Piniella comments on Sox attendance

caulfield12

Is Piniella happy to see the City Series end?

"You know what, I've had fun here the last few days," Piniella said facetiously.

One of his most memorable Cubs-Sox series?

"Yeah," he replied. "You know what? We went to Detroit, in Michigan, and we lost three ballgames. But you know what? There were 42,000 people at the ballpark everyday, and it was great for the economy. It was great for the restaurants, It was great for the people who worked at the ballpark. It was great for the people who sold products there. We lost baseball games, but it was good for the economy in general. And here- look what the City Series does over here.

"I saw where the Dodgers came in the other night, a good baseball team, and 22,000 people were here. The Cubs are in town for the City Series and there's 40,000 some people here. Look, let's look at it from a different standpoint than just the baseball standpoint."

So the Sox need the Cubs to help them draw fans? White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was asked why attendance was so low at the Sox-Dodgers series, and said: "Because our fans are not stupid like Cubs fans. They know we're (expletive)."

Guillen said Cubs fans will go watch any game at Wrigley Field because "Wrigley Field is just a bar." www.chicagotribune.com/sports

Maybe Piniella has a career with Jim Cramer or Ben Bernake after he finally loses it completely?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)
Piniella truly is a Cubbie now. When your team sucks, you make fun of the attendance of the White Sox.

I got the impression that he just doesn't care anymore about managing.

Also, that was a great quote by Ozzie.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 07:26 PM)
I got the impression that he just doesn't care anymore about managing.

Also, that was a great quote by Ozzie.

If he wasn't dissing or trying to diss the sox why was it important for him to mention how low the L.A sox attendance was 22,000. When a Cub fans wants to diss the Sox they just mentions attendance.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 07:35 PM)
If he wasn't dissing or trying to diss the sox why was it important for him to mention how low the L.A sox attendance was 22,000. When a Cub fans wants to diss the Sox they just mentions attendance.

and we fall for it hook line and sinker every time

QUOTE (Jim Spencer @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 08:56 PM)
"Because our fans are not stupid like Cubs fans. They know we're (expletive)."

Ozzie Rocks :headbang

I don't care if Lou is dissing the Sox. Every Cub fan I know plays the attendance card when dissing the Sox.

It's nice that Cubs fans think their popularity makes them important, but if popularity was a measure of quality, doctors would recommend us to snort coke and eat cheeseburgers instead of exercising and eating right.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)
The Dodgers series was one hell of a series against the best team in baseball.

The last two series give me hope that this team *may* be turning a corner. [crosses fingers]

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, GOOD-BYE!!!

Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, GOOD-BYE!!!

Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, GOOOOOOOOOOD-BYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYE!!!

Much better than the Go Cubs Go song :wacko:

So the Sox need the Cubs to help them draw fans? White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was asked why attendance was so low at the Sox-Dodgers series, and said: "Because our fans are not stupid like Cubs fans. They know we're (expletive)."

Did anybody "hear" Oz's quote? Was he mad or laughing.

I think it's funny. But basically he did say his team is s***. That's kind of funny or like somebody else said the marketing dept's nightmare.

That's hilarious Oz also mentioned Wrigley being a big bar.

Somebody should point out in the media articles what people on Soxtalk were saying about not going to the Dodger game because of the extra surcharge on tickets or whatever you guys were talking bout.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 11:19 PM)
Am I the only one that thinks it is pretty pathetic how fickle our attendance is? It's bothered me for years.

If you want consistent attendance, either be really good like the Yankees and Red Sox, or sell something other than the game like the Cubs. Otherwise, your attendance is going to be fickle.

As for Lou and the whole Cubs act this weekend, f*** them. They are losers, have been losers for over a century, and will continue to be losers. And people who root for them are idiots for putting up with it. Period.