MLB has it in for Sox

DBAHO

Carl, Carl, Carl. The rosters expand in Sept. Having less off days in Sept but more in June is not a bad thing. Case in point: are we on target to get 25 starts out of El Duque? Yes. How often did the $NYY's do that?

As for previous years a lot of that has to do with the fact that weather in Chicago meant the CSox start on the road. This year they bucked that trend. JR & company were willing to start at home. With the record what it is I suspect they will petition the league to start at home next year as well.

As for the Cubs vs Milw for IL play yes it's slanted heavily in Min favor in past years. But so far 2005 is a different story. It's given no advantage to either team this year. But there is greater likelihood for Milw to win a series at home vs the Twins then for the Cubs to win one at the Cell.

The heavy Aug is not slanted against the CSox. It's just a money decision by the league. Think about. To kick off the season you want to generate excitement with division rivals so you make sure they play in Apr. You spread IL play over May & June to keep interest high. Division rivals don't mean much. You have the all-star game in Jul to keep interest high.

Aug is all about matching up contenders as the wild card & divisional races take it up another gear. Sept is all about division rivals.

The only real gripe I have about the schedule is in April. I can't stand opening a series with an off-day following the first game. It's not slanted towards the Twins & Yankees out of favoritism to them. It's based on minimizing rain outs for the start of the season. At least that's what I've heard & read. If for some reason the CSox opener were rained out they would play it the next day (the 1st off-day). But that just shows ignorance to the technical marvel that is the Cell. It's considered one of the best drainage parks in the majors.

The first two weeks in April did favor the Twins as a result. They were able to get better pitching matchups with a classic off-day after their first series.

The same applies to the Yankees. I think in general the stupid idea of minimizing rain outs for home openers as outlived it's usefullness. If they have any common sense they'll do away with it after this year. I'm not the only one to gripe about it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(I-HATE-CREDE @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
Yeah, I'm sure Carl is a master manipulator of the media.  Anyway, you guys are obviously close, since you saw him at Soxfest, so you would know better than anyone.

You are so adorable... don't you have the MLB or ESPN boards to be trolling?

I dont care if Carl says the schedule is favored or not. They all play 162 games. The AL plays roughly 90 percent of the same teams, as does the NL. Dont worry about who the Twins and Yankees are playing, worry about winning your own games and all will fall into place.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:38 AM)
As far as interleague games, the Sox are matched up with the Cubs, while Minnesota gets to play Milwaukee.

If we don't catch the Cubs in their occasional random 6 game spurt, doesn't that give us the advantage?

Hell, the Brew Crew are beating up on the Yankees right now.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
carl should do what valentin did and stop hitting righty all together and work on his left side

See, now this makes absolutely no sense to me. Right now, Carl is hitting .353 from the Right side of the plate, and .210 from the left side of the plate.

Why exactly would he want to stop hitting from the side that is working for him?

I understand he needs to work on his left side to get that average out of the sewer, but come on, if you're hitting .350 from one side of the plate, you don't stop hitting from that side. Maybe you even do it more often.

I think Carl's problem is he is focusing too much on power from the left side- that is why is average is down. On the right side- he is more of a contact hitter- that is why his average is up. If Carl shortens his swing from the left side every once in awhile- we will see his average rise up quickly.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Does he do that rocking thing with his body and bat wiggle from his right handed batting stance?

Not to my eyes...he seems far more settled and stationary from the right side. Not that it's a bad thing either way - there are guys that have far wierder motions than anything Carl does.

I think he still opens his stance up when he gets 2 strikes against most pitchers from both sides though.

He's right about this tho - bring back the balanced schedule!!!

and eliminate those arbitrary division designations too.... the top 4 teams in the league should be in the playoffs - having a weak division leader weakens the playoffs.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
He's right about this tho - bring back the balanced schedule!!!

and eliminate those arbitrary division designations too....  the top 4 teams in the league should be in the playoffs - having a weak division leader weakens the playoffs.

so you want a balanced schedule and to eliminate all divisions(basically). Your handle describes the situation perfectly. A longshot.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)
When did Carl say MLB make out the schedules?

:unsure:

Anyway, if there is a dip s*** around, it's Cowley.

Carl's quote..

"As far as the Sox outfielder is concerned, the league has done everything it can to predetermine who makes the postseason by the way it sets up the schedule"

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
Yep. Bring on the Yankees. They are not the same team this year, and playing them is an advantage.

i beg to differ......just wait til we do play them you know they are gonna be streaking

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
Carl's quote..

"As far as the Sox outfielder is concerned, the league has done everything it can to predetermine who makes the postseason by the way it sets up the schedule"

No, that is not Carl's quote. That is Cowley's quote.

In all of Carl's quotes, he says "the schedule makers."

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
No, that is not Carl's quote.  That is Cowley's quote.

In all of Carl's quotes, he says "the schedule makers."

I'll bet $50 Carl believes MLB makes it and has no idea who the Feeney's are.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:33 PM)
Not to my eyes...he seems far more settled and stationary from the right side.  Not that it's a bad thing either way - there are guys that have far wierder motions than anything Carl does.

I think he still opens his stance up when he gets 2 strikes against most pitchers from both sides though.

I wonder if he should try the same stance from both sides.

I dont like talk about conspiracies or curses or jinxes or whatever. Those are excuses that players/teams make for poor play and failing to advance to the next level and they are rather lame excuses at that.

In this case his statement doesn't make much sense because the schedule is weighted toward division play and people just LOVE to harp on the fact that the AL east is tougher than the central. Additionally, even if their interleauge schedule is easier than ours is ( which I doubt ) it isin't helping them any because both the Spanks and the BoSox are playing like s*** this year.

Someone tell Carl the game is played on the field, not in that little room where the schedules are made.