Who are you pulling for as the DH?

caulfield12

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
Is Cleveland ready to give up on Travis Hafner yet? What is his salary like?

Nasty.

# 4 years/$57M (2009-12), plus 2013 club option

* signed extension with Cleveland 7/11/07, re-working previous deal by adding $2.25M to 2007 & $3M to 2008 salary

* 07:$6.3M, 08:$8.05M, 09:$11.5M, 10:$11.5M, 11:$13M, 12:$13M, 13:$13M club option ($2.75M buyout)

* limited no-trade clause allowing Hafner to block trades to certain unspecified clubs

For a DH who hasn't put up a .850 OPS since 2006...Thome's put up better numbers and we spend 1/2 as much on him each year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
Nasty.

For a DH who hasn't put up a .850 OPS since 2006...Thome's put up better numbers and we spend 1/2 as much on him each year.

Wow... Oooookay so Hafner is definitely not an option. I remember that guy used to mash though.

Adam Dunn would look nice in a Sox uniform... well he wouldn't during the 200 times year that he walks back to the dugout after striking out. But I'll take that as long as he's hitting 40 plus bombs from the left side.

I think we can all pretty much agree that Dunn's out of the question unless we do something with Konerko/Linebrink/Jenks.

Choo's one of the the best players on the Indians (after Sizemore), very good all-around athlete, young/affordable and they're not sold on Crowe yet 100%...and they've traded away Fr. Gutierrez and Ben Francisco in the last 12 months, they're not going to hand him over to us (especially a division rival) for any less than Hudson and Jordan Danks.

DeJesus MIGHT just be to the point where Dayton Moore's ready to trade him, and there's obviously a willingness to trade with the White Sox, but again you have to shed salary (don't think they're willing to take Konerko/Linebrink/Jenks in return!!!) and talent at the same time.

Does David DeJesus put our offense over the top? I don't think so...he's a complementary player IMO, a very good piece to have on a team, but I just don't think he's THAT good. For all of his speed, he's never put up great SB numbers, he's had quite a few injury problems and he's never been a power hitter.

Does changing the OF to Pierre/Rios/DeJesus with Quentin as DH make us a better team? Yeah, probably. However, that's an outfield with the potential to wind up with only 20-25-30 homers at USCF too, heading into 2010. Losing Thome and Dye, you have to get some power from another source besides Andruw Jones or Tyler Flowers. It can't all come from Beckham and Quentin.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
I'm hoping we trade for Kila Ka'ahuie, and move Paulie to DH. Seemed like KC had a crowd at 1B, maybe not as much anymore, but Kila has nowhere to go at the moment. Should be able to be had without giving up the farm. Similar to how we acquired TCQ. Gives Paulie more rest for the hip.

I really like this idea. At his worst i see Kila projecting out to be a Nick Johnson-esque player, but i could honestly see him hitting about 25 homers a season with great OBP skills.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
I really like this idea. At his worst i see Kila projecting out to be a Nick Johnson-esque player, but i could honestly see him hitting about 25 homers a season with great OBP skills.

I think Kila has a legitimate chance at making the team, or atleast he should. They've lost Shealy and Jacobs this offseason, so they're lacking 1B depth. Hopefully he gets a shot.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 05:03 PM)
I think Kila has a legitimate chance at making the team, or atleast he should. They've lost Shealy and Jacobs this offseason, so they're lacking 1B depth. Hopefully he gets a shot.

You may be right. So if my Kila trade concept doesn't fly, my backup, more realistic choice is... Thome.

If the White Sox truly had any interest in Matsui, they should take a gander at Johnny Damon. He'll only be slightly more expensive, is the same age, puts up similar numbers except Johnny can still run. I also like the concept of bringing in guys who have won and been a big part of the winning. Maybe they would let him grow his beard back.