2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 12:11 AM)
Oh I agree. Just saying. They got a big road win against a very good Denver team last night and pretty much obliterated the Thunder tonight. If Paul can stay on the court from this point on, they're the best team, IMO, in that division with upside.

Donald Sterling still owns them though, he'll find a way to f*** it up in the long run.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 12:40 AM)
Apparently so, since most of those dunks were from the 90's, it just seems like a very stuck up mindset. There has been plenty of amazing dunks since then.

I don't see anything special in that barkley dunk, since he didn't even dunk on anyone. The Kemp and Dr J dunk might have an argument. But I really think the Jordan dunk is more of a historically symbolism dunk (Jordan over Ewing), and a honor for him being the GOAT. Take out the names in that play, and there were quite a few facial dunks like that just from the past decade.

But I haven't never seen a more powerful and athletic dunk, ever, like the dunk tonight. Not only did he dunk on Perkins, he took off from a long distance, jumped so high his head was above the rim, and his arm was fully extended, and threw down a thunderous dunk. the contortion of o his legs just made it more aesthetically pleasing.

If you don't think this dunk can touch any of those dunk, you need to stop living in another era.

The lead up to MJ's dunk is what makes it so amazing, he beats a double team, a double team trap in the corner and serves up a vicious facial to Ewing, he beats 4 different players on that dunk...Griffin's dunk is nowhere that impressive IMO.

Ewing>>>>>Perkins

:notworthy

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 10:34 AM)
The lead up to MJ's dunk is what makes it so amazing, he beats a double team, a double team trap in the corner and serves up a vicious facial to Ewing, he beats 4 different players on that dunk...Griffin's dunk is nowhere that impressive IMO.

Ewing>>>>>Perkins

:notworthy

Ewing is a large man who jumped to contest a dunk.

Perkins is a large man who jumped to contest a dunk.

0 difference/skill involved there

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
Ricky Rubio currently leads the NBA in assists. I believe CP3 did this as a rookie... did anyone else achieve said feat?

Incredible.

Rubio is tied with Paul for third in assists behind Nash and Rondo. I know Paul led the league in '08 when he was robbed of the MVP. Nash led the league every year from '04 to '07 I believe.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)
Rubio is third in assists behind Nash and Rondo. I know Paul led the league in '08 when he was robbed of the MVP. Nash led the league every year from '04 to '07 I believe.

You are looking at averages. In total assists...

1. Rubio - 186

2. Nash - 179

3. Calderon - 177

4. Parker - 172

5. Deron - 170

Obviously Rondo's been banged up and he ain't playin' for awhile. Nash's old ass is missing games here and there as well. The incredible thing to think of is the fact that Rubio was being dicked for starters' minutes the first few weeks of the season. The dude is a gifted distributor.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
You are looking at averages. In total assists...

1. Rubio - 186

2. Nash - 179

3. Calderon - 177

4. Parker - 172

5. Deron - 170

Obviously Rondo's been banged up and he ain't playin' for awhile. Nash's old ass is missing games here and there as well. The incredible thing to think of is the fact that Rubio was being dicked for starters' minutes the first few weeks of the season. The dude is a gifted distributor.

Blah. You should've specified.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 12:58 AM)
Not VC over Alonzo or Weis?

If that was in an actual NBA game, that would be the best dunk ever.. by far. I still think it is, even considering just straight up dunks. Dr. J had a real good one as well.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
"Leading the league in assists" is pretty clear.

No. You should've said leading the league in total assists. If the season ended today, Nash would be the assist champ. Rodman won one of his rebounding titles despite Jayson Williams pulling down more total boards.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 06:38 AM)
You know Quinarvy is only like 18 right

19, but thank you.

I never saw these dunks in the moment.

Barkley goes coast to coast and hangs on a rim.

Kemp served up the nastiest facial ever.

VC just climbed mountain tops and his dunks are notes in other people's careers.

Pippen served up a waaaaay nastier facial. Didn't need arm in face to do it.

Jordan beat like 101 traps to serve up his.

Nique beats a trap and jumps backwards to do a two handed slam.

Dr. J rocking the baby just added flair.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
If that was in an actual NBA game, that would be the best dunk ever.. by far. I still think it is, even considering just straight up dunks. Dr. J had a real good one as well.

If that was an NBA game, there would be no debate.

Rubio also leads the league in steals. Er, sorry, TOTAL steals.

He's going to demolish the franchise record for steals and might set the franchise record for assists too. As a rookie.

He's pretty good, I guess.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)

He's going to demolish the franchise record for steals and might set the franchise record for assists too. As a rookie.

Gonna be a nice little race between Rubio/Irving for ROY. Haven't had one of those in a while.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
Gonna be a nice little race between Rubio/Irving for ROY. Haven't had one of those in a while.

Don't call that one too early. I believe Wall got off to a pretty solid start last year but his numbers backtracked some while Griffin got better. Brandon Jennings was scoring 22 a game in November 09 and finished the season scoring 15.5.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)

He only gets assists cause of Love and he can't shoot.

Give me Irving.

MAXIMUM TROLLING

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
Don't call that one too early. I believe Wall got off to a pretty solid start last year but his numbers backtracked some while Griffin got better. Brandon Jennings was scoring 22 a game in November 09 and finished the season scoring 15.5.

There's only 40-somethin' games left. I'd say those two have clearly established themselves as the top rookies. Not sure who else will legitimately enter the equation between now and the end of the season. This isn't a particularly strong class.

Edit: Jesus, I didn't realize Erving was shooting almost 52% from the field and over 40% from deep. That's f***in' impressive for anybody, let alone for a rookie with, what, 10 games of college experience?

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
There's only 40-somethin' games left. I'd say those two have clearly established themselves as the top rookies. Not sure who else will legitimately enter the equation between now and the end of the season. This isn't a particularly strong class.

Mirotic, when he comes over early after Boozer punches the floor.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
Ewing is a large man who jumped to contest a dunk.

Perkins is a large man who jumped to contest a dunk.

0 difference/skill involved there

Like I point out earlier, the Jordan over Ewing dunk was more about the names and historical symbolism more so than the dunk itself. It was a great dunk because he dunked on Ewing, not so no name scrub. Let's say if JR Smith does the same dunk over Perkins, it wouldn't be remembered after a few years.

In my opinion, the best dunks should a dunk that would be recognized and remembered even though it was done by some no name players, not because it's a signature moment for certain players. Even if it was Javale McGee who did the dunk on Perkins last night, it will be remembered as one of the nastiest dunks ever.

The Baron Davis on Kirilenko dunk five years ago was one of the nastiest little man in game dunk ever, yet people seemed to have forgotten about it because guys like him fades over time.

I believe Lob City is expecting plenty of dunks this year and therefore they amplified the speakers around the rims for louder sound effects. There is no way this dunk by Durant would be this loud.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs