AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)
I am being texted by a friend in Chicago that the Score is reporting the Sox are in "serious talks" with the Padres about a Beckham for AGon swap. You guys hearing this?

Whaaaaa?

Alright, let's play it out then, just for kicks. If you trade Beckham, who joins the infield? How does the rest of it fall out?

By the way, my first reaction is... B.S.

My second reaction is... I wouldn't want to make that trade.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
Danny Mac is even saying that the Sox are high off their ass to trade a guy like Gordon Beckham. I would certainly agree and don't see any value in trading Beckham for this guy from San Diego. Do we really need an upgrade?

I must not be hearing him the same way. Sounds like he'd rather have Gonzalez because he's done it for four years.

I still say this is a non-story and the Sox have no intention of trading Beckham, and the Padres have no intention of trading Gonzalez until at least June. By that time, Beckham will have shut up all of the people wanting the trade now.

I've never heard Kenny say anything about being willing to trade Beckham. I saw the original article that spawned all this, and there is no quote from him about it. All it says is that Kenny would be willing to trade for Gonzalez at all costs and the writer says something to the effect of "that could possibly include Gordon Beckham?", question mark included.

It's B.S., I heard the Score talking about it, they just want a storyline. There's no credible source saying KW will include the best player we've had since Frank for a 2-year rental.

EDIT: Besides, what kind of ridiculous negotiation tactic would that be? "Here is a blank check for your 2-year rental, fill it in with whatever players you want, starting with the best." There's no way KW mentions Beckham as a possibility until they're well into the talks, if ever.

Edited by ScottyDo

One thing I do know, we can stop saying this is a non story. Its not a non story. What has Kenny ever done to hint that he wouldnt be in talks with the Pads? He is in talks every time there is a marque player out there on the block, he gets in the middle of it somehow.

I am being texted by a friend in Chicago that the Score is reporting the Sox are in "serious talks" with the Padres about a Beckham for AGon swap. You guys hearing this?

Just listened to a "Scoreboard Update" on the Score... no mention of a trade at all.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
One thing I do know, we can stop saying this is a non story. Its not a non story. What has Kenny ever done to hint that he wouldnt be in talks with the Pads? He is in talks every time there is a marque player out there on the block, he gets in the middle of it somehow.

well now we know its a non non story

Keep in mind that the Score is just as much in the business of making news as it is reporting it.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
Keep in mind that the Score is just as much in the business of making news as it is reporting it.

Oh sure, I was just asking if this was being reported. I am not in town anymore and am at work so I can't listen to the webcast.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)

There's a difference between what the hosts talk about and what they report at the top and bottom of each hour. Someone may hear Dan McNeil talk about a trade rumor, and will take that as him "reporting" that the Sox and Padres are in talks, when that's not accurate at all.

IMO, if we don't work out an extension with Beckham and go year-to-year:

2010: will make something like $400-450K, will produce like an $8M 2B

2011: will make about $750K, will produce like an $10M 2B

2012: will make about $1M, will produce like a $12M 2B

2013: will make about $5M, will produce like a $14M 2B

2014: will make about $8M, will produce like a $15M 2B

2015: will make about $11M, will produce like a $15M 2B

My guess is we pay him something like $26.2M and get about $74M worth of production, so about a $48M underpayment. Gonzalez is probably worth $22M or so the next two years and is paid $10.25M IIRC, so that's a $34M underpayment or thereabouts. Gonzalez however just brings positional security for 2 years where as Beckham gives us that for 6. This trade wouldn't make any sense.

However, I'd send the whole goddamn farm for Adrian right now without blinking an eye.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
The Sox aren't going to pay Gordon Beckham $1.75M over his final 2 pre-arb seasons, he'll be lucky to get $1.1M. The only way he gets any more than that is if he signs a long term deal.

Which the White Sox better make sure happens.

So according to Heyman Adrian Gonzalez is seeking Mark Teixeira money from the Padres (8/$180) and San Diego is offering Torii Hunter money (5/$90M), I do believe this is the definition of an impasse. This should seal his being traded sometime in the not too distant future.