TRADE THREAD II ~ July 2 - July 8

Texsox

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
if they want 2 mlb level starting pitchers in return forget it. They'll probably ask for Jon G and McCarthy in return. Yea right like KW would do something sooo stupid as that.

His asking price will lower as the deadline approches.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
His asking price will lower as the deadline approches.

Yeah, if he has any more games like he had yesterday his asking price will sure drop as the deadline approaches.

Problem is, there would be a good reason for his price to drop...people simply not wanting him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
Yeah, if he has any more games like he had yesterday his asking price will sure drop as the deadline approaches.

Problem is, there would be a good reason for his price to drop...people simply not wanting him.

No matter how s***ty he performs, many teams will still want him. I guarantee that.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
More and more it sounds like nobody has faith in Contreras or Duque.

Well I'm sure they're frusterated with him like the rest of us but why the heck wouldn't you want your top 3 pitching against your division?? That makes perfect sense whether they have faith in Jose or not.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
More and more it sounds like nobody has faith in Contreras or Duque.

You know, that might not be a bad thing. I don't think Contreras or Duque have been horrible, but if Oz and KW are unhappy with them, then it shows what they expect from everyone in the rotation 1-5.

My opinion if they were show casing BMAC tonight the trade is off. BMAC is nowhere near ready for the majors. Give him two years and start over. BMAC is just not ready to pitch in the majors, leaves the balls way up, just like minor leaguers do.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
My opinion if they were show casing BMAC tonight the trade is off. BMAC is nowhere near ready for the majors. Give him two years and start over. BMAC is just not ready to pitch in the majors, leaves the balls way up, just like minor leaguers do.

You are exactly right. He's a AA pitcher starting on the big club.

The two starting pitchers and a top prospect thing is BS, but they aren't going to give him away either. Some team is going to offer them something better than Contreras and McCarthy to get him. Schmidt isn't that much more expensive than Contreras, so taking him in the trade doesn't make much sense. Neither does getting McCarthy if they want to compete next year. My guess is they'll try to rip someone off at the deadline (like trying to get Howard and others from Philly) and if that doesn't work they'll just keep him.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 08:00 PM)
I don't think it's that.  But you'd rather give up Sweeney over Anderson or Young.

I know. Anyone would have been flamed for saying they'd trade Sweeney over Anderson or any other minor league OFer not long ago.

Edited by danman31

Nothing new, just some comments from Ozzie and Dustin.

Trib article

Trade talk

Guillen pooh-poohed ongoing rumors that the Sox would trade for Giants starter Jason Schmidt, even though the Sox have scouted him.

"We have people scouting all over the place," Guillen said. "Jason Schmidt is being scouted by a lot of teams. It's not true [that a trade is near].

"We haven't talked to them that I know of. Maybe [GM Ken Williams] has a different opinion, but Kenny never told me anything about it.

"If we have a chance and we need it, Kenny will pull the trigger. But right now we don't have anything really [hot] going on."

Closer Dustin Hermanson, who pitched with Schmidt last season, was asked if acquiring Schmidt or another player might upset clubhouse chemistry.

"A guy like Jason Schmidt I don't think will ruin chemistry," he said. "I don't know who else is out there. I don't think we'd let anybody ruin our chemistry. We might put them in a corner somewhere [if they tried]."

This is from Tuesday's Southtown.

"While Schmidt would be a nice addition to the starting staff, he is not the whale Williams has on his telescope. Much like Williams had visions of Randy Johnson dancing in his head last season and last offseason, a source has said that Williams will first try to see if prying Roger Clemens from Houston is nothing more than a pipe dream.

Williams cannot discuss players on other teams because of tampering rules, but Clemens would be one pitcher the Sox GM would put together almost any package to try to acquire. Such a move would help the Sox and would also keep Clemens from the Yankees and Red Sox, two teams that could make a run at Clemens because of their resources.

The problem is that Clemens would have to approve a deal to Chicago, which is unlikely. Second, the Astros don't believe they're out of the NL wild card race."

If the Sox got Clemens, the weather report in Hell would be "Record lows - freeze warning today!"

I also would prefer that KW not waste time chasing the impossible. But I could fit Roger into the rotation, I suppose.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 06:41 AM)

"While Schmidt would be a nice addition to the starting staff, he is not the whale Williams has on his telescope. Much like Williams had visions of Randy Johnson dancing in his head last season and last offseason, a source has said that Williams will first try to see if prying Roger Clemens from Houston is nothing more than a pipe dream.

Williams cannot discuss players on other teams because of tampering rules, but Clemens would be one pitcher the Sox GM would put together almost any package to try to acquire. Such a move would help the Sox and would also keep Clemens from the Yankees and Red Sox, two teams that could make a run at Clemens because of their resources.

The problem is that Clemens would have to approve a deal to Chicago, which is unlikely. Second, the Astros don't believe they're out of the NL wild card race."

If the Sox got Clemens, the weather report in Hell would be "Record lows - freeze warning today!"

I also would prefer that KW not waste time chasing the impossible. But I could fit Roger into the rotation, I suppose.

I don't think Kenny believes in the word "impossible".

Edited by YASNY

Guest JimH

Bottom line appears to be they're looking to add a starter and in my opinion, it's just a matter of when it will happen.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 06:41 AM)

What's the point of this non sense article?? To list all the reasons why something we all know won't happen, won't happen?

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Maybe KW will go hard after Clemens, gauge Houston's interests in our prospects, reach a brick wall, and then "settle" for Oswalt.

If Houston trades anybody it will be Clemens- not Oswalt. Oswalt is still young and dominate- Houston will keep Oswalt as they want him and Pettite to hold the rotation down for years to come.Clemens in his (probably) last season- so they will figure why not get some young talent before they lose him for nothing.

BUT- in a ESPN interview about a month ago- Roger said the only team he would 'consider' being traded to is the Yankees. His feelings might change when he sees the White Sox record and realizes his career is winding down- and his really hungry for 1 more World Series title. Not to mention the Yankees don't have any young talent to offer Houston to get Clemens.

I would say Clemens is a pipe dream- but with KW- you just never know?! I would settle for Schmidt though ;)

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 08:21 AM)
Maybe KW will go hard after Clemens, gauge Houston's interests in our prospects, reach a brick wall, and then "settle" for Oswalt.

Good luck. That team is 6 games back in the WC and full of confidence that they can win it.

WOW, there is alot of BS to read here..

Trade for jason Schimdt? :chair :chair Umm yeah We already have an overpaid pitcher who is injuried....and the asking price..Come on people this is not MVP 2005, this is reality.

Trade for Clemens..Doesn't he have a no trade clause? besides, the Astros playing in the weak NLC, they have a legit shot at a playoff birth.. He is not going anywhere.

Of course then there is the only Sp we would want, that makes perfect sense...

AJ Burnett FLA

But we will end up with

Mark Redman.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)
WOW, there is alot of BS to read here..

Umm yeah We already have an overpaid pitcher who is injuried....and the asking price.....

Of course then there is the only Sp we would want, that makes perfect sense...

AJ Burnett FLA

And AJ Burnett doesnt have injury history? How does he make perfect sense? I see him as being as much as a liability as Russ Ortiz...errr El Duque.

I'd like to start a rumor here...

I know that most people don't like the Northsiders; but, what about Willie Harris for Glendon Rusch?

Rusch is a heck of a #5 guy and Harris is the leadoff guy that the Cubs have been whining about needing.

It's cheap and simple.

Please feel free to discuss.

:bringit