2005 White Sox are the 2003 KC Royals

RockRaines

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the 2003 KC team amongst the league leaders in intangibles, pitching, & defense in those early months? I don't think so. The 2005 White Sox are. The 2005 Sox are avg'g 3.37RA/gm. That would put them at 81RA to finish Apr. The 2005 Sox are avg's 4.53RS/gm. That would put them at 109RS to finish Apr.

109RS, 81RA vs 122RS, 95RA. They were 12% better than us at RS, & we are 17% better than they were at RA. Our greater strength in run prevention outweighs their strength at scoring runs.

They finished Apr 16-7. We are likely to finish Apr 18-6 (.750W%).

We're a better team than the 2003 KC team.

I, for one, think this white sox team is one of the most solid teams in the majors. We all know that.

In the back of the mind, I do realize this can't last, but also realize a few lossed aren't going to hurt us.

I love this team....

There is no legit comparison. They owned with RISP. We suck so far. Their pitching staff was trash. Ours is a helluva lot better. I'd take our lineup over theirs as well. The only similarity is wins and losses through the first month of the season and you could argue that we're pretty similar to teh 2001 M's as well.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
I have been thinking about our great start to this season and the negative reaction from sporting press.  Many observers are linking our team to the 2003 KC Royals and their great start and 3rd place finish.  Over achieving by the pitching staff, and lucky 1-run wins.  Many people on this board are wondering if our numbers are going to come back to earth as well, especially when we have to face tough opponents in august etc.

KC win/loss splits

Month by Month

Split            W L      RS      RA  WP

March        1 0    3    0 1.000

April        16 7  122      95 0.696

May            10  19  131  177 0.345

June        15  12  155  160 0.556

July            15  11  136  125 0.577

August        13  15  146  155 0.464

September  13  15  143  155 0.464

Our April is starting to look alot like KC.

Longest Winning Streak:          9 (March 31 to April 12)

Lets all hope this is not the case, but what do you think?

A better parrallel is the 2000 team. Right time, right place, and a favorable schedule to run out to a big lead.

Gimme a break...how many guys had career years for the Royals that year??? Quite a few.

Last I looked the Royals came out of nowhere that year as well. The Sox have had a strong nucleus for some time, made some changes and have regrouped. You can also look at the offense which has underachieved.

This is just a terrible comparison and people can believe whatever they want, but if the Sox are healthy, they will play good baseball and they will make the playoffs. Oh ya that Royals team didn't have anywhere near the pitching staff the Sox have.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 07:49 PM)
Oh ya that Royals team didn't have anywhere near the pitching staff the Sox have.

My point exactly.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
NO, this team has a true pitching staff

Mark Buerhle

Freddy Garcia

Jose Contreras

Orlando Hernandez

Jon Garland

6&7: Brandon McCarthy, Jon Adkins

Compared to...

Darrell May

Chris George

Runelvys Hernandez

Kyle Snyder

Jose Lima

6&7: Jeremy Affeldt, Jimmy Gobble

While our April can be compared to KC there is one difference. They had the hitting and pitching working for them in April.

So far this season we have had the pitching but the hitting has not been there, so while our pitchers era will rise as the season progresses, the hitters avg. will also rise balancing each other out. We wont keep winning at this rate but we will be a good team without a doubt.

16-4 :headbang :headbang :headbang

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
Yeah, our offense hasn't come around, this is surprising that we're 16-4. But we all love it. And yes, everyone just enjoy it. This probably will be the only time in our lives that the Sox are .800 after 20 games.

The pitching is no fluke. We have argubly the best staff in the american league. It's gonna be down right scary when the offense comes around.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2004 @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
The pitching is no fluke.  We have argubly the best staff in the american league.  It's gonna be down right scary when the offense comes around.

We're not doing too bad on the Runs thing. We've scored 92 runs so far and that works out to 4.6 runs a game. Could that be a little better? Yes but its more then plenty for this staff.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
I have been thinking about our great start to this season and the negative reaction from sporting press.  Many observers are linking our team to the 2003 KC Royals and their great start and 3rd place finish.  Over achieving by the pitching staff, and lucky 1-run wins.  Many people on this board are wondering if our numbers are going to come back to earth as well, especially when we have to face tough opponents in august etc.

KC win/loss splits

Month by Month

Split            W L      RS      RA  WP

March        1 0    3    0 1.000

April        16 7  122      95 0.696

May            10  19  131  177 0.345

June        15  12  155  160 0.556

July            15  11  136  125 0.577

August        13  15  146  155 0.464

September  13  15  143  155 0.464

Our April is starting to look alot like KC.

Longest Winning Streak:          9 (March 31 to April 12)

Lets all hope this is not the case, but what do you think?

First, I would like to say that our pitching staff is not over achieving one bit. Second, these one run wins are not lucky. We are playing great defense and getting great pitching. We are also running the bases very well. We are playing all around very sound fundamental baseball. That is what helps you win close one run ball games.

I have seen more comparisons written about this White Sox team and the 2002 Anaheim Angels. The one thing that is the same between this team and the Angels is

the deep starting rotation and bullpen. The 2002 Angels and 2005 White Sox have very similary qualities. The KC Royals did not have a deep pitching staff and they were very young. A lot of things fell apart for that team. We have a lot of proven players and especially pitchers.

I would like to believe the comparisons between the 2005 White Sox and the 2002 Angels are better comparisons. Only time will tell. Like many others have said, lets just enjoy the ride.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 05:08 AM)
I have seen more comparisons written about this White Sox team and the 2002 Anaheim Angels. The one thing that is the same between this team and the Angels is

the deep starting rotation and bullpen. The 2002 Angels and 2005 White Sox have very similary qualities.

I agree about the pitching depth, but their offense doesn't really compare at all. The 2002 Angels offense is more like a poor man's version of the 2004 Red Sox offense.

Eckstein .363 OBP, .293 AVG

Kennedy .345 OBP, .312 AVG

Anderson .870 OPS, 30 HR, 125 RBI

Glaus 30 HR, 110 RBI

Salmon .880 OPS

Fullmer .880 OPS

Erstad .283 AVG

Spiezio .810 OPS

Molina

Bench

Palmeiro .300 AVG in 263 ABs

Wooten .292 AVG in 113 ABs

Gil .285 AVG in 130 ABs

Nieves .289 AVG in 100 ABs

Fabregas

The catchers were a major disaster for the 2002 Angels if we're talking offense. Fabregas hit .193 and Molina hit .245.

Edited by hammerhead johnson