White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
so who goes away to make room for Manram? Kotsay? Lilli? I predict Andruw Jones, which would disappoint given his defensive skills late in the game.

From what I've read, the Sox really think Jones has been an excellent influence on Rios. I think Lillibridge would find his way to Charlotte and get called back up in a few days when rosters expand.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 06:22 PM)
I hope he does better this September than last.

His September last year was still better than what Kotsay & Jones have done this year. And if he does 75% of what he did when the Dodgers traded for him in 2008, he would probably our best hitter for the last month.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
Its 49 hours until a claim is awarded. You don't have to check no, so if something happens in the next day or so where you may want to put a claim in, you can.

So how could anyone report "Sox are close to deal with Dodgers", if they can't even be awarded the claim until Friday? Unless he was actually placed on waivers on Monday, and no one noticed?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 06:29 PM)
His September last year was still better than what Kotsay & Jones have done this year. And if he does 75% of what he did when the Dodgers traded for him in 2008, he would probably our best hitter for the last month.

2 years when you're 38, a bad leg, and no juice is going to make anything near what he did when he became a Dodger highly unlikely.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
So how could anyone report "Sox are close to deal with Dodgers", if they can't even be awarded the claim until Friday? Unless he was actually placed on waivers on Monday, and no one noticed?

They can agree to a deal, but just can't actually make it until the Sox are awarded the claim. Who knows, maybe KW is only going to actually claim him if he can work out a deal beforehand. Perhaps they aren't willing to take on the $4.5 million total burden.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 06:22 PM)
I hope he does better this September than last.

I think even his biggest admirers would admit its at least a little sad when a guy getting paid over $20 million a year to do something has to have some sort of carrot put in front of his nose to get "motivated".

His September last year wasn't all that bad. .218/.384/.449/.833. And as far as players being motivated when they're playing for contracts, do you think it's just coincidence that Konerko's two best seasons have come the year before he was set to become a FA? Not saying it's right. But it's reality.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
His September last year wasn't all that bad. .218/.384/.449/.833. And as far as players being motivated when they're playing for contracts, do you think it's just coincidence that Konerko's two best seasons have come the year before he was set to become a FA? Not saying it's right. But it's reality.

Konerko's 2004 was almost a carbon copy of 2005, and he had a higher OPS in 2006 than 2004 or 2005. You cannot compare Konerko's attitude with Manny's. There's no questioning Manny's talent, but he's taken a lot of time off during his career just to be stupid. His numbers would be ridiculous if he had Konerko's worth ethic.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
Another quick question about waivers.

Do they wait until the 48 hours are over to award the claim, or just until all teams have submitted a response? I would think a team like the Twins would wait until the last second to make their decision so the Sox have to wait longer to get Manny into the line-up. I find it hard to believe he was placed on waivers today, and the Sox have already been awarded the claim.

but it wouldn't get to the twins if the sox put a claim on him, right? it's reverse standings, first NL then AL, if i'm not mistaken.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 06:43 PM)
Konerko's 2004 was almost a carbon copy of 2005, and he had a higher OPS in 2006 than 2004 or 2005. You cannot compare Konerko's attitude with Manny's. There's no questioning Manny's talent, but he's taken a lot of time off during his career just to be stupid. His numbers would be ridiculous if he had Konerko's worth ethic.

I stand corrected. For some reason I thought PK's career year before this year was 2005. But c'mon, DA. Do you just not like Manny? His numbers would be more ridiculous with PK's work ethic? Anymore ridiculous and they would've had to shut the sport down.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
but it wouldn't get to the twins if the sox put a claim on him, right? it's reverse standings, first NL then AL, if i'm not mistaken.

I assume you mean, the option to claim him wouldn't get to the Twins? Actually, I believe that all teams get to make their decision on a player, and then they sort through who made a claim, and pick the team that is highest on the claim pole. So, the Twins can make a claim, they just won't win that claim if an NL team or an AL team w/ a worse record makes a claim as well.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 06:47 PM)
I stand corrected. For some reason I thought PK's career year before this year was 2005. But c'mon, DA. Do you just not like Manny? His numbers would be more ridiculous with PK's work ethic? Anymore ridiculous and they would've had to shut the sport down.

Manny with PK's motivation is hitting 800 HR.

That's more an admiration about PK's ethic than Manny's laziness.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 06:43 PM)

Konerko's stats have almost entirely been linked to his injuries, especially his thumb. He does tend to over analyze and get stuck in quick sand if he's going bad, but when healthy he's pretty consistent.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 01:26 AM)
Konerko's stats have almost entirely been linked to his injuries, especially his thumb. He does tend to over analyze and get stuck in quick sand if he's going bad, but when healthy he's pretty consistent.

yahoo! had a good story last week about paulie. essentially he said that he's come to terms with his swing and isn't as obsessive about his performance as he once was. he needs to talk to tcq.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
I assume you mean, the option to claim him wouldn't get to the Twins? Actually, I believe that all teams get to make their decision on a player, and then they sort through who made a claim, and pick the team that is highest on the claim pole. So, the Twins can make a claim, they just won't win that claim if an NL team or an AL team w/ a worse record makes a claim as well.

That I don't know. I think if the Sox make a claim on him and the teams before them pass then that's all that matters. Then it's a matter of whether the Dodgers pull him back, let him go or work out a trade, as you know. But there's no time limit on that, just the 3 days that a player can stay on the wire.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 06:46 PM)
That I don't know. I think if the Sox make a claim on him and the teams before them pass then that's all that matters. Then it's a matter of whether the Dodgers pull him back, let him go or work out a trade, as you know. But there's no time limit on that, just the 3 days that a player can stay on the wire.

Joe is correct. Each club has 48 hours to put a claim on a player. The Twins can put a claim on Manny, but that will be irrelevant because the White Sox will claim him as well. Since the White Sox are lower in the standings then the Twins, the White Sox are awarded the claim.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 01:46 AM)
BNightengale

#mlb #whitesox #dodgers Manny Ramirez has let it be known through friends that, if presented, he would accept a trade to the White Sox.

He likes us!!

He really really likes us!!!!

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 07:46 PM)
BNightengale

#mlb #whitesox #dodgers Manny Ramirez has let it be known through friends that, if presented, he would accept a trade to the White Sox.

Someone will actually accept a trade here? Biggest news of the season.