Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 7, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
Abrams must not have dropped a C note in Eberts pocket at the viewing

Oh give me a break. I don't think people appreciate how good of a movie reviewer Ebert is. You won't come across it from his stupid star reviews or his TV show, but his writing is phenomenal. Even in movies he doesn't like he explains why he didn't like it and what was to like, or what people could take away liking from it. And he's a great writer. His actual newspaper reviews speak very eloquently about a film in a way a review should work, helping people decide whether to see it or not. He's had reviews where clearly he was not thrilled about, but written in a way that I knew I could like it. I love ebert.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ May 8, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
Oh give me a break. I don't think people appreciate how good of a movie reviewer Ebert is. You won't come across it from his stupid star reviews or his TV show, but his writing is phenomenal. Even in movies he doesn't like he explains why he didn't like it and what was to like, or what people could take away liking from it. And he's a great writer. His actual newspaper reviews speak very eloquently about a film in a way a review should work, helping people decide whether to see it or not. He's had reviews where clearly he was not thrilled about, but written in a way that I knew I could like it. I love ebert.

Well Said :cheers

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...VIEWS/905069997

Read it. Notice the difference between a movie blogger's snarkiness and Ebert. Even as he continues his tangent about the implausibility of the science, he ties it into how it works as a lazy plot device. But more than that, he realizes that other people could see his hanging onto the science of a science FICTION movie as frivilous and acknowledges it. He doesn't rail into the film for railings sake over something many might not give a s*** about. Edited following sentence: To find the absence of righteous indignation in movie review's nowadays is refreshing. "Look at how many way's I can say this movie sucks!"

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ May 8, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)

I appreciate him just fine. Take a chill pill, it was a joke. I have never gone out of my way to criticize his reviews in any way shape or fashion, and I used to tune in to Siskel and Ebert/Ebert and Roeper at the movies growing up on WGN. I know how he writes and think he has been a great writer for his entire career.

I will go back and put my comment in green so you can pull your wedgie out

QUOTE (Brian @ May 8, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
Can Bay ruin it even more?

I didnt think it was ruined in the first round, but whatever. Awesome action and corny dialogue, I will take it

I have never been a Star Trek fan. I have never seen an entire episode of any Star Trek series. I have never seen a Star Trek movie.

J.J. Abrams' Star Trek was beyond enjoyable. It was one of the best movies I have ever seen.

The way they incorporated Leonard Nimoy was beyond brilliant.

I implore all non-fans of the series to check this out... it's awesome. Those of you who are, I presume you'll be putting the pants you s*** in in the washing machine when you return.

What an awesome movie.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 8, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
I didnt think it was ruined in the first round, but whatever. Awesome action and corny dialogue, I will take it

I actually thought the first one worked better as a comedy then as an action movie. Still enjoyed it though.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 8, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)
I have never been a Star Trek fan. I have never seen an entire episode of any Star Trek series. I have never seen a Star Trek movie.

J.J. Abrams' Star Trek was beyond enjoyable. It was one of the best movies I have ever seen.

I implore all non-fans of the series to check this out... it's awesome. Those of you who are, I presume you'll be putting the pants you s*** in in the washing machine when you return.

What an awesome movie.

same. I watched an episode of each series here and there....never was a fan of the show. Went to watch the movie, and I got to say it's the best movie I've seen released this year.

What an awesome movie.

Wow I guess I will see it then.

What an awesome movie.

This is how I am regarding Star Trek. I've never seen an episode of the show, but when I saw the trailer for this new movie, I kind of thought it looked good. Glad to hear it's worth seeing even for someone that knows nothing about Star Trek.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 8, 2009 -> 08:20 AM)
They even fixed that in a line in the film. They say something to the effect of, "the bonding process has not completed". It's an easy fix, so i don't mind it. What they did with

Wade Was basically a round about way of doing what they did with him in the comics. Weapon X, terrible experimentations, healing factor, powers, scarring.

Yeah, the only thing I can think of is he wasn't ready to go yet that's why he looked the way he did.

steve was right about Star Trek...I always used to hate anything trekky but that movie was freaking awesome.

I knew there was going to be some traveling through TIME and space but the time kinda confused a brother in some spots.

But this was my favorite movie so far this year.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ May 11, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
P.S. Can somebody teach me how to embed videos here?

Hopefully I can explain this easily... Sorry if it's confusing.

1) Take the "embed" link from the video, and copy & paste it into your post.

2) Change "Post Options" from "HTML Off" to "HTML On - Auto Linebreak Mode"

- "post options" is located under this text box, but above the optional post icons --> shouldn't be hard to find

Then you're done. Just add your reply.