Putz likely to re-sign with Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 01:53 AM)
I don't think Putz is going to cash in this offseason. Hopefully we get him for another 1yr deal, with better incentives.

I agree with this. He was very good in his comeback year, s*** I'd give him and A- even.

But considering how he imploded at the end, I can't see anybody giving him a good deal.

Bring him back for a year.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 01:10 AM)
I like the committee idea if Sale is in there. Sale, Santos, Putz and Thornton is not a typical "closer by committee" that blows up in a team's face. It's formidable.

Are the Sox going to give another bullpen spot to a young farm guy?

I could see Gregory Infante getting a vacated bullpen spot if he gets more control.

I could also see Kyle Bellamy or Charlie Leesman in the BP at some point this year (Leesman especially if Sale switches to starter for someone)

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 02:10 AM)
I like the committee idea if Sale is in there. Sale, Santos, Putz and Thornton is not a typical "closer by committee" that blows up in a team's face. It's formidable.

Are the Sox going to give another bullpen spot to a young farm guy?

Not really a fan of the committee.

Thornton doesn't make any sense as the closer since he has just a year left, and putting a bunch of saves under his belt only makes him harder to retain. It's not like he's far and away the best option either because like you say, this isn't some ordinary group.

Neither Sale nor Santos make any sense unless you plan to keep them there. As young (or inexperienced) as those guys are, you want to give them a role they can grow into. Either one as closer, with the idea of permanency behind it, does make sense though.

All 4 guys have the stuff to close, but if Putz comes back and if the Sox don't want to commit to either Sale or Santos as the future closer, then Putz makes the most sense. He has experience in the role and putting him there shouldn't hurt the team in any way. But if he does for whatever reason get hurt or just plain fail, you can always look to slide someone else into that spot (potentially even a trade acquisition) without disturbing the roles of the every other piece - and I think that's the main thing, that everyone has a role and is comfortable in it. They're all good bets to be very good, and they'll all have strong runs and they'll all have times where they're blowing it, but overall if they have consistent roles, we should have an excellent back end of a bullpen.

Putz back is good. If Jenks will take a cheap deal, great. But I doubt he will, and I am not even sure the Sox will offer.

Putz closing, with Thornton and Santos setting up, isn't too bad. Linebrink will still be there, plus a LOOGY from the scrap heap more than likely. That leaves two open spots (if Putz re-signs). I'd love to see one of them go to Infante/Bellamy, and have a good long man for the other slot, but I'd be open to Jenks there instead of I/B, if Jenks would sign for like $2M or less.

Basically, if they can sign Putz, I feel decent about the pen. I'm much more concerned with C, 1B, DH and RF (or whatever combo occurs there).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
Putz back is good. If Jenks will take a cheap deal, great. But I doubt he will, and I am not even sure the Sox will offer.

Putz closing, with Thornton and Santos setting up, isn't too bad. Linebrink will still be there, plus a LOOGY from the scrap heap more than likely. That leaves two open spots (if Putz re-signs). I'd love to see one of them go to Infante/Bellamy, and have a good long man for the other slot, but I'd be open to Jenks there instead of I/B, if Jenks would sign for like $2M or less.

Basically, if they can sign Putz, I feel decent about the pen. I'm much more concerned with C, 1B, DH and RF (or whatever combo occurs there).

That's extremely dangerous IMO. Imagine what an injury to Putz or Thornton plus Santos having some second year struggles does to our pen. It costs us games, and lots of them, until Kenny can find a way to overpay for someone else's reliever. And those prices are very high.

The best idea is to not ever count on some minor leaguer who has proven nothing like Bellamy and Infante (edit: who doesn't look like some phenom, which they certainly don't). If one of those guys are going to get in they should have to force themselves in. Putting Linebrink anywhere but the very back of the bullpen is a huge mistake. He needs to be that weakest link that a Bellamy or Infante would try to replace. We need talent pushing those guys back. If we win anything in 2011 we'll still have to do it with pitching and defense, so we should try to assemble that team. Just this time don't be idiotic about the DH position and that huge gaping hole in the lineup where a lefty bat used to sit.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)

Well...if the Sox don't trade a starter, then they don't need a LOOGY...Sale will be there.

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
I want Sale starting in AA. I want him to throw some competitive innings, not against junk AAAA players and journeymen....

He will throw competitive innings in AAA. The hitters are better and more experienced, and thus will provide a bigger challenge. Further, pitching in Charlotte puts him in a stadium much more comparable to the Cell than Birmingham's does.

The hitters in AA are probably more talented, sure, but Sale would destroy AA hitters and wouldn't get nearly as much out of the experience compared to hitters in AAA. If you can command two pitches well - which Sale can - he will have no problem slicing his way through AA lineups. He needs to refine a third pitch, and the best way to do that is to put him against hitters who are in AAA because they can still hit breaking stuff.

If he is in the minors next year, it needs to be in AAA.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 07:38 AM)
I think Cooper is 100% right when he stated flat-out that Sale will be in the big leagues next year. If no starter is traded and Peavy comes back, he'll be in the bullpen.

If we plan on contending(which we always do) then Chris will definitely be in the bullpen to start the season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 07:38 AM)
I think Cooper is 100% right when he stated flat-out that Sale will be in the big leagues next year. If no starter is traded and Peavy comes back, he'll be in the bullpen.

Which, IMO, is the correct move.

I want the 25 best guys we have on this team.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 06:23 PM)
That's extremely dangerous IMO. Imagine what an injury to Putz or Thornton plus Santos having some second year struggles does to our pen. It costs us games, and lots of them, until Kenny can find a way to overpay for someone else's reliever. And those prices are very high.

The best idea is to not ever count on some minor leaguer who has proven nothing like Bellamy and Infante (edit: who doesn't look like some phenom, which they certainly don't). If one of those guys are going to get in they should have to force themselves in. Putting Linebrink anywhere but the very back of the bullpen is a huge mistake. He needs to be that weakest link that a Bellamy or Infante would try to replace. We need talent pushing those guys back. If we win anything in 2011 we'll still have to do it with pitching and defense, so we should try to assemble that team. Just this time don't be idiotic about the DH position and that huge gaping hole in the lineup where a lefty bat used to sit.

I don't disagree that its risky, and its not perfect. But with limited resources, I'd rather put more into the truly gaping holes.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
If we plan on contending(which we always do) then Chris will definitely be in the bullpen to start the season.

I gotta say, the more I think about it, the more I disagree.

If we plan on putting our best possible 25 man contending roster forward, I think one major goal must be somehow "maximizing the value of all of our guys", especially if we are a team operating with salary constraints.

If I ask "What is Sale's maximum value to this team", unless the team thinks he's a huge injury risk, it's pitching 160-185 innings in the 5th starter role, rather than 50 as the 2nd lefty in the bullpen.

If I want to put my best possible team out next year...I think I put out a better team with Sale in the rotation, Danks or Floyd (or maybe Jackson) traded to bring in a solid guy who can play RF and be a legitimate lineup piece, and a couple of cheaper signings to fill the 2nd lefty and 6th starter/bullpen longman role.

Throwing Sale directly into the rotation would be a mistake. He hasn't started a single game at any level of professional ball. You either keep him in the bullpen for 2011, or have the patience to develop him for a year as a starter in the minors so he is ready to be a potentially much more effective and valuable starter in 2012.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
Throwing Sale directly into the rotation would be a mistake. He hasn't started a single game at any level of professional ball. You either keep him in the bullpen for 2011, or have the patience to develop him for a year as a starter in the minors so he is ready to be a potentially much more effective and valuable starter in 2012.

I'm guessing the insane 3 year Benoit deal pretty much kills a Putz return to the White Sox.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Saufley @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 01:22 AM)
Putz declines arbitration. Tells Chuck Garfein of CSN he has talked with 8 teams already.

Good bye Putz? I guess we stil could sign him if he likes the Sox and is just checking on the money that might be out there

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 12:30 AM)
Good bye Putz? I guess we stil could sign him if he likes the Sox and is just checking on the money that might be out there

We also might be talking to our closer and Putz might not be getting that from all of the other 7 suitors.