Post on Blue Jays.com

THought you guys would be interested.

To: ALL (1 of 3)

I took my Father, my brother and my 3-yr old daughter to Saturday's game vs. the Chicago White Sox. It was my dad's birthday, and I had free tix from Rogers. I was seated in section 105, and I was in the 2nd last row. section 105 is located right behind the visitors bullpen. 5 minutes before game time, we all decided to go and sit in the front row as no-one was sitting there. Just before the game started, my daughter waved at the bullpen catcher by the last name of Lee. Lee waved back at her and we struck up a conversation with us. Mr. Lee threw over some bubble gum to my daughter, and some sunflower seeds to me.

He was very respectful and polite, and after each inning, he would come over (partly due to the fact that my daughter kept waving at him), and we would chat about our respective families until the next inning. My dad was extremely happy as his fanasy players (Konerko, Iguchi, and Adams) were supplying most of the offence for both teams, and the fact that Mr. Lee was being so personable. Around the 5th inning, a Rogers Center employee waved to me from behind the bullpen and asked me if my daughter would like a baseball. I of course answered yes! The gentleman threw the ball to me and I gave it to my daughter and she was the happiest kid in the Dome.

The day couldn't get any better right? Wrong. Fast forward to the ninth inning. My dad asks me if I want to leave, and I emphatically say no. Sure enough, Russ Adams comes to the plate and smacks his 2nd homer into the bullpen. My dad is in heaven. I watch Mr Lee pick up the ball and put it in his back pocket and continue to catch the pitchers in the bullpen. Now the game is over. Mr Lee takes the ball out of his rear pocket, and signs it. As he is walking out of the bullpen to go and shake hands with the rest of his team, he turns to me and waves. I wave and thank him, but I doubt that he could hear me due to all of the other people looking to get a ball. Mr Lee points to me and throws me the Russ Adams' baseball that he had signed with his first name; Man Soo. I give the ball to my dad and wish him a happy birthday. He thanks me for a great birthday gift, and puts the ball in his pocket.

I have never heard of Man Soo Lee before so I GOOGLE his name and what do I see? The guy is known as the Babe Ruth of the Korean League. He was a multiple record setter, and is known for being so personable. I would think a guy with a record like that wouldn't be so nice, and polite, but I'm afraid I just assumed that almost all great ball players wouldn't be approachable.

The only thing that I could have asked for would be the Blue Jays winning, but at least they made a game of it.

Thank you Man Soo Lee for making my Daughters day, my dads day, and my day. This has been without a doubt, the best baseball game ever. I just wish most baseball players were like you.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the game that Buerhle had 12 K's, Man Soo was out in full force. He literally went down the entire left field line shaking hands, signing autographs, taking pictures, and joking with every fan in the stands. It was a sight to see.

Man Soo is so awesome. Last year I went to a game and had tickets front row in the leftfield corner right by the bullpen. During the rain delay he came over and talked to me and my dad in the rain and he gave me some tips on catching. The next day, we come back because that game ended up being rained out. He recognized us again and we once again talked baseball. He is a class act.

One time, there was a fire in my town, and Man Soo came and rescued everyone(and of course someone is going to take a shot at NoDak here for sure) is in the building.

He then got a cat that was stuck in a tree out of the tree

Sorry, couldn't resist :P

Man Soo is the s*** anyways though. I am enjoying all these real stories.

You know, it's a shame that all of us out-of-towners only ever hear about the bad off-field things that happen at MLB games, like the idiot who attacked the first base ump and stuff like that.

This is a great story that couldn't have been better if it happened to a Sox fan. The fact that it was in Toronto and it happened to a Jays fan makes it all the better. Stories like this need to be brought to the public more often. It's just too bad that most of the public only wants to hear bad things.