Sox sign Kosuke Fukudome

southsider2k5

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (almagest @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
He was bad in Cleveland, but if he can get on base with us like he did with the Cubs, this is a good move for some bench depth. If he's playing every day, it means one of De Aza/Viciedo/Rios has been awful, which means we're probably terrible anyways.

If he can get on base like he did with the Cubs (.370+ OBP) he should probably be starting, certainly a fixture in the lineup against righties.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
Just watched Moneyball this weekend......

I keep thinking of KW sitting in a room acting like Beane coming up with this crazy a@@ signing....

I don't know if this is crazy, but it definitely reminded me of that movie. An older player with good on-base skills that signs for cheap. You have to love this move, even if it will have a marginal impact.

I think everyone knows he's good enough to start on a roster this bad.

But 2012 will grant Viciedo and De Aza a ton plate appearances. Regardless of performance, frankly. The platoon with Rios makes sense, even though Alex getting on track also would be a greater victory for the organization, for the hopes of getting out of the later years' $$ with a trade.

I think it's a no-risk move, and there's possible upside. For starters, the White Sox have 3 projected OF starters who each bring a level of uncertainty - Rios is coming off a horrendous season, De Aza is 27 (or so) years old and unproven for a pro-longed MLB opportunity and Viceido, although with upside, is a very young player. It's possible that all 3 have productive seasons, but it's also possible, maybe likely, that at least one struggles.

Fukadome is a good defensive OF so, at worst, he's a competent late inning defensive player, and a another left handed bat who has the ability to get on base. He will probably be used early on more just because of trying to find the most favorable matchups, but this move also gives Lillibridge a greater opportunity to play some IF, and possibly take over at 2B if Beckham doesn't get the job done.

For anyone complaining...just repeat after me...

500 thousand

500 thousand

500 thousand

The Sox have players making WAY more that haven't earned a penny of it. (OK, maybe a penny)

This is a low risk, whatever reward you can get out of him move. It's not exciting...but it's not bad.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
For anyone complaining...just repeat after me...

500 thousand

500 thousand

500 thousand

The Sox have players making WAY more that haven't earned a penny of it. (OK, maybe a penny)

This is a low risk, whatever reward you can get out of him move. It's not exciting...but it's not bad.

I thought it was a million?

Also, Fukudome has something to play for. Play well enough to justify and make the White Sox pick up the option. Not likely, but you never know.

He just completed a nice contract. Let us hope that he is a greedy guy who wants to play until he is 40.

And could he possibly help recruit players in the future from Japan?

And responding to the above quote. It is 500K this year, and he is guaranteed another 500K In 2013 b/c there is a $3.5M club option with a 500K buyout. Thus, we would have to spend another $3M if we wanted to have him back in 2013. Under our control at least through 2013 which is good too.

Edited by sunofgold

Insurance for all 3 outfielders.

Allows Lillibridge to spend a little more time practicing at all three infield positions.

Experienced LH bat and walk machine off the bench.

Paying him less than the likes of Castro, Vizquel and Linebrink (not to pitch for us last year).

Decent to good glove, certainly a replacement for Dayan in late innings of close games.

Hard to see any reason to complain here.

For some reason, I was expecting Magglio Ordonez (just to spite Ozzie), but we needed a LH bat more.

Edited by caulfield12

I read in another article that Fukudome has a helicopter swing and will spin around 360 degree sometimes when he strikeouts. Well, I don't remember that but heck at least he will look interesting when he strike out.

And yeah I forgot how good his numbers are in April. Wonder why his numbers consistent go down after that. Does he just tire out too quickly. Maybe he needs better conditioning. Or maybe Herm can help.

Usually in April players are pretty much healthy and then have to play out the season with dings and nicks and small injuries here and there. Maybe that is what is happening with Fuku. I don't know. Just speculating. Or just hoping.

493120.jpg

Edited by sunofgold

Isn't Lillibridge a much better outfielder than infielder?

My hope is Ventura sits Rios the first time Alex loafs and then platoons him with Fuko. I think Lilly could have filled whatever role Fuko has on the club this year.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 09:27 PM)

My hope is Ventura sits Rios the first time Alex loafs and then platoons him with Fuko. I think Lilly could have filled whatever role Fuko has on the club this year.

I don't know. Lillibridge did look decent in the OF last year, especially some nice catches in Yankees Stadium to help us win a game there. However, he also looked pretty good as first.

Lillibridge's role might be defined by whether Escobar or Johnson makes the team. Dunn is going to play some OF, I am not sure about first base. I think that I could live with Lillibridge playing some 2B. Obviously he isn't as good as Beckham defensively there. Not sure about Lillibridge at SS or 3B however.

Fukudome definitely is a better OF than Lillibridge. He also bats left-handed which Lillibridge doesn't. Fukudome has a higher OBP while Lillibridge has showed a lot of power. Fuku can play CF however I think that he is better as a corner OF.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 07:37 PM)
Hearing this news is like having a really bad, unsatisfying masturbatory session which immediately turns to regret.

I'm by no means inferring a world series win but many people said we where destined for failure in the 2005 off-season. I won't have faith in this team until I see results, but I won't totally bar them from potential either.

Let's just put it this way... hope is pretty thin these days in White Sox Fandom.

So now that we have a lefty bat off the bench, please, PLEASE keep Dan Johnson off the big league roster. The guy hasn't performed like a major leaguer in the past three season. And having him might cost a spot for a reliever or even Lillibomb.

Our starting lineup might not be good, but a bench of Kosuke, Lillibridge, Flowers and Ozzie Martinez provides great flexibility and good offense off the bench

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
I don't know. Lillibridge did look decent in the OF last year, especially some nice catches in Yankees Stadium to help us win a game there. However, he also looked pretty good as first.

Lillibridge's role might be defined by whether Escobar or Johnson makes the team. Dunn is going to play some OF, I am not sure about first base. I think that I could live with Lillibridge playing some 2B. Obviously he isn't as good as Beckham defensively there. Not sure about Lillibridge at SS or 3B however.

Fukudome definitely is a better OF than Lillibridge. He also bats left-handed which Lillibridge doesn't. Fukudome has a higher OBP while Lillibridge has showed a lot of power. Fuku can play CF however I think that he is better as a corner OF.

No freaking way, bro.

Sox fans need to seriously start worrying about a 48 year old Ichiro and Torii Hunter on wheels rolling around in the outfield soon. I know Manny got to take an iPod with him while on "defense"- would canes and respirators be permissible?

I'm sorry for using Manny as an example again, but he was able to relieve himself inside the Green Monster while a pitcher was being relieved on the mound. Catheters just seem like they would be more convenient and would allow the outfielders to study whoever was in the on-deck circle like a hawk would study it's opposition (smaller-sized mammals). Bonus- opposing hitters would have to get used to being surrounded by four hawks. The fourth has an ideal vantage point perched directly behind home plate enabling him to assist the umpiring crew with any trouble they may have in making a correct decision.

Bonus 2 - game worn jerseys are big business for memorabilia stores , but game used collection bags would be sought after with a furor that is typically reserved for the festively plump at a lunch buffet that closes in 45 seconds.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 09:27 PM)

Rios did hit like absolute crap against righties last season (.204 vs. R compared to .287 against L).

So that would make a lot of sense.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 04:37 AM)
Hearing this news is like having a really bad, unsatisfying masturbatory session which immediately turns to regret.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 05:11 AM)
I feel like every time I am done masturbating I get hit with a wave of shame and regret. I feel like I just burned down an animal rescue shelter.

Are you guys joking? Or really discussing this in this manner?