*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
If El-duque goes back on the DL and McCarthy is an Athletic. Then I can see KW making a move to acquire another starting pitcher. There is NO WAY we will go through that black-hole 5th spot again. Other insurance policies could be Cotts. He has been pitching pretty solid lately.

Cotts, as a starter....

Caller this is Onstar how can we help you

Someone said that Neal Cotts was going to start a game, he is pitching better. I have shortness of breathe, and think I just vomitted in my mouth. I may have shat myself also.

Dont worry take a step back Neal Cotts cannot start a game. That experiment is over.

Thank you.

Onstar is always here for you. Even when crazy Cotts starting thoughts appear.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
Cotts, as a starter....

Caller this is Onstar how can we help you

Someone said that Neal Cotts was going to start a game, he is pitching better.  I have shortness of breathe, and think I just vomitted in my mouth.  I may have shat myself also.

Dont worry take a step back Neal Cotts cannot start a game.  That experiment is over.

Thank you.

Onstar is always here for you.  Even when crazy Cotts starting thoughts appear.

Experiment?? He's started what 3 games in the major leagues. Now don't get me wrong I don't think he should be an option as a starter this year because he's been solid out of the pen but he really hasn't been given a shot yet to succeed as a starter.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
Cotts as a starter?  You've just got to be kidding me.  Our bullpen has had enough difficulties lately, the last thing I want to do is rob it of 1 of its lefthanders.  Would we bring Walker back up to take Cotts's spot in the pen?  (shuddering).

The fact is this...there is no one who could take over McCarthy's position as a backup to the Cubans (or anyone else who gets hurt) in our organization right now.  This means that if anyone does get hurt and we've already traded BMac, either our chance at a title ends right there or we have to go and pay an even higher price for a pitcher.

What happens if BMac is traded and on August 15th Contreras or El Duque go down with season ending injuries?  You're past the trading deadline then without a backup plan.  And Oh yeah, you're starting a 3 game set with the Twins.

Some good points there. Cotts is a valuable asset to our pen. (Never thought i'd say that) Maybe KW can make a trade for Chavez without giving up BMac? We also have to remember that we would already eat up that huge contract and take that off Oaklands chest. That alone should be worth a solid prospect. We could possibly get away with just trading Crede and Sweeney and another top-prospect pitcher.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
Experiment??  He's started what 3 games in the major leagues.  Now don't get me wrong I don't think he should be an option as a starter this year because he's been solid out of the pen but he really hasn't been given a shot yet to succeed as a starter.

Solid our of the pen? Neal Cotts, the left handed pitcher from the whitesox.

The minute he learns to throw strikes consistantly, maybe get a left hander out or dont s*** himself silly when a bit of pressure is applied we can revisit the "he is solid out of the pen and we can use him as a spot starter"

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
In other words...if we traded BMac and someone did get hurt...we're in real deep dog doo.

Anyone want to play the last month and a half of the season with a 4 man rotation?  That strikes me as a sure fire way to drop out of the playoff hunt real fast.

Exactly. I know Chavez is a big name, and I can understand people getting excited over the thought of having him on the White Sox. But good starters are difficult to find especially at the pay rate BMac will command the next few years, and as awful as people think Crede has been this year, Chavez has been worse. History indicates he will probably turn it around this season, but there are no guarantees. Maybe he is the 2005 version of the 2003 Paul Konerko.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
Solid our of the pen?  Neal Cotts, the left handed pitcher from the whitesox. 

The minute he learns to throw strikes consistantly, maybe get a left hander out or dont s*** himself silly when a bit of pressure is applied we can revisit the "he is solid out of the pen and we can use him as a spot starter"

I'm not getting into another Cotts argument, I've said my piece on him and I'm leaving it at that.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
I consider a guy with a 3.38 ERA solid out of the pen, decent...

Does he let a lot of IR score?  Sure

Does he crap himself in pressure? From time to time.

But 3.38

You can tell right away what kind of night its going to be for Cotts. If he has some control he's very effective. If not, they should yank him after 2 pitches.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
You can tell right away what kind of night its going to be for Cotts. If he has some control he's very effective. If not, they should yank him after 2 pitches.

It'd be hard to yank him after 2 pitches if he became a starter.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
I consider a guy with a 3.38 ERA solid out of the pen, decent...

Does he let a lot of IR score?  Sure

Does he crap himself in pressure? From time to time.

But 3.38

If that was true then Viz pitched himself a stellar game last night. So he shat himself and gave up the rest of the runs. He didnt have any charged to him so he pitched great.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
It'd be hard to yank him after 2 pitches if he became a starter.

I'm not for making him a starter. I'm just commenting on his current role, and I know they would never yank him after 2 pitches, in fact, I don't think you can if its the same batter and there is no injury.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
Maybe he is the 2005 version of the 2003 Paul Konerko.

If he is, we'll have fun reminding ourselves of his career average and potential--until 2011.

In 2003, when Konerko's struggles were of epic proportions, Sox fans were furious he was signed through 2005! Could anymore imagine dealing with Chavez's contract following several dismal seasons.

Just for the sake of being on the record, I don't like this trade if it includes McCarthy. I don't think Chavez over Crede is enough of an upgrade to justify sending a guy, who for all strategic purposes this season, is considered in our starting rotation, and is 21 years old. Chavez and Crede are the same age, and I know four Gold Gloves (which are based just as much on reputation and offense as they are on defense) will be thrown at me for saying this, but defensively, Crede is at least a push to Chavez if not slightly better IMHO.

Where's that Joe Crede Support Group that I signed up for? I feel scammed. Ok, I've made my contribution to the 800+ posts about Eric Chavez; thank God we had something to do on the off day.

QUOTE(gettysburg32 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
I don't think Chavez over Crede is enough of an upgrade to justify sending a guy, who for all strategic purposes this season, is considered in our starting rotation, and is 21 years old. 

GG, All-Star 3B who's just entering his prime years or 27 year old 3B who's done crap and looks to have gotten worse. Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge upgrade.

QUOTE(gettysburg32 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
Chavez and Crede are the same age, and I know four Gold Gloves (which are based just as much on reputation and offense as they are on defense) will be thrown at me for saying this, but defensively, Crede is at least a push to Chavez if not slightly better IMHO. 

HAHAHAHAHA :bang

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
You avoided my question.

Who do you pitch in place of Hernandez if he is on the DL, and McCarthy is gone?

McCarthy wasn't exactly an improvement over the other 5th starters we've run out there in the past. I'm sure it won't be hard to find someone else who would get hammered for 5 innings.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 07:22 PM)
GG, All-Star 3B who's just entering his prime years or 27 year old 3B who's done crap and looks to have gotten worse.  Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge upgrade.

HAHAHAHAHA :bang

Offensively, no doubt Chavez is a better player, even given this year's abysmal early stats for Chavez. But on defense, laugh all you want, but in the last 2 years + 50ish games, Crede's made fewer errors in more games at 3B than Chavez, and no one in MLB makes the number of tough plays that Crede does. I fully said Chavez is better, but not so much so to sacrifice McCarthy.

QUOTE(gettysburg32 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
Offensively, no doubt Chavez is a better player, even given this year's abysmal early stats for Chavez.  But on defense, laugh all you want, but in the last 2 years + 50ish games, Crede's made fewer errors in more games at 3B than Chavez, and no one in MLB makes the number of tough plays that Crede does.  I fully said Chavez is better, but not so much so to sacrifice McCarthy.

There's a statistical reason for why Chavez has more errors than Crede: he covers a larger range than Crede.

Chavez had 1 more error than Crede in 03 and they had the same number in 04. However, both years, Chavez had a higher fielding percentage than Crede? Why? Well, either their pitching staff is such that Chavez is getting more ground balls hit to him overall, or he covers more ground. For that, we can look at the range factor, where Chavez clearly wins

2003 2004

Chavez 3.16 3.10

Crede 2.56 2.43

Chavez clearly has more errors because he covers more range, and therefore has more chances to field the ball.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)
One question - who do you think will trade for Kendall if the As do go on a firesale?

He is making tons of $ too and I doubt Beane keeps him around while rebuilding....

Thoughts?

Unless AJ breaks his neck... NOT A CHANCE.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
There's a statistical reason for why Chavez has more errors than Crede: he covers a larger range than Crede.

Chavez had 1 more error than Crede in 03 and they had the same number in 04.  However, both years, Chavez had a higher fielding percentage than Crede?  Why?  Well, either their pitching staff is such that Chavez is getting more ground balls hit to him overall, or he covers more ground.  For that, we can look at the range factor, where Chavez clearly wins

2003  2004

Chavez      3.16      3.10

Crede        2.56      2.43

Chavez clearly has more errors because he covers more range, and therefore has more chances to field the ball.

OK, good call. If the choice was Crede or Chavez, I'm all for Chavez, but not if McCarthy's gone too. The suggestions of Anderson/Sweeney/etc I'd go along with. McCarthy's my real sticking point.

QUOTE(gettysburg32 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
OK, good call.  If the choice was Crede or Chavez, I'm all for Chavez, but not if McCarthy's gone too.  The suggestions of Anderson/Sweeney/etc I'd go along with.  McCarthy's my real sticking point.

On that point, I wholeheartedly agree. We're gonna need that kid before the end of this year.