Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
You mean like telling people they shouldn't care at all about the favorite players on their favorite team, even after 11 years?

you really are a republican. :lol:

let's get back to baseball, though, k?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
Thank you. I can't believe people expected him to come out in 2011 and be back to full strength. This is the pattern with major surgeries for pitchers... he was injured in 2010, gone. 2011 was his rebuilding year, so he was inconsistent and struggled. It is that 2nd year after when pitchers tend to really get back closer to normal. That would be 2012 for Peavy.

Of course it may not happen at all. But history says 2012 has a decent chance of being a decent year for Peavy.

He'll probably be hurt before the end of May. If not, hopefully he's his old self and we can trade him for a nice prospect.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
He'll probably be hurt before the end of May. If not, hopefully he's his old self and we can trade him for a nice prospect.

He'd have to be 13-1 with a 2.45 ERA or something of that ilk for a team to even consider him. And even then that's a huge stretch. Even at half a season, he'd still be owed roughly $12 million or so (that includes the $4 million dollar buyout).

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
your business is trolling a message board? ugh. I'm sorry for the life choices that brought you to this point. alright, you win.

87k posts and it took you that long!?!?

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)
You mean like telling people they shouldn't care at all about the favorite players on their favorite team, even after 11 years?

Way to change the statement. Of course you can care about the players. You shouldn't condemn them for doing something good for their careers.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
No words for this... my second favorite player ever (Frank of course is the first) and now he's gone. This was KW's doing here. Mark should have retired here. We all knew this was going to happen, but it really is a kick in the balls to officially see it. Gonna miss my favorite sox pitcher ever and a guy who has battled adversity all his career as a no name/stuff/chance 38th round pick.

Phil Rogers' column says it all. This is on Kenny for bringing in stiffs Rios, Dunn and the injured Peavy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
Phil Rogers' column says it all. This is on Kenny for bringing in stiffs Rios, Dunn and the injured Peavy.

Yes, that damn Kenny, he should have known that Dunn would have the worst year of his career and that Peavy's shoulder would randomly explode.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
He'd have to be 13-1 with a 2.45 ERA or something of that ilk for a team to even consider him. And even then that's a huge stretch. Even at half a season, he'd still be owed roughly $12 million or so (that includes the $4 million dollar buyout).

If the sox have to chip in a good chunk of his contract to move him, they should do do as long as they save something.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)
If the sox have to chip in a good chunk of his contract to move him, they should do do as long as they save something.

Obviously this depends on the state of the team at that point. Obviously if someone is willing to take Jake, it means he's been pitching well. If he's been pitching well, that means the team might be winning. If the team is winning, it may not make sense to trade Jake just to save $5-6 million.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
Obviously this depends on the state of the team at that point. Obviously if someone is willing to take Jake, it means he's been pitching well. If he's been pitching well, that means the team might be winning. If the team is winning, it may not make sense to trade Jake just to save $5-6 million.

If somehow the team is actually winning then Peavy could be holdable, since his contract ends. Dunn and Rios need to be moved of at all possible even if te team is winning.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 03:50 PM)
If somehow the team is actually winning then Peavy could be holdable, since his contract ends. Dunn and Rios need to be moved of at all possible even if te team is winning.

Really? I'm not so quick to give up on Dunn...I know, we've had this argument before. But I think he'll bounce back and be just fine.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 06:30 PM)
Really? I'm not so quick to give up on Dunn...I know, we've had this argument before. But I think he'll bounce back and be just fine.

At the very least, it doesn't make sense to trade him when his value is literally the lowest it could possibly ever be. I don't know if he'll bounce back, but you'd gave to give up him AND a bag of balls AND a suitcase full of cash just to get a PTBNL, so you just ride it out.

EDIT: I guess his value would be lower if he was dead, so maybe not literally. But close.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)

I disagree. I don't think the Sox would give him a 4 year deal especially at that kind of money, at his age even without the other contracts. I wouldn't.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 07:49 PM)
I disagree. I don't think the Sox would give him a 4 year deal especially at that kind of money, at his age even without the other contracts. I wouldn't.

I tend to agree with you. But it may well have limited their ability to discuss contract extensions previous to free agency which could have wrapped him up at a more manageable salary.

In the end, it's on KW for creating a team situation which requires a rebuild, no matter what aspect of the team you blame most. The GM ultimately has the most control over a team's destiny, aside from the players themselves. That said, my complaints are retrospective. I have no problem with the club's decision not to retain Buehrle at that rate, I just wish it wasn't so because I heart him.