Ozzie doesn't want to add anyone...

Heads22

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its unbelievable to me that some of the most diehard Sox fans can take Ozzie's comments so literally. Have any of you ever seen or heard an interview from Ozzie before? He constantly says one thing and mean/does another. The fact that he said this doesn't mean that is what they are going to do, or that is what he really wants to do. Even if he does mean it, WHO CARES?! Unless those words come out of KW's mouth, it is meaningless whether or not Ozzie really wants to add anyone. If Kenny defers to Ozzie and doesn't add anyone then it is no one's fault but Kenny.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 01:35 AM)
Its unbelievable to me that some of the most diehard Sox fans can take Ozzie's comments so literally. Have any of you ever seen or heard an interview from Ozzie before? He constantly says one thing and mean/does another. The fact that he said this doesn't mean that is what they are going to do, or that is what he really wants to do. Even if he does mean it, WHO CARES?! Unless those words come out of KW's mouth, it is meaningless whether or not Ozzie really wants to add anyone. If Kenny defers to Ozzie and doesn't add anyone then it is no one's fault but Kenny.

We had the same argument 4 months ago

What is the argument here?

Obviously, Ozzie having faith in the players on his roster had SOMETHING to do with them eventually coming through in the end, PROBABLY.

Obviously Ozzie didn't give up on Peavy or Floyd or Jenks or AJ or Carlos or Alexei or Pierre, etc.

Say what you will about him, his showing confidence and faith in his players and backing them up (when not throwing them under a bus, which is USUALLY deserved) has worked out pretty well.

Let's not forget Ozzie has a higher percentage of playoff appearances in years attempted than KW. KW is 2/10, Ozzie is 2/6...but someone will argue if anyone but Jerry Manuel was manager in 2003, we SHOULD have gone to the playoffs, well, that's also KW's responsibility, isn't it? The worst run of Ozzie's managerial career, we're something like 11 games under 500 since the 2006 ASB. But you can also turn that around and say we're 15 games over .500 from 2008 through 2010.

I'm going to become like Greg here in a minute and just defend Ozzie just for the heck of it.

I'm not going to get mad about this. The last 11 games have shown Q might be back on track, but even if he is, that only means we're STILL a bat short rather than two bats short as it appeared before. I think the team realizes this, regardless of what they say.

The one concern here is that Ozzie could be serious. If Ozzie is serious, we're not trading for another bat. We learned earlier this month that Ozzie has more power than Kenny (which is why it's still a f***ed up situation, even with our record) and thus, if Ozzie thinks we shouldn't add anybody, we probably won't. But I don't buy Ozzie being dumb enough to not realize we need another bat after seeing what we did the first two months. At all.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
End of story.

I'll take it a step further. For all we know, KW is negotiating with a handful of teams to upgrade the roster. Any team playing hardball with him two weeks ago now has reason to think he might not be as pressed to deal after 11 straight wins. The last thing he needs is his manager undermining his ability to negotiate for that key piece of the puzzle.

Also, I do not put much stock in the notion that OG is in charge. I think it is more a matter of KW is not in charge of OG. Nonetheless, KW makes the decisions on who is on the roster but OG decides which of those 25 men play on a given night and situation. I think JR told them BOTH to cool it and remember what their respective roles are with the team.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
A manager telling the press that he wants his GM to add to his roster suggests that he lacks confidence in his players. So of course Ozzie's going to tell the media that he doesn't want to add anybody.

So few fans see it this way. You've nailed the reality that exists in professional sports. There's a hidden message in that quote. The Sox don't have much to bargain with unless it involves removing someone from the current roster. Getting a full time DH is probably easier said than done. Other than Thome, most guys probably want to be on the field.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 04:40 AM)
So few fans see it this way. You've nailed the reality that exists in professional sports. There's a hidden message in that quote. The Sox don't have much to bargain with unless it involves removing someone from the current roster. Getting a full time DH is probably easier said than done. Other than Thome, most guys probably want to be on the field.

This is sounding so familiar to this past offseason. The same excuses are being made that we heard 4 months ago. Plain and simple, who gives a s*** if you have to DFA Jones or Kotsay.

I don't think Ozzie would find it very easy to DFA Jones, FWIW. They need him as PH power off the bench and for spelling anyone defensively, and just in general as injury insurance.

The obvious concerns going forward are 3B, Beckham and Pierre, along with DH. For mid-season, that's quite a few questions marks to have offensively.

I sincerely doubt they would trade any of the key components right now off the big league roster. It's going to come down to taking on additional salary commitments (or swapping them out for a Linebrink/Teahen/Pierre) OR which minor leaguers are expendable and not integral parts of the plan going forward. That's probably someone like Morel, Danks 2, Gilmore, Justin Greene, Brand. Short, Cleveland Santeliz, Nathan Jones, Santos Rodriguez, etc.

I just don't see trading Flowers, Hudson, Mitchell (that's obvious) or Viciedo.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 09:39 PM)
Is Gardenhire saying they need a top notch starting pitcher?

"Everybody wants the best pitchers in baseball," he said. "So if there are upgrades that can make your team better, I think every manager in baseball will tell you the same thing -- sure."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/97...iD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

game, set, match :)

(FYI, I still think Ozzie said the right thing.)

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
A manager telling the press that he wants his GM to add to his roster suggests that he lacks confidence in his players. So of course Ozzie's going to tell the media that he doesn't want to add anybody.

EXACTLY. I was just gonna post the same thing, but now I don't have to. Thanks for saving me the time, dude. :)

This post says it all.

Why the f*** do people get so worked up over meaningless stuff?? What's Oz supposed to say?

That said, if we stand pat we ain't winning anything including the division. The lineup is way too weak for that.

This is in the hands of KW right now. If anything, it seems like his job is in more jeopardy then Ozzie's (if any of those reports about JR's loyalty to Ozzie are even half true). I don't think KW will be afraid to add a big bat, regardless of what Ozzie says, especially if this ball club loses more than a couple games in a row and loses ground in the race now that we are facing the AL again.

If we revert back to the first 1/3 of the season Sox and fall out of the race, which is still possible considering the main reason we have won is because of superb pitching, the offense still is extremely inconsistent, there is gonna be a ton of heat on Kenny.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
This is in the hands of KW right now. If anything, it seems like his job is in more jeopardy then Ozzie's (if any of those reports about JR's loyalty to Ozzie are even half true). I don't think KW will be afraid to add a big bat, regardless of what Ozzie says, especially if this ball club loses more than a couple games in a row and loses ground in the race now that we are facing the AL again.

If we revert back to the first 1/3 of the season Sox and fall out of the race, which is still possible considering the main reason we have won is because of superb pitching, the offense still is extremely inconsistent, there is gonna be a ton of heat on Kenny.

At this point, we've suddenly made the season exciting and at least partially vindicated KW's plan by putting us realistically in the race. How does that not take his job out of jeopardy?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 08:09 AM)
At this point, we've suddenly made the season exciting and at least partially vindicated KW's plan by putting us realistically in the race. How does that not take his job out of jeopardy?

So a great month vs. the NL should vindicate the whole season, even if the team reverts back to s***ty form?

I'm excited to, but as fast as we seemingly turned this season around, it can all go away just as fast.

This team is still clearly flawed on offense, and if we fall out of the race and revert to the suck we saw in the first 1/3 of the season, that would be letting a golden opportunity go, because this team does have the pitching staff to compete now, but needs more help on offense.

I really don't see how a 2 week hot streak should vindicate everything. We need to build off of it and try and solidify our spot in the race, not stay put and see which team shows up for the next 2 weeks.

The biggest hole in this team is a potent left handed bat. Not only isn't there a single LH power hitter on the 40 man roster, but there really isn't one in the entire organization. This glaring deficiency has become even more apparent with Teahen's injury, although he really isn't that good to begin with.

It's important to have a least one LH threat because pitchers just get too comfortable facing one right handed hitter after another. Moreover, late in the game, this team's lineup doesn't force the opposing manager to make any lefty-righty match ups, unless of course there is a left handed starter. Does he really need to go to the bullpen to bring in a left handed reliever to face A.J., Kotsay, or Teahen?

It would be interesting to research how many teams have ever made it deep into the post season without at least one dangerous left handed hitter. I can't think of one, can you?

So, who is out there, and who could the Sox afford to give up in exchange?

Many of you have mentioned Dunn, Fielder, La Roche, Markakis, Shin-Soo Choo and A. Gonzales.

Perhaps K.W. should target a younger player who hasn't yet completely established himself, as the others would cost too much, both in players sacrificed and salary owed.

I mentioned Chris Davis some time ago, and I still think that he's a good candidate. Texas needs pitching, and Davis is blocked by Smoak at 1B.

They have Davis playing a lot of 3B at AAA. He had a great half season for the Rangers a couple of years ago, when he was just 22, and he's tearing up AAA this year. I understand that he has struggled a bit with his big swing, but he's young enough to make adjustments.

Perhaps the Sox could offer Garcia. He could help the Rangers rotation, and the Sox have Hudson to take Freddy's place as the 5th starter.

If Davis is not the answer, then I'd search for a similar young LH power hitter who could fill that void, not only this year, but for several years to come.

Edited by Lillian