Sox Draft OF Keenyn Walker with #47

Eminor3rd

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
Devon White works for the White Sox organization as a minor league base running instructor.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
I will say, regardless of my actual feelings for the pick, that he better develop defensively. Naturally, the predictions/projections to players come from coaches within the system, but White was a .263/.319/.419/.739 and 98 OPS+ player. B-R has him at 4 years with a WAR at or above 5, which makes him among the best players in the league that year. That was, for the most part, predicated upon the fact that he played a great CF and was average to good offensively.

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 06:14 AM)
Didn't Devon White kick our asses in the '93 ALCS?

Yes. Thankfully, I was not on the '93 White Sox, or my 6 year old ass would have been in extreme pain.

(think I was a Twins fan at that point still)

If it makes you feel better, he killed the Phillies too to a lesser extent.

'93 ALCS - .444/.464/.667/1.131

'93 WS - .292/.393/.708/1.101

Had 28 PAs in both

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)
I didn't follow farms and prospects back then like I do now. And even if I had I was too drunk off the World Series kool-aid. I remember you saying that the putrid drafting for so many years straight would come back to bite us in the ass at some point. And you were undoubtedly right.

I've followed it since 2004, and I still agreed with Tizzle as far as the Latin scouting.. didn't agree with the prospects as much however until now. (though I still feel the sox developing of pitchers is heavily under-looked here, not the hitters)

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 12:39 AM)
Well, the article also compared him to Carlos Beltran... so there's THAT... lol

I could compare J4L to Carlos Beltran too. He's almost certainly somewhat athletic, since he's black; considering the depth to which he follows White Sox baseball (and baseball alone), I'm sure he's played the game and is better than the average person; I'm sure he's hit a ball 350 feet in the air (hell, I've hit a couple), so he's got power; I bet he runs pretty quickly too.

Did I cover enough of the comparisons, or is our very own J4L a legitimate White Sox prospect too?

On second thought, don't answer that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 03:47 AM)
I could compare J4L to Carlos Beltran too. He's almost certainly somewhat athletic, since he's black; considering the depth to which he follows White Sox baseball (and baseball alone), I'm sure he's played the game and is better than the average person; I'm sure he's hit a ball 350 feet in the air (hell, I've hit a couple), so he's got power; I bet he runs pretty quickly too.

Did I cover enough of the comparisons, or is our very own J4L a legitimate White Sox prospect too?

On second thought, don't answer that.

What about his arm? Does J4L get good reads off the bat in the of? These are answers I must have.

Man....I love Devon White. I'm born and raised in Toronto and was a little kid when the Jays were killing it in the early 90's. Devo was an amazing CF. I remember in little league trying to perfect the bucket catch like he would always do.

As for Walker, Sickels has really helped me accept the pick.

Sickels love affair with Walker continues. Asked who he would have drafted with the Rays' picks, he chose Keenyn Walker with the 38th overall pick in the draft.

He also drafted Erik Johnson with the 42nd overall pick.

He must have really liked our draft.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/6/16/2...draft#storyjump

Edited by Pale Sox

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 12:19 AM)

Wonder what people here would have thought of us getting Martin. Would probably still hate the pick. But now that he is w/ Tampa, they would probably say it would have been an awesome pick.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised Walker has not signed already as I would have thought the scouting staff would have known what the asking price is and what they were getting into with negotiations. With that, in case it happens, do teams get draft picks the following year as compensation if supplemental picks do not sign?

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 07:51 AM)
I'm surprised Walker has not signed already as I would have thought the scouting staff would have known what the asking price is and what they were getting into with negotiations. With that, in case it happens, do teams get draft picks the following year as compensation if supplemental picks do not sign?

NO.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)

Knowing the asking price isn't always the deal. Sometimes guys genuinely want to take a bit of time off, especially right out of college after a full college season. Sometimes guys' agents want to take time to press the team just a little more.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)
Knowing the asking price isn't always the deal. Sometimes guys genuinely want to take a bit of time off, especially right out of college after a full college season. Sometimes guys' agents want to take time to press the team just a little more.

Walker has been playing in the Alaskan Baseball League. It's one of the better summer college leagues, but it's no Cape Cod. Hitting .222/.364/.222 in 5 games. Anchorage Glacier Pilots stats

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
Walker has been playing in the Alaskan Baseball League. It's one of the better summer college leagues, but it's no Cape Cod. Hitting .222/.364/.222 in 5 games. Anchorage Glacier Pilots stats

As long as he is playing, and we get him signed by the deadline, I am happy. I just don't want him sitting around for two months.