Changes coming by Tuesday?

Big Hurtin

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)
Couldn't have said it better. Nicely stated.

Maybe there will be a surprise transaction but I think this is a motivational ploy. These guys are too comfortable and something needs to get done. Konerko's AB in the 9th wasn't good, if Ozuna wasn't doing some heads up baserunning he wouldn't have even made 3rd. Crede didn't get it done and Swisher is dazed and confused at the moment.

I really believe the wake up call will Walker getting fired. I haven't heard anything indicating Walker isn't a solid hitting coach, but clearly he's not getting through to his fullest extent and at some point you have to be judged by your record (and this offense has been pretty poor 3 out of the past 4 years (this includes the World Series year, where the offense was decent, but far from what I'd call good). Plus, I think Walker getting ousted should continue to wake guys up.

In addition, I continue to believe the Sox may make an adjustment to the bench/roster (not via trade, rather AAA). I don't know if they'd send Wass down and get Getz up, plus make a move with one of there struggling bats (calling up Fields and making sure he rotates in).

Interesting quotes from Kenny though as it sounds like this was Ozzie doing one thing and Kenny being out of the loop (I completely undersatnd Ozzie's frustration and a lot of this might be motivational to an extent, but at the same time, him and Kenny need to talk and get on the same page and quickly). Wholesale changes have to happen to this offense, but I think everyone has been well aware of that for some time on here (specifically finding a legitimate leadoff hitter, getting CF covered, and finding a way to replace struggling vets with solid vets or young players (because regardless of what Thome/Konerko/Swisher have done, none of it matters when you aren't producing and I'll put up with growing pains if it gets the Sox some players who will be trending "upwards" and not spiraling "downwards" (note that Swisher doesn't necessarily fit into the over the hill part, but he's clearly struggling).

Since there have been some trade proposals here, how about- Buehrle, Swisher, and Crede to the Pirates for Jason Bay and Jose Bautista.

This way, PIT wouldn't have to draft Pedro Alvarez, and instead go get another piece to their puzzle.

I know Bay may be hard to pry off their hands, but he's always in trade rumors and his BA is always hovering around .290. He'd hit 30 HR in our park. Bautista hits around .260 but maybe then we can put him in AAA and bring up Fields.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 04:29 PM)
It is very good they have a day off tomorrow. I was waiting for the Guillen explosion, sure enough it happened.

At the moment, the only possible move I see is Konerko to the DL. I am not sure the trade market is open at this point.

I'm thinking Ozzie may talk with Kenny and the one opening I do see is the Sox moving Crede to open up a spot for Fields. This doesn't necessarily mean Fields is better than Crede, I really don't think he is (and I have a lot of concerns with Fields) but moving Crede should be able to either get you prospets (which you can use to acquire another major leaguer to fill another spot) or get you a valuable major league part (in a ML for ML type of deal).

I also could see Paulie getting DL'd, but it comes down to whether the Sox think he's done right now (due to the injury) or if he's working his way out of it (if he is, than having his bat back would be a HUGE HUGE addition to the lineup). Clearly you can't really trade Thome/Konerko (Despite how much I would be willing to do so) because the market probably isn't there for them (or at least not to the extent that you'd get value, but maybe Kenny has to bite the bullet on one of those guys for the sake of making changes).

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 04:52 PM)
Of course he is boxed in. If he could have pulled a deal today, he would have. He just better hope the team stays in 1st or at the very least afloat until a trade opportunity opens up. The guys who are struggling may turn it around somewhat but this offense as constructed will be prone to long dry spells.

In the meantime the only weapon Guillen has is benching guys or firing Walker. Therefore it is likely he will bench 1-2 guys. Tuesday I see Crede on the bench for Ozuna and Konerko on the bench although Swisher is just as bad.

The only name that's out there for the taking is Lofton but obviously been there, done that.

I think that is where the Sox need to find a way to surrender some power and find a few guys that are good "pure" hitters (heck, even Randy Wynn types work). I really believe pure hitters tend to slump the list of anyone (since they use all fields and just have very good fluid hitting mechanics). Again, easier said than done, but I'd gladly take a couple guys who could hit .300 with 10-15 HR's and give up 2 of our guys that will hit .250 with mediocre OBP's and solid slugging %'s (just because I think a couple of those type of players will really help make this a balanced offense). Plus, if we need another guy that will hit .250, post good slugging numbers, we can always call up Fields.

This might have been said, but what can Kenny really do? The biggest problems in the lineup are Thome, Konerko, and Swisher and you cant send any of those guys to the minors or just cut them. Ozzie just needs to tweak the lineup and maybe bench a couple of those games for a couple days. Let BA play a couple days in a row or something like that.

I still think the best idea is to fire Walker but its been proven that they wont do that, so time for plan B.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
I'm guessing a couple things, the least likely being a trade. I'm thinking Greg Walker will be fired and Josh Fields will be called up (and we'll see him get significant playing time at 1st base/DH (with Paulie/Thome/Swisher all getting some time off). We are also going to see more of Brian Anderson, me thinks.

Is Fields even healthy now?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 09:11 PM)
I would love to bring Fields up, and rotate him, Konerko and Thome. If he outplays them, then he stays in.

Trade Cabrera, Buehrle, Swisher, Uribe, and Crede to PIT for Sanchez and Bay.

Trade Thome to BAL/KC for a minor leaguer or two.

Ramirez 2B

Sanchez SS

Quentin LF

Bay DH

Dye RF

Pierzynski C

Fields 3B

Konerko 1B

Anderson CF

Vazquez

Contreras

Danks

Floyd

Broadway

In the offseason, go after Sabathia to be the ace, or maybe even Teixeria for 1B. If we get Tex, trade Konerko to a team for a bag of bats.

Just a thought.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 09:15 PM)
Trade Cabrera, Buehrle, Swisher, Uribe, and Crede to PIT for Sanchez and Bay.

Trade Thome to BAL/KC for a minor leaguer or two.

Ramirez 2B

Sanchez SS

Quentin LF

Bay DH

Dye RF

Pierzynski C

Fields 3B

Konerko 1B

Anderson CF

Vazquez

Contreras

Danks

Floyd

Broadway

In the offseason, go after Sabathia to be the ace, or maybe even Teixeria for 1B. If we get Tex, trade Konerko to a team for a bag of bats.

Just a thought.

That first trade is TERRIBLE for us. Bay is the only good one, and he is offset by Swisher. I assume you are joking anyway though.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
That first trade is TERRIBLE for us. Bay is the only good one, and he is offset by Swisher. I assume you are joking anyway though.

Let's see- Cabrera won't even be on the team next year unless you want to pony up 8-10 million a year, and so if we're not going to win, we may as well trade him. Crede will never be what he was a few years back, and we have a 3B in Charlotte right now who can take his place nicely, minus the fielding part. Swisher is just bad, look what getting off steroids does to you, and Buehrle, like Joe, may never be what he was a few years back. I just threw in Uribe because he is terrible and has no place on this team with Sanchez and Ramirez.

Bay is a great hitter, not a good hitter, but a great hitter. He's loved in Pittsburgh and would be loved here. Sanchez is probably what, a .270 career hitter? Give or take .010? That definitley beats Uribe, and while it doesn't beat Cabrera, he won't even be with this team next season, while Sanchez will.

However, I was joking, but I could actually make a case for it.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
I understand what you're saying ... but the two (Guillen and Williams) are not on the same page at the moment. Guillen wants changes, Williams is preaching patience. Williams apparently does not feel changes are necessary and/or he knows there's nothing available.

I'm guessing Ozzie is in the right. As someone who wanted this team broken up after last season, I'm not that surprised by all this. This station to station baseball with lots of power hitters is not the best formula for success. A well balanced line up is.

Bob

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
I really believe the wake up call will Walker getting fired. I haven't heard anything indicating Walker isn't a solid hitting coach, but clearly he's not getting through to his fullest extent and at some point you have to be judged by your record (and this offense has been pretty poor 3 out of the past 4 years (this includes the World Series year, where the offense was decent, but far from what I'd call good). Plus, I think Walker getting ousted should continue to wake guys up.

In addition, I continue to believe the Sox may make an adjustment to the bench/roster (not via trade, rather AAA). I don't know if they'd send Wass down and get Getz up, plus make a move with one of there struggling bats (calling up Fields and making sure he rotates in).

Interesting quotes from Kenny though as it sounds like this was Ozzie doing one thing and Kenny being out of the loop (I completely undersatnd Ozzie's frustration and a lot of this might be motivational to an extent, but at the same time, him and Kenny need to talk and get on the same page and quickly). Wholesale changes have to happen to this offense, but I think everyone has been well aware of that for some time on here (specifically finding a legitimate leadoff hitter, getting CF covered, and finding a way to replace struggling vets with solid vets or young players (because regardless of what Thome/Konerko/Swisher have done, none of it matters when you aren't producing and I'll put up with growing pains if it gets the Sox some players who will be trending "upwards" and not spiraling "downwards" (note that Swisher doesn't necessarily fit into the over the hill part, but he's clearly struggling).

It's a shame that Walker is the fall guy when it's basically 3 veterans who are bad right now.

Even though KW is obviously pissed — if he wasn't he wouldn't have referred to himself

as Ozzie's "boss," I think it's good Oz got mad.

I mean our offense is so bad it's laughable.

I hope Oz hasn't dug himself a hole with this one, however.

It's more of Oz being Oz, but if KW is mad this time, it's not one to completely laugh off.

I think Oz may have to fire Walker to get out of this one.

You know, it might not be a bad idea.

Somebody has to be the "fall guy" for this offense. Just re-assign the guy. Walker is probably

the best man in the world. It's sounds like he's a special person.

But somebody has to take the fall for this offense.

Look at the Royals ... they have woken up since Billy Butler became the fall guy.

Unless we put Paulie on the DL or send down Swisher or trade Thome ... it's Walker who

must go.

Or we just laugh this one off again as Oz being Oz after he makes all the proper apologies

about KW tomorrow when the writers have to cover the fallout from this on their off day.

QUOTE (quickman @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
Well if you think you can win the division without him then trade him, i still say he is a leader for the team and will turn things around as the year goes on. We have an opportunity to stay in this thing longer because the Tigers and Indians are playing worse than we are right now. Trading away your best pitcher in the last several years is a good idea only if you think Broadway has the NADS to help us get in the playoffs now which i personally do not think he has.

agreed word for word with this post

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
Go with this lineup: OC, Thome, CQ, AJ, Dye, Swisher, Konerko, Crede, Ramirez

I think Crede or Konerko would be the most likely to be delt(other than the worst player in baseball, Uribe). Line up changes create trivial differences, same can be said about a hitting coach. Their minor league system is awful(even Fields is struggling) so theres no call ups or trades that I see happening.

I'll bet that was fun plane ride home. In reality they can't/won't blow up a roster that is in 1st place no matter how bleak things are at the moment. Firing Walker is obviously the likely move. The quote that bothers me most in this whole thing is by Konerko.It seems like he's saying as long as we try,we should be left alone. It's not only about effort,it's about results.Hell, put me in the lineup and i'll try as hard as i can.That doesn't mean i can get it done. Swisher's an absolute mess,Konerko's hurt,and you can just see guys pressing when there are guys in scoring position. Caling up Fields and DL'ing Konerko may be the thing to do. Maybe Fields can inject some life into the lineup the way Jay Bruce has for Cincy. Another move i would strongly consider is just getting rid of Cabrera. I think his negative persona has had a very bad impact on this team. Cut your losses and move on. Every GM has made a mistake,or two, in the past. I would like just as much as playing Uribe at SS as i would OC. At least Uribe seems to be well liked and has a fun, postive attitude that the team needs. You could even play Ramirez at SS and trade for an energy guy, like Freel, and use Uribe as a platoon guy. Cincy needs a SS. I would do OC for Freel straight up. You could have a lineup of:

Freel-2B

Ramirez-SS

Quentin-LF

Dye-RF

Thome-DH

Fields(Konerko to DL)-1b

AJ-C

Crede-3B

Swisher-CF

Once Swisher starts hitting, and he will, you can move him up to the 2 hole if needed. You could also get rid of Ozuna and call Owens up. With Freel and Uribe, you would have enough vesatility that Ozuna is useless and Owens can spot start and steal a base when needed.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 05:49 AM)
I'll bet that was fun plane ride home. In reality they can't/won't blow up a roster that is in 1st place no matter how bleak things are at the moment. Firing Walker is obviously the likely move. The quote that bothers me most in this whole thing is by Konerko.It seems like he's saying as long as we try,we should be left alone. It's not only about effort,it's about results.Hell, put me in the lineup and i'll try as hard as i can.That doesn't mean i can get it done. Swisher's an absolute mess,Konerko's hurt,and you can just see guys pressing when there are guys in scoring position. Caling up Fields and DL'ing Konerko may be the thing to do. Maybe Fields can inject some life into the lineup the way Jay Bruce has for Cincy. Another move i would strongly consider is just getting rid of Cabrera. I think his negative persona has had a very bad impact on this team. Cut your losses and move on. Every GM has made a mistake,or two, in the past. I would like just as much as playing Uribe at SS as i would OC. At least Uribe seems to be well liked and has a fun, postive attitude that the team needs. You could even play Ramirez at SS and trade for an energy guy, like Freel, and use Uribe as a platoon guy. Cincy needs a SS. I would do OC for Freel straight up. You could have a lineup of:

Freel-2B

Ramirez-SS

Quentin-LF

Dye-RF

Thome-DH

Fields(Konerko to DL)-1b

AJ-C

Crede-3B

Swisher-CF

Once Swisher starts hitting, and he will, you can move him up to the 2 hole if needed. You could also get rid of Ozuna and call Owens up. With Freel and Uribe, you would have enough vesatility that Ozuna is useless and Owens can spot start and steal a base when needed.

Ozzie, did not travel with the team, he caught a flight to Miami to spend a day with the familia.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 08:10 AM)
Fields is hitting .246 in AAA with a ton of strikeouts. He also hasn't played in at least 4 days. How exactly is inserting him into the line-up going to make things better?

it gets some new blood into the mix. I wouldn't put too much stock in his AAA numbers. He showed he has the ability to hit MLB pitching. Plus, wouldn't it be nice for Konerkoe to be hitting .246? Let ma ask this, has Konerko had a timely/big hit the entire year? I'm sure he's had to have at least one but i can't remember him coming through at all. I know he hasn't in the last month or so. Most of his few hits have come in non-meaningful situatons.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 05:55 AM)
It wasnt like the Rays were tearing the cover off the ball. We lost to one of the best home teams in the league in extras, a walk off, and a 2-0 pitching duel. Its not like we just got blown out of Tampa.

Yes Rock I get what your saying, but I do think our big money hitters have sucked all year not just this series. We could have won all three games just as easily as they could but our big time guys absolutley sucked. I think Ozzie like the fans are sick of the lack of execution. Its been going on for quite some time.

Fields is hitting .246 in AAA with a ton of strikeouts. He also hasn't played in at least 4 days. How exactly is inserting him into the line-up going to make things better?

Agree and I have been saying the same thing. Nothing against Josh but let's face it, he's not doing well either. Also we do not know what the problem is the last four days. Clearly he's not healthy at the moment or there are other issues keeping him out of the lineup.

After a night's sleep on this, the silver lining is the pitching. It's been good, very good actually. They are in this thing, right now Cleveland is a mess and people are calling for Wedge to get fired. Not a good atmosphere there, and Detroit has problems too. Minnesota is playing well but that's to be expected, they have less ups and downs.

There are no impact bats in the minors at the moment and I took Williams' comments to mean there are no trades available either. So it's Walker or lineup changes. Since Ozzie has said time and time again Walker won't get fired, either he goes back on his word or the lineup gets changed.

Basically it's firing Walker or moot to me.

Just look at the #'s. We play in one of the best offensive ballparks in baseball, and yet we've been a subpar offensive team for around the last 2 years.

Something has to give.

I would also move Swisher to the #3 spot possibly to try and get him going. Or at least somewhere higher up in the order. But then you don't really want to move CQ from there do you.

Thome and Konerko struggling are the 2 real problems though. Paulie should go on the DL if he's not completely 100% with that hand, and give someone like BA etc. some more chances in the lineup for a while, just a different mix.

Thome has just had an all round terrible May, hitting bout .180. There really has to be major questions about whether his bat speed is just slowing right down now unfortunately, until he proves otherwise.