Predict where A-Rod will be playing in 2008

gosox41

We've all seen the numbers Boras thinks A-Rod is worth---$$300-400 mill over 10 years. But lately there have been some questions as to who is going to be the sucker to give him the money. Even if it's "only" $30 mill per year for 5 years, what team do you think will bow down to Boras?

There are rumors that Boras was hyping this money up assuming the Yankees were going to be negotiating if A-Rod opted out. The Yanks say they won't but will negotiate before he declares free agency. If that is true, the market Boras is expecting for A-Rod just burst wide open as Boras is probably banking on the Yanks to at least be a floor for negotiations. If the Yanks are smart, they'd either renegotiate a more reasonable contract with A-Rod or let him walk and get good starting pitching.

All that being said, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Personally, I think he's staying in NY. Boras is going to realize that no team is in a position to give him the money he wants. All this crap he's been spewing the last few days about salaries not being high enough based on revenue is drivel. There's a point where even the dumbest of owners won't by into the Broas hype and give A-Rod whatever he wants.

What do you think?

Bob

I think it will be interesting if NY stays true to their stance "We will not negotiate with A-Rod if he opts out". It definitely takes some of the bargaining and leverage out of the picture if the Yankees arent there for Boras to lean on while squeezing pennies out of owners

It's show time. The biggest agent on sports with a certain HoF player about to hit his prime. It will be a record contract, there are only a couple teams that could swallow it. Grab the popcorn, lock up your wallet, this is going to be fun. Plus, he's someone that could legit play in either league without much of a drop off. With Boras as an agent, factors like playing in the AL with the DH at the end of his career will not come into play. It's like knowing tomorrow's lotto numbers.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 07:37 AM)
I think it will be interesting if NY stays true to their stance "We will not negotiate with A-Rod if he opts out". It definitely takes some of the bargaining and leverage out of the picture if the Yankees arent there for Boras to lean on while squeezing pennies out of owners

With the changeover in ownership, the loss of Torre... I think the Steinbrenner boys are here to put a mark on the franchise as being smart and not just an overspender. A-Rod just might walk... but I hope that's not to the Southside of Chicago, unless I'm forgetting a team A-Rod actually took to the World Series much less won it with.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 09:23 AM)
It's show time. The biggest agent on sports with a certain HoF player about to hit his prime. It will be a record contract, there are only a couple teams that could swallow it. Grab the popcorn, lock up your wallet, this is going to be fun. Plus, he's someone that could legit play in either league without much of a drop off. With Boras as an agent, factors like playing in the AL with the DH at the end of his career will not come into play. It's like knowing tomorrow's lotto numbers.

Isn't he in the latter part of what is generally considered players' primes? I'm not saying I expect his numbers to drastically drop, but normally a player turning 26, 27, 28 is considered about to hit his prime, not one turning 32.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 10:03 AM)
In this order:

NY Yankees

Boston Red Sox

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, California, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth

Chicago Cubs

Agree with that list. Cubs will depend on their ownership, IMO if they get it sold quickly and owner wants to make a splash, they jump up to the top. However, if it drags on, I think they might have problems adding a contract like that on.

I predict the Florida Marlins make a huge push for ARod if he opts out. Its home for him, and its the one place he could make the biggest box office difference. It will help get a new park built and its not like the Marlins have a huge payroll. They are the one franchise that can gain the most by acquiring him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)
Agree with that list. Cubs will depend on their ownership, IMO if they get it sold quickly and owner wants to make a splash, they jump up to the top. However, if it drags on, I think they might have problems adding a contract like that on.

Steve Stone was saying that the team may not sell until mid 2008. Heck the Tribune deal may not even go through to Zell. So any negotiations with Zell will be a moot point as they may now have to negotiate with the Trib.

Bob

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 07:33 PM)
This argument sucks ass.

The Yankees were the best shot because they were the only team that could absorb a contract of that magnitude and not feel the negative side-effects.

If he signs for near that amount on a team with lesser payroll flexibility, that's it, there will be no championship for them.

The argument doesn't suck ass.

I think he'll end up with the LA Angels.

That could be good news for us as the Angels could look to dump salaries to pave way for ARod.

OC and Shields could be guys on their way out for a prospect or two to clear around 15 million.

I think it is the Angels as they have sustainable youth to control the payroll and I think Arte and Boras already have discussed this and ownership. By opting out, A-Rod cost the Yanks $30M that they were getting from Texas.

I guess maybe A-Rod really wants out and it is not all about money.

That is a huge gamble on Boras part.

What is the tampering penalty as opoossed to securing a deal of that magnitude?

So noone here believes Moreno when he says that signing ARod would send the wrong message to Guerrero?

My first guess is Boston. They'll be flush with cash, and signing ARod will make easier the eventual departure of Ramirez. Then the Dodgers, Cubs, Giants, Angels, in that order.

Oh, and the Rangers. Can't forget the Rangers.