2007 White Sox Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

Randomly heard two White Sox references on TV tonight while channel surfing...

First was on Law and Order: SVU where someone asks one of the detectives if October 26, 2005 has any significance to him, and he replies that it was when the White Sox clinched their first WS since 1917.

Second was a Toby Hall reference on one of those VH1 celebrity shows where some guy taking pictures of topher grace accidently calls him toby, and the VH1 show voice-over speculates that he might have confused him with White Sox back-up catcher Toby Hall.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Roto...

Mark Buehrle-S- White Sox Apr. 4 - 9:00 am et

Mark Buehrle has reportedly told the White Sox that he'll let them match any offer he receives on the free-agent market following the season.

Buehrle wasn't able to work out a long-term deal prior to Opening Day and further talks have ceased, but his leaving Chicago may not be quite the done deal many expect. The Cardinals have long been rumored to be his team of choice.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

roto also speculated that Ozzie is going to use more lefties against Santana. That is a great idea, even if it means Pods and Erstad. Santana is absolutely disgustingly good against righties, but doesnt get lefties out at nearly the rate.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 07:38 AM)
roto also speculated that Ozzie is going to use more lefties against Santana. That is a great idea, even if it means Pods and Erstad. Santana is absolutely disgustingly good against righties, but doesnt get lefties out at nearly the rate.

Scott Podsednik is 1/9 career against Santana. Pablowned is 14/49. Erstad is 10/39. Anderson was awful, unsurprisingly. I can understand putting Erstad in there, but I don't think Pods would have a chance.

As for Contreras, Guillen felt his Opening Day struggles ran a bit deeper than bad pitches or Cleveland's solid approach. Contreras reassured Guillen that he felt fine physically after allowing seven earned runs on seven hits in one-plus innings, but Guillen was in search of more information concerning Contreras' mental state.

Guillen pointed out that he never has "seen anybody suffer" like the way Contreras did on Monday. With that thought in mind, Guillen intended to talk with Contreras at length before his next start on Sunday against the Twins and Johan Santana.

"I know Jose, the way he is," Guillen said. "If that happened to Buehrle or whoever the guy under my control, [Jon] Garland, if they don't do it today, they will do it the next day. But Jose takes things real personal, takes things real seriously.

"To just make it clear, I was kind of worried the way he was throwing the ball. I don't see Jose was there. I don't know whether he was going through the motions or I don't know if he was not feeling well.

"He got frustrated a little bit because he got banged," Guillen added. "I just want him to know I'm behind him 100 percent. He know we support him no matter what kind of start he has."

:uhoh

Do we need a team shrink.

Edited by southsideirish71

If the Sox had a horrific April and you were GM, would you be tempted

to go young and tear it up?

I know it's early but I think by the second week of May we're going to

know if we've got a team this year or not.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 11:48 PM)

Memorial Day is Judgment Day 1.

Independence Day is Judgment Day 2.

If you don't know by July 4th, then you don't care about your team.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)

No, why go young than...you have till at least early July to make that decision (whether you are buyers or sellers) and I see no reason why any GM would or should give up that early.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 11:48 PM)

Yeah, especially with the young talent the Sox have and such a tough division.

God dammit only 4 people in my department have to work tomorrow and I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm going to miss my family dinner, Danks MLB debut and I'll be alone in my house for a while (I take that back, my dog wil be here too.) I'll catch the Bulls game at least but tomorrow is gonna be a s***ty day.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 08:42 PM)
God dammit only 4 people in my department have to work tomorrow and I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm going to miss my family dinner, Danks MLB debut and I'll be alone in my house for a while (I take that back, my dog wil be here too.) I'll catch the Bulls game at least but tomorrow is gonna be a s***ty day.

I'll come over and strike you out on two pitches.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 08:42 PM)

call in sick...

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
Ozzie didn't want him on the roster to begin with and he's made that VERY apparent.

Probably a little bit of truth in that, but let's not overlook that Erstad has been playing very well so far and Podsednik has been pretty serviceable enough.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
Probably a little bit of truth in that, but let's not overlook that Erstad has been playing very well so far and Podsednik has been pretty serviceable enough.

There's no reason why Anderson couldn't get a start in CF with Erstad in LF. Despite his batting average Pods has been pretty bad this week, getting Anderson a start in one of the first 7 games of the season was incredibly doable. Ozzie basically came out and said he didn't want Anderson on the roster but had to carry him anyway at the beginning of the season. Getting him 1 AB and an appearance as a pinch runner through the first 5 games and waiting until the end of the 3rd series to get him a start just affirmed it in my mind.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 10:22 PM)
There's no reason why Anderson couldn't get a start in CF with Erstad in LF. Despite his batting average Pods has been pretty bad this week, getting Anderson a start in one of the first 7 games of the season was incredibly doable. Ozzie basically came out and said he didn't want Anderson on the roster but had to carry him anyway at the beginning of the season. Getting him 1 AB and an appearance as a pinch runner through the first 5 games and waiting until the end of the 3rd series to get him a start just affirmed it in my mind.

The thing that makes Anderson the odd man out is that Pods has looked good (I can't beleive I typed that) and Erstad has been the best hitter on the team. Ozuna will play over Anderson against lefties as he can actually hit them and has become a servicable outfielder. The third game of the Oakland series will be the first time Anderson may see the field to give Erstad, Thome or Konerko a day off.