Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
Dude I'm 26 and I've been like that for a few years now. Heh. I can recall a conversation verbatim from high school but I can't remember why I went to the grocery store.

Just wait. It gets worse. :lolhitting

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home from work... In my mind, we didn't give up much at all. Don't like Richar much and Masset can easily be replaced. Don't see how this deal is bad for the Sox, unless you don't like the fact that Paulie will be getting benched.

I must say that (I know his stats aren't the greatest, but...) just having Griffey on the Sox is something I would have never thought I'd see. It is pretty cool having one of the greatest of all time on the team, even if he's not what he used to be.

i say we sign bonds too, what the hell. As it stands now, our lineup will have 1800+ career Homeruns.....that has to be an mlb record.

thome-526

griff- 608

bonds- 762

dye- 288

crede- 125

ocab - 103

swish - 95

2507 career homeruns for the lineup.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
i say we sign bonds too, what the hell. As it stands now, our lineup will have 1800+ career Homeruns.....that has to be an mlb record.

thome-526

griff- 608

bonds- 762

dye- 288

crede- 125

ocab - 103

swish - 95

2507 career homeruns for the lineup.

You forgot one important piece...Mike Schmidt. We are struggling at third base and Schmidtty would fill that void.

And what are the rules on signing dead guys?

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
Don't see how this deal is bad for the Sox, unless you don't like the fact that Paulie will be getting benched.

If you just look at the deal itself it's not horrible because we didn't give up a ton. That being said, if Griffey is starting in cf then we're hurting our team defense a great deal imo, not to mention if he's out there, the odds of him getting hurt again are probably pretty high.

Hopefully we catch lightning in a bottle, but I don't think this deal makes us a better team at all.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
I must say that (I know his stats aren't the greatest, but...) just having Griffey on the Sox is something I would have never thought I'd see.

I bet my dad 50 bucks about 4 years ago that some day Griffey would be in a Sox uni. He's not answering his phone right now! :lol:

I liked Richar a whole lot, as he showed last season that he could be a good 2B for a team with a bit of power and some OBP. His attitude may be the only thing that holds him back.

Either way, KGJ in CF is a disaster and wont last more than a week, 2 when he gets injured. Basically you now have a rotation of corner OF'ers and DH types that doesnt really help the team a whole bunch other than getting Paulie's bat out of the lineup. Now if Dye or KGJ can play a good 1b, then we have something.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
I bet my dad 50 bucks about 4 years ago that some day Griffey would be in a Sox uni. He's not answering his phone right now! :lol:

Collect the $50 from him, then take him out to dinner using the money. Will be the best $50 you ever spent.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
Collect the $50 from him, then take him out to dinner using the money. Will be the best $50 you ever spent.

Well, you could do that or get some cheap strippers for you and him.

He'd probably be happy either way.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
So are you saying that morale has no impact on performance in the workplace?

I'll say that morale has nothing to do with the ability to hit a baseball, throw a baseball and catch a baseball.

Although that's a general principle, and not related to Griffey. I like this deal. We didn't give up anything.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
I'll say that morale has nothing to do with the ability to hit a baseball, throw a baseball and catch a baseball.

Although that's a general principle, and not related to Griffey. I like this deal. We didn't give up anything.

Wow, we totally agree.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)

Because we didn't give up 'anything' makes it a good deal?

Did this really happen? Wow. Im happy, worried and confused on how this is going to work? Dye and Quentin better not get days off the way there hitting and Griffey in CF scares me. He'll be a hell of a DH and maybe he will be next year, but Griffey a pinch hitter? Is there anyway he plays 1b? Constant days off for Pauly, Swish? Is there another deal in the works?

As of now im guessing we'll see this:

Cabrera SS

Pierzynski C

Quentin LF

Dye RF

Thome DH

Swisher/Konerko 1b

Griffey/ Swisher CF

Crede/Fields 3b

Ramirez 2b

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)

Getting something for nothing isnt necassarily bad.

And Griffey offers a little more than just something IMO

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)

Why wouldn't it be? You put a future HOF in your lineup with some pop for pieces that weren't going to be here anyway? I don't know why everyone's crying about this. It gives us more options then we had at a very minimal price.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
Getting something for nothing isnt necassarily bad.

And Griffey offers a little more than just something IMO

The addition of Griffey means that Ozzie will feel obligated to start him in center field, where I think I have more range than he does at this point. This would be a fine deal if it meant moving Griffey or Dye to 1B and putting whichever one that doesn't move in RF, but that's not going to happen.