2010 Chicago White Sox Spring Training

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 06:49 PM)
Hynick was walking unnoticed by the fans until I shouted, “BRANDON! BRANDON HYNICK!” and instantly made him the most popular player on the team for a minute and a half. He came over, and I said, “Happy to have you out of Colorado."Ace of the Charlotte staff!” He grinned and said, “Happy to be here.”

Did Hudson make the team that I'm not aware of? If I was a player, I'd probably slap you if you told me I was an ace..... in AAA and not having faith in making the big league team even if I'm in denial. ;)

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 12:05 AM)
Did Hudson make the team that I'm not aware of? If I was a player, I'd probably slap you if you told me I was an ace..... in AAA and not having faith in making the big league team even if I'm in denial. ;)

I really did forget about Huddy likely going to Charlotte. I do like Hynick, but yeah, he's not better than Hudson. Really nice guy though. Not a bad pitcher either.

From Cowley via twitter:

Ozzie said he had a talk with Jenks Sunday morning and the closer told him his health is fine. They will not hold him out of Monday outing.

Oz on the Nix-Lillibridge battle - "Very, very disappointed [with both] the last three days.

More Oz on Nix Lilli: "I think they're still playing the same game - little guys, big games. In other words, hit the ball on the ground."

Oz on CJ Retherford - "I love him. I love that kid, a lot. He's a sleeper, but he has started waking people up."

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
Retherford with an oppo basehit. Batting .333 this spring training. I wouldn't feel bad at all about losing Nix if CJ made the team.

Amen. Nix can get you a few 3 run bombs down 8 runs and a decent amount of walks, but he is worthless at driving runs in.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
You are correct, sir. I don't think I knew that.

Is there anyone who has seen Retherford quite a bit that can comment on his defense as compared to Nix's?

I'm sure JPN can chime in but CJ can play virtually everywhere, or at least that's what I'm hearing.

Count me in the Retherford over Nix camp. Jayson was fine last year, but that experiment is over....we need new blood, and it's only for the bench spot, so no big deal really...

I also think should he make the squad, he keeps number 75, that'd be kind of awesome...

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
They were going to try him at catcher. It would be for emergency situations only.

That was my understanding. He'd get some time at C and all sorts of other positions this season in the minors, so that he could truly be a super-sub. It would allow the Sox to have Flowers and AJ (or some other two catchers) on the squad and DH one of them, if CJ is on the bench. I doubt they are considering it a full-time job for CJ, unless he takes to it unusually well (and catching usually takes a lot of years to get good at).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 08:35 AM)
That was my understanding. He'd get some time at C and all sorts of other positions this season in the minors, so that he could truly be a super-sub. It would allow the Sox to have Flowers and AJ (or some other two catchers) on the squad and DH one of them, if CJ is on the bench. I doubt they are considering it a full-time job for CJ, unless he takes to it unusually well (and catching usually takes a lot of years to get good at).

If they'd wanted to do that with Flowers this season they should never have re-upped Castro.

I could still see it being useful to have CJ able to be catcher #3 this year (you can PH for AJ late in blowouts, get him some extra rest, or not have him face a tough lefty and have less worry) but Flowers better start at AAA this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 08:01 AM)
If they'd wanted to do that with Flowers this season they should never have re-upped Castro.

I could still see it being useful to have CJ able to be catcher #3 this year (you can PH for AJ late in blowouts, get him some extra rest, or not have him face a tough lefty and have less worry) but Flowers better start at AAA this year.

Who said it had to be right away this year? Could be later this year, or next year. They may see Flowers as a DH. This just gives them another dimension of flexibility.