Anyone else currently regreting letting Ross Gload go?

Chisoxrd5

It would be mighty nice having a bat like Ross Gload coming off the bench to replace Thome's in our lineup...I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

BTW, seeing him go 4-4 and bringing his average up to .307 for the season brought me upon this revelation.

Ah, the entire lineup right now is playing so bad that I'm not sure Ross would even be effective if you tossed him in there. If guys like Konerko, Dye, Pierzynski and Iguchi are all struggling at the same time there's nothing that makes me think Gload would do any different.

I'll take the 26 year old power lefty who's 5 years away from free agency.

Ross is a very nice player to have, but I'll always take pitching over position players.

Even though it doesn't seem like it these days, capable hitters are easier to find than capable pitchers, especially ones who pitch capably with their left arms.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ May 3, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
I wonder if KC would have taken Mackowiak for Sisco or Anderson for Sisco. We'll never know.

Trading Anderson for him would have been a horrible move at the time. He was a talented player coming off a rough rookie season in a time when the only depth the White Sox had in CF was Luis Terrero and Ryan Sweeney. It would have been a horrible move. Even now, I still don't make that move. I might make it a year from now, but not before then.

Mackowiak would have been questionable. He fills a huge role on the Sox, seeing as how he's the 4th OFer (though he would be one of the best utility players in the league if Ozzie ever played him at 2B, 3B, or 1B instead of just LF and RF), but a 4th OFer is a player that's easily acquired, such as signing a Darin Erstad on the free agent market. The problem herein obviously lies in the fact that Darin Erstad is starting and Mackowiak is still depended upon to be the 4th OFer and it gets ugly in a hurry.

In the example of Ross Gload, he wasn't getting playing time until very late in the year last year, and he was sitting behind Thome. If Thome doesn't go down, Gload never plays, and it's a waste of value. If you can trade your backup at a position where you have a cog like Thome for an arm like Sisco, you do it every time and there's no question about it.

No, trading Gload for Sisco was not the wrong move, and it never will be. You can count on Thome getting a little banged up over the course of the year, but you can't count on the highest average on the team being .258, the highest OBP being .360, the second highest OBP being .309, and the highest OPS being .762. Gload doesn't change any of that.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 3, 2007 -> 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be mighty nice having a bat like Ross Gload coming off the bench to replace Thome's in our lineup...I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

BTW, seeing him go 4-4 and bringing his average up to .307 for the season brought me upon this revelation.

Amazing what one game will do.

Ross Gload went 4-for-4 with a triple, a double and two RBI in the win over the Angels on Thursday.

Gload has upped his OPS from 656 to 857 during a seven-game hitting streak. He'll continue to receive regular playing time against right-handers while Ryan Shealy is out and maybe beyond.

Oh right

The White Sox had a suitable Gload replacement with Eduardo Perez, but they just had to have 4 borderline 3rd/4th OF's on the team.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 3, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)
The White Sox had a suitable Gload replacement with Eduardo Perez, but they just had to have 4 borderline 3rd/4th OF's on the team.

We have our winner! It's amazing that once Toby Hall got hurt, we didn't add Perez to the roster. It's as if KW and Ozzie thought being dominated by tough lefty pitchers wouldn't happen again this season with the same exact lineup we had last year vs them.

Edited by fathom

Ross Gload would have always been a reserve/bench player for the Sox. I am glad that he is having a chance in KC to play full time, but they are in last place. Not that we might not be in a week or so hitting like this, but right now it's KC.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 3, 2007 -> 10:52 PM)
We have our winner! It's amazing that once Toby Hall got hurt, we didn't add Perez to the roster. It's as if KW and Ozzie thought being dominated by tough lefty pitchers wouldn't happen again this season with the same exact lineup we had last year vs them.

I'm just pissed that last year, the Sox didn't let the best LFer they had on the roster (Gload) actually play. I would've loved to have Gload lead off for the Sox last year for the whole second half when Podsednik was doing his usual crap-ass routine.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 3, 2007 -> 06:22 PM)
A trade can actually help both teams.

Totally. I'm the biggest Gload fan here and am glad we got a great addition to our bullpen while Ross goes to one of the few teams in the majors where he will play everyday.

QUOTE(Friend of Nordhagen @ May 3, 2007 -> 07:29 PM)
I don't regret the trade -- thought it was a fair one at the time and still do now. I do, however, miss the one guy who didn't try to hit the ball a mile every time up. I'll say that for Gload: he hit it where it was pitched.

Maybe he could be our batting instructor.

Better than Walker!

Just FYI..I thought the trade was great and I still do. I was just throwing it out for conversation sake, and the fact that we found NO viable replacement for him in the offseason. Eduardo Perez was the guy but of course we released him.

I love having Sisco and think his upside is far greater than what Gload ever could give us riding the pine for Ozzie.