Nothing Much Going On So Here's A Thought...

chetkincaid

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
How about Kenny signs Arnoldis Chapman for 5yrs/25mil, then sends both the Danks brothers and (if necessary), Flowers or Hudson to the Padres for Adrian Gonzalez?

Thoughts???

Hudson would be in the rotation ahead of Chapman.

QUOTE (striker @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
I'd be open to trading Danks if he doesn't extend, but I wouldn't include Hudson. I don't think the Padres would want Danks though. He will probably cost more over the next two years than Gonzalez.

Yeah, you would probably need to swap John out for prospects first, then send them to SD.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)
Not touching the pitching, a strong point, if we want something-sign them and add-not subtract from a pretty good roster

^^^^^

If you sign Chapman, he's going to the minors like Viciedo did.

The 2010 offseason would be when you decide which SP(s) to trade.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
Chapman's going to start the year in AA probably. How's the plan look now?

I think he'll be lucky to start in AA. He could very well start off in A-ball. He's just that raw.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)
I would give Chapman a solid chance at being the second lefty in our pen. But yeah, not a fan of the proposal in question.

Only because he can throw 98 MPH from the left side and because Randy Williams sucks.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
Why would be break up the strong 1-4 without a proper replacement?

To sign a young, much sought after all star gold glove lefty that could hit 40+ bombs and would be under the Sox control for the next couple of years... That's why I would probably do it. Okay maybe I wouldn't give up Huddy though. But the Danks brothers and maybe Retherford or someone like that? Yeah I'd do it.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)
To sign a young, much sought after all star gold glove lefty that could hit 40+ bombs and would be under the Sox control for the next couple of years... That's why I would probably do it. Okay maybe I wouldn't give up Huddy though. But the Danks brothers and maybe Retherford or someone like that? Yeah I'd do it.

I just do not feel comfortable breaking up the 1-4 without adding something to that. 1-3 with a shaking 4-5 is not appealing. We finally have a great rotation, one of the best in the bigs, I don't want to mess with that so we can find our power stroke again. Otherwise we are basically the same team we were last year, relying on our power to get wins.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
How about Kenny signs Arnoldis Chapman for 5yrs/25mil, then sends both the Danks brothers and (if necessary), Flowers or Hudson to the Padres for Adrian Gonzalez?

Thoughts???

Why not just throw in Beckham as a deal sweetner?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)
I just do not feel comfortable breaking up the 1-4 without adding something to that. 1-3 with a shaking 4-5 is not appealing. We finally have a great rotation, one of the best in the bigs, I don't want to mess with that so we can find our power stroke again. Otherwise we are basically the same team we were last year, relying on our power to get wins.

A great rotation ? That is a bit much i mean what have they accomplished to be consider a Great rotation ? I notice a lot of people here putting all the hopes of this team into the 4 or 5 starting pitchers . Well i hope you are all right because if these 4 or 5 guys don't pitch great we will be seeing another sub 500 year . for me trading one of them of Danks or Floyd in a package to get AGON i would do in a heart beat especially Danks 1 13 win season is not greatness .

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 06:23 AM)
A great rotation ? That is a bit much i mean what have they accomplished to be consider a Great rotation ? I notice a lot of people here putting all the hopes of this team into the 4 or 5 starting pitchers . Well i hope you are all right because if these 4 or 5 guys don't pitch great we will be seeing another sub 500 year . for me trading one of them of Danks or Floyd in a package to get AGON i would do in a heart beat especially Danks 1 13 win season is not greatness .

I agree. People are putting a LOT of faith in the starting rotation, but we still have to score runs.

You aren't really discounting the rotation because of one guys win total from last year, are you?

Your perspective here is strange to me. First, your logic of if the rotation doesn't pitch well we'll have a bad season, applies to every team in baseball. It also applies to every position in baseball. So instead, tey this perspective - how many teams in baseball look to you like their rotations will be better BASED ON WHAT WE KNOW NOW. Not "if this guy does unusually bad/good".

Also, starting pitchers like Danks are a lot harder to replace than 1B's.