White Sox decline Erstad, Myers options

TLAK

2 of the worst players in baseball, Gonzalez and Hall are still on the roster. Hall may bounce back, they should see if he has anything in spring training. Maybe they can let Andy be the bench coach if Cora goes to Pittsburgh since they like him so much. He shouldn't be playing major league baseball.

2 of the worst players in baseball, Gonzalez and Hall are still on the roster. Hall may bounce back, they should see if he has anything in spring training. Maybe they can let Andy be the bench coach if Cora goes to Pittsburgh since they like him so much. He shouldn't be playing major league baseball.

I can't believe how similar Hall's career line is to Neifi Perez's.

I agree this is great news.

I don't mock Erstad, though.

He was a good player once. Just not with the Sox.

Didn't he used to kill the Sox when he played for the Angels? If that's why we signed

him, that's a dumb reason.

By all accounts, he's a hard working player who gives it his all, so I won't rip him.

s***, he might be like Kenny Lofton and do a good job for some team next year.

Lofton sucked as a Sox and is still around.

I don't however, want Lofton, and don't want Grinder.

Good luck to Grinder, though.

Myers was so bad, it's laughable. Thank God he's gone as well.

Edited by greg775

Well, of the original dead weight that must go list:

Erstad (check)

Myers (check)

Pods

Cintron

Uribe

Great news is it looks like all 5 will be gone, which is a GREAT start to the offseason. Awesome news.

Uh, that's not a complete list.

Sisco, MacDougal must be sent a one-way back to KC.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)
I hope everyone is aware that we basically have until Uribe's deadline to make a move. KW is only waiting that long because he is trying to see what he can get to play SS. I would say any big splash we make at that position will happen in the next several days.

I don't quite buy that. Realistically, Uribe is going to want somewhere to start, and probability suggests he will be one of the last players brought in as a starting player. Thus, I can easily see the Sox declining it, to tell him they'll keep in touch but to seek other offers, and that they'll have an offer on the table for him if he or the Sox cannot find anything to their liking, which I see as very possible as well.

I'm not too concerned.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 03:41 AM)
No, they said it might take 10 days. I'd imagine KW is seeing what it would take to get Tejada, Furcal, or someone like Jack Wilson.

So should we all be excited that in 10 days or less we will have new shortstop? Furcal is the dude that i want on this team... he would be a decent leadoff hitter or a great #2 hitter. His SBs were down last year but he is exactly what this team needs...

What will it take to get him?

Williams and Guillen want backups who:

play contact baseball, i.e. not K a lot

show more athleticism and speed and can steal bases

won't get hurt all the time

won't throw pity parties when things don't go their way

know how to work the count and make a pitcher work

fit well in the clubhouse

That rules out Erstad and Anderson.

Erstad is a perfectly acceptable 4th outfielder if the Sox bring in a top flight CF prospect or young top notch cfer. If they go with a more proven guy in left I'd rather just let someone like Jerry Owens or Brian Anderson get the backup spot as they will be cheaper.

Still, I have no problem with Erstad on the Sox its just he can't possibly be doing anything more than being a defensive replacement/pinch runner/once a week at most starter.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 02:47 PM)
Still, I have no problem with Erstad on the Sox its just he can't possibly be doing anything more than being a defensive replacement/pinch runner/once a week at most starter.

You know the problem with that as well as any of us do. If the most Grindy man in the world is on this team, he will be expected and required to do more than that. He'll play CF on a regular basis even if he's not the best choice. He'll play 1b when there's a righty in the lineup and Mr. Thome will somehow be the guy resting that day despite Thome's L/R splits. It's just how things work.