2008 White Sox Catch-All Thread

Heads22

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 03:45 AM)
Oh yeah, I forgot Dye was an absolute stud from the second half on last year. His season last year is a perfect example as to why you don't give up on a hitter who has been good for, you know, like 10 years with perhaps another bad year mixed in there just because they struggle for a while battling injuries, especially at lowest value.

I'm so damn glad the Red Sox didn't trade for him last year.

And to answer the question, that is probably one of the best free agent signings of the past 10 or 15 years, everything considered.

OPS over 1 in 06, going to have an ops over .900 this year and oh ya there was that whole World Series MVP thing.

He's done ok.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 03:38 AM)
Stopping at August 1st, in his last 168 games(going back to last year), he has put up a line of: .311, 41 HR, 106 RBI, 105 R, 3 SB.

Best FA signing by the Sox ever?

I think there is a very good chance he is. I remember when we signed him, I just liked him because he took less money from us to spurn Arizona, and hoped he would simply be able to soften the blow of losing Magglio and his production pre knee injury. Boy has he done more than that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
Stopping at August 1st, in his last 168 games(going back to last year), he has put up a line of: .311, 41 HR, 106 RBI, 105 R, 3 SB.

Best FA signing by the Sox ever?

Great stuff...I agree with you, best Sox signing ever and already one of the top 10-15 most important Sox players in franchise history.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
I think there is a very good chance he is. I remember when we signed him, I just liked him because he took less money from us to spurn Arizona, and hoped he would simply be able to soften the blow of losing Magglio and his production pre knee injury. Boy has he done more than that.

To clarify, while he did take less money to stay with the Sox, that's not the full story. As I recall, Dye had a handshake type agreement with the Sox for that contract, then someone (I am not sure it was ARI, maybe TEX) came in with a bigger offer, and Dye elected to stay.

Not quite taking less money, but, still a class move.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 12:13 PM)
To clarify, while he did take less money to stay with the Sox, that's not the full story. As I recall, Dye had a handshake type agreement with the Sox for that contract, then someone (I am not sure it was ARI, maybe TEX) came in with a bigger offer, and Dye elected to stay.

Not quite taking less money, but, still a class move.

I recall it being Texas too...if it means anything.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
Does anybody remember the scenario of the suspended game that they will be finishing in Baltimore?

Any pitchers who have already pitched and been taken out cannot pitch again. Any new roster additions can be played in this game.

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
Do you guys think that Jr will start Tuesday at home? We are facing a lefty, but it is his first game home.

From the Sox page:

Ken Griffey Jr. will make his debut at U.S. Cellular Field on Tuesday. It marks his first time in a home Chicago uniform, and he's eager to see fan reaction.

I hope he's playing tonight.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
Thanks, but I meant the score, innings, etc.

Supposedly Linebrink and Sherrill will be on the mound for their teams(obviously this may or may not change) .. I thought it was in the 8th inning I may be wrong, I forget the score

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 06:55 PM)
Supposedly Linebrink and Sherrill will be on the mound for their teams(obviously this may or may not change) .. I thought it was in the 8th inning I may be wrong, I forget the score

I thought Sherrill was already out of the game. IIRC, it was Johnson who K'd Anderson to end that inning.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 01:08 PM)
I thought Sherrill was already out of the game. IIRC, it was Johnson who K'd Anderson to end that inning.

Nope, Johnson was in the bottom of the 10th, when Hernandez caught the tipped bunt attempt by Anderson and got Quentin off on 3rd. Then at the top of the 11th, Hernandez hit a homer off of Linebrink, Sherrill came in Bottom of 11th and Uribe hit a homer. So they are through 11 innings, 3-3 tie.

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 07:15 PM)
Nope, Johnson was in the bottom of the 10th, when Hernandez caught the tipped bunt attempt by Anderson and got Quentin off on 3rd. Then at the top of the 11th, Hernandez hit a homer off of Linebrink, Sherrill came in Bottom of 11th and Uribe hit a homer. So they are through 11 innings, 3-3 tie.

Correct, I had the 10th and 11th innings mixed up.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 05:19 PM)
what are the chances of Lexi winning rookie of the year - or is the league too in love with Longoria to consider anyone else?

Longoria- G-103 AB-378 R-56 H-105 2B-27 3B-2 HR-22 RBI-71 TB-202 BB-43 SO-100 SB-7 CS-0 OBP-.350 SLG-.534 AVG-.278 OPS-.885

Ramirez- G-87 AB-299 R-41 H-93 2B-18 3B-1 HR-10 RBI-42 TB-143 BB-9 SO-41 SB-8 CS-5 OBP-.330 SLG-.478 AVG-.311 OPS-.808

Both teams in first place (Rays more of a special story) Longoria has more games/ab's etc.. in his book plus the hype. Honestly, I'd be more surprised if Longoria doesn't win it than Lexi winning it.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 03:39 PM)
Longoria- G-103 AB-378 R-56 H-105 2B-27 3B-2 HR-22 RBI-71 TB-202 BB-43 SO-100 SB-7 CS-0 OBP-.350 SLG-.534 AVG-.278 OPS-.885

Ramirez- G-87 AB-299 R-41 H-93 2B-18 3B-1 HR-10 RBI-42 TB-143 BB-9 SO-41 SB-8 CS-5 OBP-.330 SLG-.478 AVG-.311 OPS-.808

Both teams in first place (Rays more of a special story) Longoria has more games/ab's etc.. in his book plus the hype. Honestly, I'd be more surprised if Longoria doesn't win it than Lexi winning it.

What's almost scary is that if you lop off Alexei's first month, take out everything before May 18, he might actually have a shot. Once he bottomed out...he's hitting .337 with an .874 OPS. If it hadn't been for that first month, right now he'd be winning the AL Batting average crown. He doesn't have the at bats to qualify yet (getting there) but he even still has a shot at it, Bradley is leading at .320. That's the sort of thing that could get him a lot of attention for the award.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)

Thanks for that.

I'm surprised there's not more buzz for Lexi, more discussion about what a boost he's been. It's chilling to think where this team would be w/o him and Q.

So today at my side job, at a sports store, I bet a customer that the Sox would finish with a better record then Texas. If the Sox do, he owes me 2 authentic jerseys (official game jerseys for whatever team, whatever color, and whatever player). If the Rangers do, I owe him the same. And, don't say we're betting nothing because these jerseys START OUT AT $200 each.

I figure he has no chance, with the Sox being 13 over and Texas being 4 over.

Thoughts?

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 10:59 PM)
So today at my side job, at a sports store, I bet a customer that the Sox would finish with a better record then Texas. If the Sox do, he owes me 2 authentic jerseys (official game jerseys for whatever team, whatever color, and whatever player). If the Rangers do, I owe him the same. And, don't say we're betting nothing because these jerseys START OUT AT $200 each.

I figure he has no chance, with the Sox being 13 over and Texas being 4 over.

Thoughts?

That Rangers fan must have gotten his brain fried from all the 100 degree heat down here. :lol:

Oh wait a minute, that's the Rangers frying out there, like they do EVERY YEAR about this time. :D

I'd say you're gonna rake, even if the Sox do fade, they aren't going to fade that bad.