2007 Post ASB White Sox Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

Not sure if this had been posted before, but looks like Paulie will be in the next line of McFarlane figures, to be released in February. I know it's a smaller picture, but check out Paulie's face....it looks pretty bad.

At least there will be another Sox player out there; of the 20 different series, i think there have only been 4 Sox players: Maggs, Thomas, Pods and Thome.

spawn.com link

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleveland is going nowhere next year.

The Tribe is scary good.

Our division is gonna remain strong.

Hope we're not just playing for the Wildcard.

The Rockies on the other hand ... lightning in a bottle like us in 05.

I think they will suck next year.

It's their year. They better make it count.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 16, 2007 -> 10:30 PM)
Cleveland is going nowhere next year.

The Rockies on the other hand ... lightning in a bottle like us in 05.

I'd like to know how you came up with these two theories. As good as Cleveland looks, the Sox and last years Tigers looked just as good(better in the Sox case) and both failed to make the playoffs the next season.

As for the Rockies, they got their whole core lineup coming back, their rotation should be even stronger with Morales and Jiminez in it for the whole season and they'll have a very good core in their pen as well(though who knows with a bullpen).

I can honestly see both teams contending for a championship next season or neither could make the playoffs, that's baseball.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 09:21 AM)
It amazes me that some people still think that a team who won 99 games, was in first place the entire season and then went 11-1 through the post-season "caught lightning in a bottle". :lol:

'There was some terrible, terrible luck on top of it all,'' Cooper said. ''I don't believe that bad luck could go the same way. I kind of like to say it's the bizarro year of 2005, where everything went our way.
Seems our pitching coach thought '05 had a lot to do with luck

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 01:09 PM)
Seems our pitching coach thought '05 had a lot to do with luck

All sports and all events therein involve some luck. That's why they play 162 games times 9+ innings times 6 outs and a bunch of other plays times innumerable pitches, etc., etc. Over a whole season, luck tends to even out. Its simple statistics - larger sample set, less luck involved. And looking at the other teams that have won championships, the 2005 Sox make a case for having one of the most dominant overall seasons ever, based on their record throughout. That's why I find the idea that 2005 was "lightning in a bottle" to be pretty laughable.

Lately Dick Allen has been on fire with some good posts, so I'll ask the question to

him so I don't get flamed. ...

--Do you think Ross Gload would have been a good guy to have had on last year's

team? Should we have kept Gload and passed on Grinder?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
Lately Dick Allen has been on fire with some good posts, so I'll ask the question to

him so I don't get flamed. ...

--Do you think Ross Gload would have been a good guy to have had on last year's

team? Should we have kept Gload and passed on Grinder?

What, no haiku?

:lol:

Sorry, just kidding. Couldn't help it.

By the way, Gload was traded for Sisco, who I don't think anyone calls "grinder".

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 03:31 PM)
Implying that Gload be kept over signing Erstad.

Well you know me, I'm as big a Gload fan as there is.

But Ross cannot play CF. He maybe could have been an average defender in LF or RF given some playing time. But that is the limit of his OF abilities.

G-Load would have been a nice piece to have when Pods got injured, and also to spell Thome. But that would not have made much difference in the results of the season in any case. He got a chance to virtually start in KC, which is what he, KC and I think even the Sox wanted for him. Plus the Sox got a high potential take-a-chance pitcher out of it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
Ryan Bukvich.......................................he gone.

Not a surprise, but... details? Source? Was he released from the 40, or picked up by someone else via waivers, or traded (for a bag of balls) or what?

ETA: NVM, found it.

Bukvich outrighted to Charlotte by the Sox, elects free agency instead of taking the assignment. Also, Crede and Ozuna added to the 40-man roster, which now stands at 39.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 03:40 PM)
Not a surprise, but... details? Source? Was he released from the 40, or picked up by someone else via waivers, or traded (for a bag of balls) or what?

According to sources he was a lousy candidate for the baseball pun name game. So they decided to let him go.

Edited by BigSqwert

I am not making a big deal about this, but statements like this from Ryan Sweeney kind of make me want to puke when I am getting up at 5:30am to drive an hour to work after working all weekend on a major project:

Chicago White Sox outfield prospect Ryan Sweeney capped a long day -- and night -- at the office when he singled to right field with one out in the 10th, scoring Travis Snider (Blue Jays) with the decisive run.

Sweeney did not start the game but came on in the sixth inning as a replacement for starting right fielder Nolan Reimold (Orioles). The pair, both of whom are members of the Phoenix Desert Dogs, had played a full game earlier in the day as the Desert Dogs fell to Team China, 2-1.

"I was definitely exhausted coming into the game, but I think once we got here our attitude just stepped up," said Sweeney, a 2003 second-round pick who made his Major League debut this past summer. "Once we saw all the fans, we were ready to go out there and play."

Meanwhile, what might have been even more fun for Sweeney after his long day would have been a chance to go home and sleep 12 hours. But that wasn't going to happen.

"I have a day game tomorrow," he laughed. "I have to be at the field at 9 a.m."

Imagine that, playing 1-1/2 games in one day and then having to play baseball again the next morning. What a horrible life.

Brian doing his part to get traded. Bye Brian, hope you enjoy the commemorative 2005 WS DVD as a parting gift.

"If the White Sox are really worried about me getting at-bats, well, I sat on [the bench] and had 17 at-bats for the whole first month [last season]," said Anderson of a possible winter playing stint in Mexico during an interview with MLB.com. "Apparently, at-bats weren't that important.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)
Brian doing his part to get traded. Bye Brian, hope you enjoy the commemorative 2005 WS DVD as a parting gift.

"If the White Sox are really worried about me getting at-bats, well, I sat on [the bench] and had 17 at-bats for the whole first month [last season]," said Anderson of a possible winter playing stint in Mexico during an interview with MLB.com. "Apparently, at-bats weren't that important.

Just when I thought there were no more bridges left for Anderson to burn, he fines one.