2010 World Series: Rangers vs. Giants

Brian

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 11:41 PM)
Bengie Molina is getting a ring no matter what. Life's got to be good for him.

That's awesome.

Why are they waiting for Wednesday to start this series, though? I mean, there has been plenty of time between the LCS's and now, plus you can have games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday if you start the series on Tuesday.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
I'm for the AL although I do have affection for Uribe. Its funny a huge Jim Hendry blunder is really never noted, when he claimed Josh Hamilton in the rule 5 and sold him to Cincinatti.

FWIW, that was a prearranged deal. Hendry never did claim him for the Cubs sake.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
FWIW, that was a prearranged deal. Hendry never did claim him for the Cubs sake.

In retrospect he should have, and obviously could have. They would never have signed Milton Bradley, so character couldn't be part of it. Of course its easy to look back at it now, but if he had the insight the front office in Cincinatti had, a lot of things would have probably been different with the Cubs. On the other hand, maybe he relapses, but its still good to stick the needle into Cubs fans, no pun intended, about how Josh Hamilton was a Cub for a few minutes.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
In retrospect he should have, and obviously could have. They would never have signed Milton Bradley, so character couldn't be part of it. Of course its easy to look back at it now, but if he had the insight the front office in Cincinatti had, a lot of things would have probably been different with the Cubs. On the other hand, maybe he relapses, but its still good to stick the needle into Cubs fans, no pun intended, about how Josh Hamilton was a Cub for a few minutes.

What did it say for Hamilton when he at minimum wage was considered a bigger risk than 3 years $30 million for Bradley. More than Hamilton, that was one signing I never got for them. It had disaster written all over it, without even needing hindsight.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)
Why are they waiting for Wednesday to start this series, though? I mean, there has been plenty of time between the LCS's and now, plus you can have games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday if you start the series on Tuesday.

Because baseball just isn't fun if it's not played in November.

The serious answer continues to be the TV schedule. Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, (Monday), (Wednesday), (Thursday).

You're guaranteed weekend evening games and you avoid Friday night.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 10:01 AM)
I don't think the disparity in pitching is large enough for the Giants to win this. The Rangers have a potent offense, the Giants have Buster Posey.

The Giants also had the second best UZR in the Majors, with the Rangers about 40 points below them.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
They are a good team as evidenced by their October success, but *I* personally don't care at all about them. Cliff Lee can't wait to get the hell out of there for NY and I've heard more stories about the glory of Hamilton than the glory of Christ. I'm done with caring about how amazing it is that he stopped shooting heroin so he could resume being a pro ballplayer. That bit was tired about 3 HR's into his AB in last years (I think) HR Derby.

I think a lot of people got tired about the recovered heroin addict stuff. It doesn't change the fact that he put up a .359/.411/.633/1.044 line this year while playing good defense in CF. Josh Hamilton is good.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
Because baseball just isn't fun if it's not played in November.

The serious answer continues to be the TV schedule. Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, (Monday), (Wednesday), (Thursday).

You're guaranteed weekend evening games and you avoid Friday night.

Why would you want to avoid Friday night? I could be wrong, but I would think that games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights would be the best rated.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
Why would you want to avoid Friday night? I could be wrong, but I would think that games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights would be the best rated.

In general I think Friday night is death for most television. In particular the 18-49 demographic tends to not be watching tv that night. Saturday gets some of the same effect as well.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 11:41 PM)
Bengie Molina is getting a ring no matter what. Life's got to be good for him.

I know he's entitled to it, but I couldn't accept it from the Giants if I was him. Maybe accept it and then put it up for auction with the money going to charity.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
I think a lot of people got tired about the recovered heroin addict stuff. It doesn't change the fact that he put up a .359/.411/.633/1.044 line this year while playing good defense in CF. Josh Hamilton is good.

I was tired of his damn story the second I heard it. That being said, he's just something else at the plate. He's an absolute joy to watch swing the bat.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
I know he's entitled to it, but I couldn't accept it from the Giants if I was him. Maybe accept it and then put it up for auction with the money going to charity.

That's a pretty big overreaction to a world series ring. The guy got moved for Buster Posey. It is hard to be bitter about that. It would be like AJ being bitter about being moved for Mauer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 01:11 PM)
In general I think Friday night is death for most television. In particular the 18-49 demographic tends to not be watching tv that night. Saturday gets some of the same effect as well.

The problem is with this format they have Saturday, Sunday, Monday which they will have to compete with college football and the NFL. Of course its not our problem, but without truly marquee teams playing, these ratings are going to get hurt by the football.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)

I'd still take it if I were him. He spent 3.5 seasons there and was a contributer to their team. Is it right? Maybe not, but if they're going to give it to him, might as well take it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)
That's awesome.

Great post.

Ridiculous to wait so long and have the rotations get all set up.

I wish they'd just played it after a travel day.

The local media has picked up the fact that Lee pretty much likes how things are here. It'll be interesting if $50+ million over a 5 year contract speaks louder, because you know whatever the Rangers offers the Yankmees will add +1-2 more years and $10 million + per year (aka at least $50 million) to the contract. In fact, I bet you they'd give him $200 million over 5 years. Yea, $40 million per year. It wouldn't surprise me.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 08:39 PM)
The local media has picked up the fact that Lee pretty much likes how things are here. It'll be interesting if $50+ million over a 5 year contract speaks louder, because you know whatever the Rangers offers the Yankmees will add +1-2 more years and $10 million + per year (aka at least $50 million) to the contract. In fact, I bet you they'd give him $200 million over 5 years. Yea, $40 million per year. It wouldn't surprise me.

WTF? The Yankees are probably going $150/6-7, but, um, WTF?