CREDE CREDE CREDE

NCsoxfan

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
I dont see KW trading Crede for a guy like Fred Lewis... How does he help us? I imagine we would be looking for pitching and not another guy that needs to be added to the 40 man roster?

Not just the 40 man roster, he'd have to be added to the active (25 man) roster. There's no room for someone like Fred Lewis.

Howdy All... it's been a while since I've posted here. I'm not sure if Crede has done something to anger this organization (Scott Boras aside), but it seems as if they are writing him off. If I were KW here is what I would do... Give Crede whatever is fair market value for a player of his caliber. He is arguably the best defensive third baseman in the AL and his bat has finally caught up with his play at third. Move Fields to first, yes thats what I said... move Fields to first. Trade Paulie and reload the farm system. I know everyone loves Paulie, but In my opinion he is as overrated as they come. He is a head case that has not produced for a full season in years. He gets into slumps that often last for 4-6 weeks where he does nothing but try and pull the ball, and is downright awful, hitting into double plays seemingly once sometimes twice a game. Look it up. It is well known that even though he was named the team captain, he is far from the clubhouse leader that everyone likes to think he is. His base running is terrible at best. I don't care how slow he is. Speed does not necessarily equate to being a good base runner. His range at first is limited, and I don't think I have EVER seen him attempt to "strech" at first base on a close play. He may have another good season or two in him but from where I sit he has already peaked and is on the downside of his career. In another month he will become a 5 and 10 player and we will be stuck with him. His heroics in '05 were awesome, and we probably don't win a championship without him, but in this game its about "what have you done for me lately". Yeah I know he hit 30hrs last year. Big deal. I can count one one hand how many of them were in the clutch. I bet that more than a third of them were solo shots. It may seem as if I am bashing him, but I am not. I am merely stating the obvious. He left me with memories from the '05 season that I will have for the rest of my life, but so did that girl I met back in the 8th grade.

QUOTE(Haarold @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 05:48 AM)
He gets into slumps that often last for 4-6 weeks where he does nothing but try and pull the ball, and is downright awful, hitting into double plays seemingly once sometimes twice a game. Look it up.

I'll try

QUOTE(Haarold @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 11:48 PM)
I'm not sure if Crede has done something to anger this organization (Scott Boras aside), but it seems as if they are writing him off.

How can you put Scott Boras aside if he is the reason that the Sox are writing him off?

QUOTE(Haarold @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 05:48 AM)
Howdy All... it's been a while since I've posted here. I'm not sure if Crede has done something to anger this organization (Scott Boras aside), but it seems as if they are writing him off. If I were KW here is what I would do... Give Crede whatever is fair market value for a player of his caliber. He is arguably the best defensive third baseman in the AL and his bat has finally caught up with his play at third. Move Fields to first, yes thats what I said... move Fields to first. Trade Paulie and reload the farm system. I know everyone loves Paulie, but In my opinion he is as overrated as they come. He is a head case that has not produced for a full season in years. He gets into slumps that often last for 4-6 weeks where he does nothing but try and pull the ball, and is downright awful, hitting into double plays seemingly once sometimes twice a game. Look it up. It is well known that even though he was named the team captain, he is far from the clubhouse leader that everyone likes to think he is. His base running is terrible at best. I don't care how slow he is. Speed does not necessarily equate to being a good base runner. His range at first is limited, and I don't think I have EVER seen him attempt to "strech" at first base on a close play. He may have another good season or two in him but from where I sit he has already peaked and is on the downside of his career. In another month he will become a 5 and 10 player and we will be stuck with him. His heroics in '05 were awesome, and we probably don't win a championship without him, but in this game its about "what have you done for me lately". Yeah I know he hit 30hrs last year. Big deal. I can count one one hand how many of them were in the clutch. I bet that more than a third of them were solo shots. It may seem as if I am bashing him, but I am not. I am merely stating the obvious. He left me with memories from the '05 season that I will have for the rest of my life, but so did that girl I met back in the 8th grade.

I too believe Crede should be kept and we need to look a year or two into the future about Fields either playing 1B/DH or in the OF. I wouldn't be so quick to trade Konerko, but all things are possible and Jim Thome might only have a year or two left. There isn't much in our farm system left and if we go the free agent route to replace players we are paying big bucks for someone elses players and not keeping our own talent.

Edited by elrockinMT

I dont get it. Why is it so hard to understand that Boras is going to take Crede to free agency and get him paid like the top 3B in free agency? The Sox arent gonna pay that money. Move on. Get over it. Fields is the man who is taking his place. End O' Story

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
I too believe Crede should be kept and we need to look a year or two into the future about Fields either playing 1B/DH or in the OF. I wouldn't be so quick to trade Konerko, but all things are possible and Jim Thome might only have a year or two left. There isn't much in our farm system left and if we go the free agent route to replace players we are paying big bucks for someone elses players and not keeping our own talent.

Mediocre 3Bman should not be kept long-term when there is a 3Bman with higher upside already in the wings.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
I dont get it. Why is it so hard to understand that Boras is going to take Crede to free agency and get him paid like the top 3B in free agency? The Sox arent gonna pay that money. Move on. Get over it. Fields is the man who is taking his place. End O' Story

Bingo. Its not that the Sox don't like Crede, its that they know there is a zero chance of him being a White Sox in 2009. You get what you can for him and move on.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 09:33 AM)

100% true. Defense is highly underated on this board. With Sox starting pitching a huge question mark its imperative to have as many above average defenders on the field as possible. I would love to have Crede at 3rd and Fields at 1st also but there's zero chance of that happening. Crede is just as capable a hitter as Fields except for power. As Fields is the heir apparent at 3rd one of my highest hopes for the season is to see marked improvement as a fielder. Young pitchers need to build confidence and good D is key to getting them out of jams. If he continues to be a butcher then 1st base will be his only option in the very near future.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(Haarold @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)
Mediocre? If Crede is mediocre at third who do you consider to be good?

I think the better question is what do you feel is mediocre? Crede provides excellent defense, this we do not doubt. However, he has had one good year and a few less than mediocre years, his career batting average is .259 and his best (full) year was in 2006 when he hit .283....then had back surgery.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(Haarold @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)
Mediocre? If Crede is mediocre at third who do you consider to be good?

Third basemen that every single GM in baseball would rather have right now than Joe Crede:

Alex Rodriguez

Miguel Cabrera

David Wright

Aramis Ramirez

Ryan Zimmerman

Chipper Jones

Garret Atkins

Adrian Beltre

Alex Gordon

Evan Longoria

Mike Lowell

Kevin Youkilis

Josh Fields

Brandon Wood

Kevin Kouzmanoff

Andy LaRoche

and probably more. In addition to having only one offensive season that is better than average, Crede just had, um, major back surgery

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
100% true. Defense is highly underated on this board. With Sox starting pitching a huge question mark its imperative to have as many above average defenders on the field as possible. I would love to have Crede at 3rd and Fields at 1st also but there's zero chance of that happening. Crede is just as capable a hitter as Fields except for power. As Fields is the heir apparent at 3rd one of my highest hopes for the season is to see marked improvement as a fielder. Young pitchers need to build confidence and good D is key to getting them out of jams. If he continues to be a butcher then 1st base will be his only option in the very near future.

Funny in the wayback machine, we were talking about how much of a stud that Ventura was and how Crede wasn't near his offensive prowess and how could Crede take over for the defensive wizardry that Ventura showed. Now a few years later, people act like Crede was a gold glover coming up.

In 2002 Crede received his first taste of the big leagues, he had a 2.36 RF9(Range Factor for 9 innings played) with a zone rating of .766 while Fields had a 2.69 with a zone rating of .713. Crede had 8 errors in 53 games while Fields had 9 errors in 79 games. The almighty's Fielding Percentage was .938 for the god of Gold Glove while Fields has a .958. So as much as we remember the DVD's and the Hawk comparisons to Brooks Robinson, Mr. Crede wasnt Brooks out of the gate like some people believe.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 07:33 PM)
Third basemen that every single GM in baseball would rather have right now than Joe Crede:

Alex Rodriguez

Miguel Cabrera

David Wright

Aramis Ramirez

Ryan Zimmerman

Chipper Jones

Garret Atkins

Adrian Beltre

Alex Gordon

Evan Longoria

Mike Lowell

Kevin Youkilis

Josh Fields

Brandon Wood

Kevin Kouzmanoff

Andy LaRoche

and probably more. In addition to having only one offensive season that is better than average, Crede just had, um, major back surgery

Your list is a joke. How many of those guys are wearing rings right now? Pitching and defense win baseball games. Period.

QUOTE(Haarold @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
Your list is a joke. How many of those guys are wearing rings right now? Pitching and defense win baseball games. Period.

Correct. I'd take a team of Timo Perez's over a team of Barry Bonds's any day.

QUOTE(Haarold @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)

What does this have to do with a player being mediocre? Last I checked it takes a TEAM to win a ring

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
What does this have to do with a player being mediocre? Last I checked it takes a TEAM to win a ring

No and no. If you have a ring, you were the reason you got it. There's no other reasoning. Period.

I'm totally series.