating.

I'm also convinced they somehow alter the ratings. Shawshank Redemption has more votes than The Godfather (by a whoooooole lot), and they both have the same exact viewer rating. Yet, Godfather is number 1 somehow.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 08:37 PM)
Sunshine

Looks interesting, something I would definitely go see.

Funny, i woke up this morning wondering what would happen if the sun burned out! lol

Do i even need to see the movie anymore after that trailer!?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 01:30 AM)
He's going to win an Oscar for this role. Since the first time I saw Patrick Bateman in action Christian has been my favorite actor.

No doubt. He is one of those quietly intense actors that just becomes the role he is playing. I still get shivers when I see what he did to himself for The Machinist. and its even harder to believe that he put all of that weight back on to play Batman.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 01:30 AM)
He's going to win an Oscar for this role. Since the first time I saw Patrick Bateman in action Christian has been my favorite actor.

It'd be interesting if the film won the Oscar for best picture, for the reason that it would lead to the words "Academy Award winner Elton Brand" (He produced the film).

Saw "Sicko" last night. Interesting film, had some funny moments, had the usual cherry-picking of facts by Moore. He is very good at putting a movie together and splicing in funny clips, I have to give that to him.

The funniest thing to me was the ovation the audience gave the film at the end. I can never understand why someone'd clap at a movie screen.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)
Saw "Sicko" last night. Interesting film, had some funny moments, had the usual cherry-picking of facts by Moore. He is very good at putting a movie together and splicing in funny clips, I have to give that to him.

The funniest thing to me was the ovation the audience gave the film at the end. I can never understand why someone'd clap at a movie screen.

Glad nobody clapped after the showing I was at. I liked it and found it interesting.

I saw DieHard last night and I must say that was the best die hard movie yet. Freaking fantastic. Just exactly what I like when I go to a movie expecting to see an action movie.

It was just an all around entertaining action flick that left me wide awake when the movie ended around 2 AM. I definitely recommend it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 02:21 PM)
I saw DieHard last night and I must say that was the best die hard movie yet. Freaking fantastic. Just exactly what I like when I go to a movie expecting to see an action movie.

It was just an all around entertaining action flick that left me wide awake when the movie ended around 2 AM. I definitely recommend it.

I'm not gonna say it is the best, but I thought it was sweet as well.

During the first half hour, I was like, "This is gonna suck. The guy from the Mac commerical is pissing me off. Doesn't feel like a Die Hard movie." But that all changed fast.

QUOTE(rowandrules83 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 12:14 PM)
It'd be interesting if the film won the Oscar for best picture, for the reason that it would lead to the words "Academy Award winner Elton Brand" (He produced the film).

How'd Elton Brand get involved in the movie business?

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 08:55 PM)
How'd Elton Brand get involved in the movie business?

No clue. He's rich and lives in L.A., so I guess he met some people to open the door.

Saw Transformers last night...thought I would be disappointed, but I ended up thinking it was great.

We saw Ratatouille this weekend...what a beautifully made movie. One of the best films of the year.

We were so hungry afterwards we had to get French food. We went to Cyrano's on Wells. Wonderful.

Anyway...

This is not your expected animated fare full of recent pop culture jokes and big name stars phoning in voice over performances. In fact, two of the main characters in the movie are voiced by middle-level Pixar employees and they are perfect.

The visuals in this film are breathtaking. The longshots of Paris are like postcards. The street scenes filled will fog and light add the romance of the city and the story. The food...wow. I have never seen animated food look so delicious. You could smell the kitchen. The characters and the film's message are refreshingly not spoon-fed to you. This is an intelligent script that doesn't talk down to the kids or to the adults. Don't think kids won't enjoy that. My son is 8 and he loved every second of it.

There will be talk about it's opening weekend and how it's lower than other Pixar films.

Don't let this discourage you. This film, unlike the other Summer fare, is original, funny and touching and will have the legs to last the summer. Spread the good word and go see it!

BTW, the short before the film is called "Lifted" and it is hysterical!!!

Edited by RibbieRubarb