8/22 Danks vs. Frustrated Royal

Quin

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
Still cannot get over how bad the 2-0 ball call to Blanco was.

Well maybe our manager can keep his yap shut a bit when the umps over the years have f***ed up. Sure some of them suck, but having open battles of public opinion are not going to work in the long run.

This is like going skydiving, and the guy packing your chute is a guy you called a cocksucker 24 hours ago. Then you are shocked when you pull the cord, and see pots and pans flying out. Joe West is what he is, and getting into battles with him is not the answer. He did exactly what we thought he would.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Season over.

Cant win a series vs KC but still think this team will overcome a 4 game deficit vs the Twins?

Dude, I agree. We can´t f´ing win any series against our cellar dwellars. I see another big slide coming.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
This is like going skydiving, and the guy packing your chute is a guy you called a cocksucker 24 hours ago. Then you are shocked when you pull the cord, and see pots and pans flying out. Joe West is what he is, and getting into battles with him is not the answer. He did exactly what we thought he would.

except thats bulls*** because no umpire should be holding some grudge against a team/player/manager and letting that alter their calls in those games.. yes, I realize it happens but it shouldn't regardless of what ozzie said or did

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
The average umpire has a 5% error. West was at 8.7% today and that's kind of a guesstimate.

Actually, ESPN did a study during a 2 week period, and then discovered that umpires made the right call only 66% of the time. They reviewed every close call of all the games over that 2 weeks. It was like 184 games or something.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
I swear, if the Sox lose on a walkoff hit tomorrow, this site is going to crash.

Naw, I think were going to see alot of posters giving up mostly or not caring anymore regardless if the Twins lose as well. No anger post except about Ozzie.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
Naw, I think were going to see alot of posters giving up mostly or not caring anymore regardless if the Twins lose as well. No anger post except about Ozzie.

Well, it would be very nice if the Twins lose tonight and tomorrow. If they win both games prior to Sox game starting on Tuesday, then people will be even more upset than usual. I'm basically numb to these walk-off hits now...never seen a team have so many walk-off hits against them in such a short span.

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
except thats bulls*** because no umpire should be holding some grudge against a team/player/manager and letting that alter their calls in those games.. yes, I realize it happens but it shouldn't regardless of what ozzie said or did

Go to your local police dept, give them your name, and call them all cocksuckers. Then drive the speed limit in your town. I bet money you get pulled over. Why, because life is unfair and people hold grudges.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 04:37 PM)
Actually, ESPN did a study during a 2 week period, and then discovered that umpires made the right call only 66% of the time. They reviewed every close call of all the games over that 2 weeks. It was like 184 games or something.

I thought Questech or whatever says the average umpire is right on calls 95% of the time?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
I thought Questech or whatever says the average umpire is right on calls 95% of the time?

I believe that QuesTec judges balls and strikes. The ESPN study I am referring to did everything BUT balls and strikes. And of those plays, only 66% of the time did the umpires make the obvious right call.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
I believe that QuesTec judges balls and strikes. The ESPN study I am referring to did everything BUT balls and strikes. And of those plays, only 66% of the time did the umpires make the obvious right call.

Oh, then it's completely different. For close plays other than balls and strikes, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they were only right 66% of the time.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
Oh, then it's completely different. For close plays other than balls and strikes, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they were only right 66% of the time.

I am not surprised either, but that doesn't meant it's an acceptable number. If umpires can't get the calls right at least 80-85% of the time on close calls, then we need to have some replay review system.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)
I am not surprised either, but that doesn't meant it's an acceptable number. If umpires can't get the calls right at least 80-85% of the time on close calls, then we need to have some replay review system.

But..........it's ESPN. They can't even get their pregame SPs right half the time.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)

You're actually missing the reality...it was 65% of the time they were completely correct, 20% they were obviously wrong, and the other 15% or so was so close that it was indeterminate even on the replay.

(That said, I still want a challenge).

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 04:37 PM)

Nope, sorry. Unfortunately ESPN can't do statistical analysis if the company depended on it. Here's the low down from a person who actually understands statistics instead of a bunch of brodogs at Bristol who just REALLY LOVE SPORTS:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/08/esp...blows-call.html

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
Nope, sorry. Unfortunately ESPN can't do statistical analysis if the company depended on it. Here's the low down from a person who actually understands statistics instead of a bunch of brodogs at Bristol who just REALLY LOVE SPORTS:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/08/esp...blows-call.html

To be fair though...the idea of an arbitrary "close call" is something that a statistics guy should criticize, but that doesn't mean it's not something that could be judged by a guy who knows the game some.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
To be fair though...the idea of an arbitrary "close call" is something that a statistics guy should criticize, but that doesn't mean it's not something that could be judged by a guy who knows the game some.

No, it's completely arbitrary and thus bulls***. You can't roll out a statistical survey and have your big headline be something arbitrary. It's something Chad at State U. will eat up because he doesn't know any better.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
No, it's completely arbitrary and thus bulls***. You can't roll out a statistical survey and have your big headline be something arbitrary. It's something Chad at State U. will eat up because he doesn't know any better.

Just because something is arbitrary doesn't mean that it's not useful.

I was actually somewhat impressed, if you tell me that 1 out of 5 close calls are impossible to tell on video, 1/5 are wrong, and 3/5 are right...that's not terribly bad, that means that they're doing pretty well.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
Losing 2 of 3 to Kansas s***ty is horrid!

It is horrid but not unexpected. I mentioned my fears right after the victory over the Twins.

I said it before and I'll say it again...start dumping salary. I'd rather watch a bunch of hungry kids give maximum effort rather than this somnambulent bunch of losers.

It is horrid but not unexpected. I mentioned my fears right after the victory over the Twins.

I knew we were in trouble the minute somebody said before the first game, "it will be a bitter diappointment if we don't sweep."

Yes I am superstitious and yes I knew we were going to lose the series after somebody said that. What is our record against the AL Central? We don't sweep Central teams on the road, except when we are in a once in a lifetime 25-5 stretch.

Edited by greg775