Konerko to "get some rest for awhile"

Steve9347

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)
This is what Jerry Manuel had to do to him too. Its a shame, but he just isnt "right" mentally right now

i find it funny that everyone believes "The Sox need Konerko healthy and performing to be competitive this year"

we've done fine for 2/3 of the season without him, I don't see anything changing

putting Swish at 1st and BA in CF, this helps our defense out tremendously and limits the odds of us beating ourselves

also, off-topic, Ozzie needs to be more proactive with this pitching staff, if you see the sox with a commanding lead like yesterday and all of the sudden the wheels start coming off , pull him out and let the guys in the pen handle the rest of the game

edit: listening to the score, these guys are so unbelievably pro-Cubbies anti-Sox (Especially Bernstein and Holmes, to the point of being hilarious), it's hard to listen. The twins are flawed in as many areas as the Sox are, they're very similar to the Texas Rangers on the road, something about the Metrodome changes the complexion of that team, just as it changes the Sox complexion when they play at home. the Score guys give up so easily when the Sox start playing poorly, it's laughable. the way they approach the subject, is as if the Sox are 8 games out and it's unrealistic to expect the Sox to compete for the Division or WC

i seriously cannot take 90% of that station seriously anymore. were they this bad in 2005 when the Sox were losing their lead in the second half? i didn't start listening to the score until 2007

Edited by joesaiditstrue

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)
i find it funny that everyone believes "The Sox need Konerko healthy and performing to be competitive this year"

we've done fine for 2/3 of the season without him, I don't see anything changing

putting Swish at 1st and BA in CF, this helps our defense out tremendously and limits the odds of us beating ourselves

also, off-topic, Ozzie needs to be more proactive with this pitching staff, if you see the sox with a commanding lead like yesterday and all of the sudden the wheels start coming off , pull him out and let the guys in the pen handle the rest of the game

The pen isn't exactly stellar right now, either. Every day is something different.

Unless this is a new quote, I don't think Konerko is getting benched right now. He looked good his last couple of ABs yesterday and has hit Hernandez well this year. Ozzie did say yesterday if he sits it will be for a while. I was under the impression that he didn't think the time had come yet.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
Unless this is a new quote, I don't think Konerko is getting benched right now. He looked good his last couple of ABs yesterday and has hit Hernandez well this year. Ozzie did say yesterday if he sits it will be for a while. I was under the impression that he didn't think the time had come yet.

It's a new quote.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)
While and improvement, it isn't like we're trotting an All-Star replacement out there. If that was the case, the decision would have been easier.

'Tis the truth but with the way the pitching has been lately, it certainly wont hurt to have your best defense out there and Anderson might just be the best defensive cf in the AL.

off-topic slightly (i do this a lot, sorry)

anyone notice how hard mauer hits the ball? watching that guy hit, his swing generates a lot of power, on linedrives, grounders, pretty much everything he hits, it looks very hard to field his balls in play beyond popouts

pretty much all of their hitters take hard swings on pitches in the zone, except they keep the ball on a line rather than uppercutting it for a homerun, this allows balls to reach the gaps before OF's can get to the ball. perhaps that's a small part of playing in the dome where there's no wind helping/hurting the speed of the ball off your bat, as well as the fact that the ground is pretty much flat allowing the ball to roll a lot more quickly than if it were on grass

just an observation i've noticed watching the twins this year, they seem to swing their bats in a certain way. i heard Bill Melton mention that they purposely cut down when they hit balls low in the zone to keep it on the ground, using the fields speed to their advantage

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
Anderson might just be the best defensive cf in the AL.

Whoah. Put down the kool-aid. How many times do we need to see him try to gun down someone at the plate, that's obviously going to score, and let people make it to 2nd easily?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
'Tis the truth but with the way the pitching has been lately, it certainly wont hurt to have your best defense out there and Anderson might just be the best defensive cf in the AL.

Looking over the season and looking forward, this could be the September slump, only sooner. A couple banged up players needing rest or rehab, summer doldrums, a division rival getting hot. It's easy to believe the Twins cool back down and we get a surge and bump from a couple veterans returning and life is good in Soxdom once again. I don't think that is pie in the sky or blind optimism. Just the realities of watching many baseball seasons unfold.

I want to point out that its never a good thing when you have to bench a guy making 12M a year for the next few years. It prevents you from moving him and obviously since your benching him you are clearly getting on production.

The deal which was once a bargain is quickly turning into a complete albatross. I love Paulie for all that he's done in a Sox uniform, but I honestly could care less what the Sox could get for him as long as they could find a creative way to unload that contract and free up first base.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
Swisher isn't that big of an improvement over Konerko offensively. Are we talking .219 vs. .239? What is that like 5 hits more on the season? Both should be benched. I guess Konerko is a start.

Swisher's OPS is not up to par for a 1B, but it significantly higher than Konerko's.

Hell, Brian Anderson's OPS is higher than Konerko's.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

This should not be looked at as just one position player taking the place of another. Swisher brings better defense to first base and andersen and wise better defense to center field. additionally, swisher can draw walks and provides the value of a switch hitter. Finally, with anderson and wise we become a faster, better baserunning team. Right now its the best move barring a trade. They should hire a therapist for konerko, and he needs to go back to his previous batting stance. if none of those thigns work, then he is done for this year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
I want to point out that its never a good thing when you have to bench a guy making 12M a year for the next few years. It prevents you from moving him and obviously since your benching him you are clearly getting on production.

The deal which was once a bargain is quickly turning into a complete albatross. I love Paulie for all that he's done in a Sox uniform, but I honestly could care less what the Sox could get for him as long as they could find a creative way to unload that contract and free up first base.

I think it is still a little early to believe Konerko's career is almost over, or that he will drop off that steeply. I believe some rest will work wonders.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
Nobody commenting on the fact that Konerko hit the ball pretty hard last night in a couple of at-bats, eh?

or the fact that swisher went yard off the best closer in baseball (yes, I think Nathan is more talented than K-Fraud, by a mile)

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 05:19 PM)
Nobody commenting on the fact that Konerko hit the ball pretty hard last night in a couple of at-bats, eh?

I said last night that PK should get another start to see if he can build on his two good at-bats to end the game. Things are getting scary with how depleted our lineup/rotation/bullpen appear.