5/29 at Blue Jays

flavum

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Capn12 @ May 29, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
What is with the f***ing fascination with Dallas McPherson??

No s***. Why the f*** isn't the Tank up here when our offense has been ridiculously awful for 2 months?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
Will anybody think Rios/Peavy/Dunn/AJ/Jackson can contribute? I think you can trade them. Unfortuately you may have to eat salary and Jerry may not want those type of deals.

Greg, I am sorry, but you just have no concept of how the business of baseball works.

Tell me what sense it makes to trade players who have relatively no value on the market because of BOTH their salaries and their production, especially when you have no one in your system worth a damn to replace them? You're going to end up eating a ton of salary to ship them out, meanwhile you're not going to receive anything other than token warm bodies, which you will then have to pay as well. You then replace those players you are still paying with players that are even worse. Far worse, actually.

It makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever.

I just turned it off my mlb.com. Can't take any more.

I try to laugh it off but at some point I start to get mad again.

My gosh, who would buy a ticket the rest of the season?

I mean if you need to see baseball aren't there, like, five minor league teams in the Chicago area?

But the Indians are losing and we're still only 9 1/2 GB.

I still think it's possible we can get back within 3-4 games, but winning the division? Doubt it.

There's really nothing to be excited about with this team, for the moment. In 2007, at least there was Fields/Owens/Wasserman.

I guess Peavy's comeback, Santos, Alexei/Quentin/Konerko offensively and Lillibridge for a brief time span.

Either take 2/3 from the Red Sox or get swept by Boston and DET at home and call it a season early.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 29, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
A better solution would be to fire our clearly incompetent hitting coach and see if we can salvage Beckham.

I cannot believe this move hasn't been made yet. I mean, with all of the offensive struggles this team has had in the last six years, how has nobody gotten fired? How has this person who, at best, makes almost no difference for better or worse not gotten fired just to move in another direction?

There is no accountability. That's how.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
Catchers who aren't good at hitting, fielding or throwing and due to make $6 million next year aren't at a premium.

Yeah I know hence the "unlikely" part. It's just wishful thinking that maybe some borderline contender could use a gritty catcher like AJ.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 29, 2011 -> 07:30 PM)
Greg, I am sorry, but you just have no concept of how the business of baseball works.

Tell me what sense it makes to trade players who have relatively no value on the market because of BOTH their salaries and their production, especially when you have no one in your system worth a damn to replace them? You're going to end up eating a ton of salary to ship them out, meanwhile you're not going to receive anything other than token warm bodies, which you will then have to pay as well. You then replace those players you are still paying with players that are even worse. Far worse, actually.

It makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever.

Because in a rebuilding, we have to first dump the salaries. I thought my 5-6 suggestions in that order were pretty good.

But if the team doesn't go 9-1 in the first 10 games with a new manager/GM when they are fired tonight or after the Boston series, you have to try to get rid of all that salary dead weight.

You say nobody wants Rios/Peavy/Dunn, etc. Well why the f*** did the Sox want them?

Somebody might want them. You have to dump the salary and take your lumps with the lousy minor leaguers in their place.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
Because in a rebuilding, we have to first dump the salaries. I thought my 5-6 suggestions in that order were pretty good.

But if the team doesn't go 9-1 in the first 10 games with a new manager/GM when they are fired tonight or after the Boston series, you have to try to get rid of all that salary dead weight.

You say nobody wants Rios/Peavy/Dunn, etc. Well why the f*** did the Sox want them?

Somebody might want them. You have to dump the salary and take your lumps with the lousy minor leaguers in their place.

greg, anybody could've had Peavy or Rios two years ago. KW didn't do anything special. Jerry opened up the wallet, they had some money coming off the books, and they took on the salary. We didn't get Peavy because the Padres were so enamored with the s*** package we traded them. They wanted to dump the salary. What makes you think ANY team would want him now? Through the combination of chronic injuries and poor performance? Same with Rios. Toronto couldn't stand him and they wanted to dump the salary. And do you really think anybody wants Dunn right now at $14 million a year for the next three years after this one?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)

You gain nothing by trading them at their absolute lowest value. In order to create roster space for a rebuild, you've got to move the current players off the roster. To do that, you either have to trade them, which, considering their performance, will require eating huge amounts of salary over the course of at least the next TWO to THREE years, or DFA them. But you also have to actuallly have something to rebuild with. And we have very little with which to do that with, and you certainly aren't going to get much back in any deal for Dunn/Rios/Peavy right now. You may be able to get something for Jackson/Danks/Konerko. But certainly not enough to achieve anything more than what we are now.

The only thing you can do is try to maximize the value of the assets you do have, which right now, is probably Floyd/Danks/Beckham/Ramirez/Thornton/Santos/Sale/Konerko/Viciedo. Those are the guys that have some value. And considering the guys you're probably going to be stuck paying, i.e. Rios/Peavy/Dunn, it makes more sense to hope for some sort of turnaround over the course of the next few years rather than pay all their salaries anyways and not even have them on the roster.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2011 -> 07:28 PM)
Huh? No. You don't trade youth for youth (though Ramirez is not young), but he plays a premium position and is pretty damn good. What do you think a rebuild is?

It depends on what kind of package you get in return, but, Ok, so maybe you deal Quentin, Floyd or Crain instaed. The point is, you have to give up somethting to get something.

New definition of misery index: combined daily stats of Pierre, Dunn, and Rios. Today, 2 for 12 = .167. Yesterday, 3 for 20 = .150

looking forward to Ozzie's tirade after game today....

The problem with firing everybody after this game is there's no plan in place for the future.

The current team has a batch of slow ballplayers and underachievers (for this season at least).

The minor league system has nothing except Tank.

The team's only hope still is the starting pitching and Danks now looks like s*** as well as Jackson.

Suddenly, the White Sox managing/GM job doesn't look like a good one.

So short story = We´re FU****!!

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 29, 2011 -> 01:26 PM)
Who could possibly be comfortable waiting for Kenny Williams make deals?

We've already got Tyler Flowers, Kyle Cofield, Mark Teahen and Jeff Marquez?

How much more can you expect one guy to do?

Sign Manny again when suspension expires.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 29, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
At least Harrell saved the pen.

Boston has a DH on the road and hopefully this first game goes a good 15 innings.

The tribe are coming down to earth and the Sox have played 5 more games then them so who knows....why do I even care.

This is the problem. So many think "it's early."

Unlike the White Flag deal, it's time to deal.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ May 29, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
It depends on what kind of package you get in return, but, Ok, so maybe you deal Quentin, Floyd or Crain instaed. The point is, you have to give up somethting to get something.

Pretty much. Or pray that a Rios can turn it around at some point. But even then, he's proven to be so inconsistent and makes too much money. Then you've obviously got Danks and Jackson. The latter who will be much harder to move because he's up after this year. s*** is not looking good right now around these parts. I can honestly say that other than the Astros, no team looks to have a worse future from this point on than the White Sox do. And this didn't have to be this way. That's what's so frustrating.