Sox to go with four man rotation to start the season?

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (since56 @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 04:24 PM)
Is Millwood still available?

He wants at least $4 million I believe. I personally agree and think the Sox should at least think about bringing in another starter, unless they are absolutely sure Peavy will only miss a couple of starts. If you wind up having an extra one, he'd be pretty easy to find a home. The problem is, its pretty slim pickins right now. Millwood is a guy who could give you innings, but his ERA is going to be around 5.00 most likely. If they were inclined to give $4 million for that, I would imagine Freddy Garcia would have been brought back.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
Here is a guy we should seriously consider:

* Jeremy Bonderman- I know he isn't the 2006-07 Bonderman anymore- but as a 5th starter and some spring training tweaking- we may catch lightning in a bottle here. I liked the way he was throwing the ball late in the year as well.

I'm definitely in favor of picking up Bonderman on a minor league deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)
I've got to imagine he is looking for a better chance that what we will have to offer.

I look at Bonderman's career numbers and it always seemed to me he was a much better pitcher than he's actually been. He's had a big park to pitch in, yet nothing ever eye popping about his numbers. If all it took were a minor league contract, I'd give him a shot, but I think his reputation even with the injuries has far exceded his results.

The one guy assuming he was anything near healthy I was hoping the Sox might bring in was Justin Duscherer. I think he's one guy that could have fit into the bullpen after a 3 or 4 or 5 start stint.

Edited by Dick Allen

Living near Detroit for 5 years really made it easy to see how bad Bonderman was/has become. He used to have a real live arm, and he was always working on a changeup and splitter that scouts and management raved about going into every season saying "this will be the season he breaks out." Then he started getting injured and his velocity has dropped.

April .797

May .799

June .791

July .780

Aug .769

Sept/Oct .760

April .756

May .755

June .778

July .753

Aug .762

Sept/Oct .750

April .741

May .740

June .749

July .763

Aug .749

Sept/Oct .746

April .753

May .753

June .769

July .757

Aug .749

Sept/Oct .746

April .768

May .753

June .759

July .767

Aug .783

Sept/Oct .749

April .739

May .747

June .767

July .757

Aug .741

Sept/Oct .743

April .767

May .761

June .766

July .792

Aug .767

Sept/Oct .760

April/March .731

May .747

June .759

July .759

Aug .774

Sept/Oct .778

April/March .733

May .736

June .750

July .762

Aug .759

Sept/Oct .756

Funny how so much seems so reliant on a guy who can only contribute every fifth game, and then only after the first month. Peavy should be frosting on top not the main ingrediant. Maybe Sale does have to come out of the bullpen into the starting rotation after all.

I would take a shot at millwood, but then again its not my money. Don't want Bonderman....Jeff Suppan?....Ben Sheets?......... I know scrap heap material.

Edited by since56

however we need the starters to produce.

Remember last year, when most of us thought we were loaded with quality starters? Three of them disappointed IMO. Buehrle 13-13, Floyd 10-13, Jackson 10-12. Forget Peavy, he's a luxury. He may not be ready to contribute for a whole year. These are the guys that need to contribute in order to go all the way. Our bullpen should be very solid.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
Come on man, you know better than this.

It's not that they're going up, it's that they're going to go dramatically down this year, before going dramatically back up next year.

That's a much different beast from the fact that his innings have been going up the last few years.

You could always pitch him in Winter ball to add more innings and get him ready to be a starter next year.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 07:49 PM)
however we need the starters to produce.

Remember last year, when most of us thought we were loaded with quality starters? Three of them disappointed IMO. Buehrle 13-13, Floyd 10-13, Jackson 10-12. Forget Peavy, he's a luxury. He may not be ready to contribute for a whole year. These are the guys that need to contribute in order to go all the way. Our bullpen should be very solid.

Um, we had Jackson for two months and he performed admirably. And I don't even like Jackson. I agree with most of your post. I'm one not totally sold on the bullpen. The only sure thing is Thornton.

I know I'm late to the party and haven't read the thread in its entirety, but if they are trying to go with a four man rotation for a while, it should be obvious that there's an issue. I realize they're doing this to give the Jakester time to get 100% ready, but ugh - "let's start out by going 4 deep" doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
I know I'm late to the party and haven't read the thread in its entirety, but if they are trying to go with a four man rotation for a while, it should be obvious that there's an issue. I realize they're doing this to give the Jakester time to get 100% ready, but ugh - "let's start out by going 4 deep" doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

My Goodness, I agree with Kap about something!

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
It's pretty simple imo: Peavy starts on the dl, let Humber take a few spot starts(yes I know he's garbage but he's the best of the garbage that we have) and then dfa him or whatever the hell you need to do when Jake's ready to go.

I agree with this. Let's see what Humber can do. He might surprise us all. It'd be better than wearing Pena and the rest of the bullpen out.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)
I agree with this. Let's see what Humber can do. He might surprise us all. It'd be better than wearing Pena and the rest of the bullpen out.

My opinion is may the best man win in the spring. There is no one that particularly has impressed me out of the group, but I would keep our bullpen pitchers out of the mix to protect their arms for the stretch run.

Merkin's mailbag today:

I read in an earlier article that Williams prefers to have Tony Pena and Sale stay in the 'pen for the entire 2011 season. If that's the case, who will take Peavy's spot at the beginning of the year? -- Robin, New York

Look at pitchers such as Phil Humber, who is my pick, and Lucas Harrell as prime candidates for those three or four April starts. Pena will be working in the bullpen, but don't completely rule out Sale for an early-season starting opportunity. If Sale starts and the rookie southpaw is effective, he might not leave that rotation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)

this is how it should be in my opinion. If Sale can prove he can start while peavys gone and danks still doesnt wanna resign then id ship danks. Only way id do it differently is if they dont think Sale can last a whole year as a starter

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 05:30 PM)
this is how it should be in my opinion. If Sale can prove he can start while peavys gone and danks still doesnt wanna resign then id ship danks. Only way id do it differently is if they dont think Sale can last a whole year as a starter

How many starts would it take for Sale to prove that?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
How many starts would it take for Sale to prove that?

good question if he shows he can can hang in the 3 or so hed get while peavys out id let jake do a stint in the minors or give peavy more time till hes absolutely 100% to give sale a few more starts and if he shows no sign of fatigue after 5 starts or so then id give em the job and send danks to the yanks(hopefully seeing as i think they have the best pieces to offer). Id maybe give the bullpen some starts throughout the year to give sale some rest.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
I predict that Phil Humber will get a start and DOMINATE, and you'll be able to hear the eyebrows raise around here.

I'll bump this thread when it happens.

If he had one start where he went 6 innings and only allowed 4 runs, I'd celebrate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
Come on man, you know better than this.

It's not that they're going up, it's that they're going to go dramatically down this year, before going dramatically back up next year.

That's a much different beast from the fact that his innings have been going up the last few years.

This really isn't going to be an issue. Any starter will tell you that you can pitch starter innings in the minors all you want, but nothing prepares you for throwing 160+ until you actually pitch in the Majors. It usually takes guys a year in the big leagues to get fully acclimated to it. Sale is on pace to get to around 170+ by the age of 24. That's a good enough pace.

The up and down thing isn't going to hurt him in the slightest. The bottom line is: the Sox are better off this year having him pitch in the bullpen, so that's where he belongs. If he has to spend an extended amount of time as a starter this year, the Sox will not be as good as they would be if he were a reliever.

He'll be fine. Unless, of course, he gets injured which is a possibility.