The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
Thing about Ozzie is, I can't think of any other manager/coach willing to comment on any of these issues in any sport. Can you?

No, and I would prefer it that way. I don't want my favorite team's manager or coach or anybody in the organization talking about politics whether I agree with the general sentiment or not. I don't give a f*** how they feel about Obama or health care or Castro or abortion or the death penalty or the speed limit. I do care how they are going to make the team better.

Ozzie Guillen is a total assclown who is constantly getting in his own way. I couldn't be happier that he's in Miami right now.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 06:34 PM)
Poor Greg.

That's a lot to process, then to fight back against and defend.

Really wonder how Cowley can spin it to his editor. His limited brain must be turning somersaults trying to do the mental gymnastics of spinning this one in a positive light. Hopefully Cowley's g/f isn't Cuban-American or he'll have a hard time explaining himself. Nice to see him squirming a bit.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 12:40 AM)
No more Greg775 or Marty34 on this topic?

Hmmm...I know Greg usually posts late at night or after games.

Didn't you see my long take? I don't think it's a fireable offense. I don't even know why he should be suspended?

He needs to go read a long statement and apologize in the statement for being Ozzie and promising to be more sensitive the rest of his career. He has to stress he does not like what Castro is about and merely state that he poorly worded his "respect" for Castro for merely surviving all this time.

Oz may be making a mistake by coming back to town to face the inquisitors. How is that going to help? In these situations (where there are news reporters not the jolly sports reporters) you need to make statements not take questions. The audience is not a friendly one.

If Oz takes questions he's a fool.

Cause the questions are all going to be from news reporters about Castro and politics.

He must read a very very long statement, apologize and be done with it. No questions.

I still love Oz.

He blew it though. He's in a new town, new job and should realize they have no real history with him (they didnt care about him when he was a coach there). If he gets fired he has nobody to blame but himself. He needed to wait a bit before being Ozz in Miami.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 12:08 AM)
With that I do agree tho, WTF is doing on the Sox commercial? LOL this is stupid. He's getting in shape so he can make better moves during the trade deadline?

LINK.

Yeah, why the hell is he in a Nike commercial lifting weights? It's just weird...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 01:36 AM)
Didn't you see my long take? I don't think it's a fireable offense. I don't even know why he should be suspended?

He needs to go read a long statement and apologize in the statement for being Ozzie and promising to be more sensitive the rest of his career. He has to stress he does not like what Castro is about and merely state that he poorly worded his "respect" for Castro for merely surviving all this time.

Oz may be making a mistake by coming back to town to face the inquisitors. How is that going to help? In these situations (where there are news reporters not the jolly sports reporters) you need to make statements not take questions. The audience is not a friendly one.

If Oz takes questions he's a fool.

Cause the questions are all going to be from news reporters about Castro and politics.

He must read a very very long statement, apologize and be done with it. No questions.

I still love Oz.

He blew it though. He's in a new town, new job and should realize they have no real history with him (they didnt care about him when he was a coach there). If he gets fired he has nobody to blame but himself. He needed to wait a bit before being Ozz in Miami.

There's going to be questions and if he doesn't answer them, then it's going to seem like he's just reading off a script, which wouldn't seem sincere at all.

He'd be digging himself a deeper hole by not answering questions. Anybody can read off a notecard, regardless of how they feel.

Edited by chw42

The Marlins called a news conference -- which will be streamed live on MLB.com and marlins.com -- for 10:30 a.m. ET at Marlins Park on Tuesday.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2012...s-little-havana

So now comes the damage control. Guillen already has had a few days to work on his apologies since he first read the to-be-published comments last Friday. He has been as contrite as anyone could be. I have no doubt he will be sincere at his news conference Tuesday morning. He cares about people and knows he has hurt a lot of them.

Of course, there's also that four-year, $10 million contract he wants to keep. This was apparent last week when he dodged a question about the sore-thumb home run sculpture in the new park. "Mr. Loria (Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria) made it? (It's) beautiful," he said. He was smiling but he wasn't joking.

So what's next? Will the Marlins do the right thing and suspend him? When this blows over, will Guillen stop doing so many interviews? Will he stop popping off about topics he knows nothing about?

I hope not. He would not be Ozzie Guillen if he didn't make ridiculous comments. I don't believe he meant any harm with this one. He was just trying a little harder than usual to be say something outrageous.

Heck, you even could say he was just doing his job. The Marlins wanted him to generate headlines. Well, that's what he's done, just more stupidly than usual.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2012...a#ixzz1rckbXpgs

Edited by caulfield12

cst_Cowley ‏ @cst_Cowley Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

@BradT313 Nestor Molina 0-1 with a 4.50 ERA in Class AA so far ... thanks for playing.

Take a pot shot at KW even though Sergio Santos has two blown saves, Santiago's 2/2 and Molina has one start under his belt

14h cst_Cowley ‏ @cst_Cowley Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

I wonder what Robin will say about Cuba this afternoon ... ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ... it's human valium.

Blame Ventura for being really boring, not exciting like Ozzie and Joe-Hineybird's Co(u)wsin

... but the fact you people can't quit Ozzie Guillen. Embrace it Chicago, you miss the circus!

No, you miss the circus, that's the only reason you still have a job, trying to create one.

You know what's amazing? The first week of Chicago baseball, the most talked about thing is not the Sox bullpen, not the Cubs rotation...

16h cst_Cowley ‏ @cst_Cowley Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Bill Maher's comments about 9-11 were 100 times worse, and ol' Bill recovered just fine.

Make irrelevant comparisons with political commentators outside the world of sports (no Rush Limbaugh?) that attempt to make Ozzie look "not so bad" in comparison

16h DKnobler ‏ @DKnobler Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

I tend to agree more with @cst_Cowley, who points out that speaking out stupidly is supposed to be a problem in Castro's Cuba, not here.

Retweeted by cst_Cowley

@Doug_SoxPack So were the eight years of Ozzie worth a World Series trophy?

In reply to Doug Gross

Loria wanted an over-the-top ballpark and an over-the-top manager that captures headlines. Check and check. All press is good press, caveat emptor, blame it on Loria and KW.

@Ricky11Slade It sure is..... put some sun block on and have fun with that.

In reply to Tim Boyd

@Kaufmak Please don't do the, "Well, if I did that on my job.... '' The pro sports world is not even close to a normal job.

In reply to Kaufmak

And memo to Cuban protesters: You will be protesting free speech, the very thing you did not have in Cuba. Think about it.

Check, check and check: Turn the tables on the protesters and try to make them out to be the bad guys, blame the victim(s) Boy oh boy, Marge Schott and Al Campanis were sure entertaining!

Edited by caulfield12

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ozzie-guillen...DFuu8xAziY5nYcB

Tim Brown, yahoosports

..Miami Marlins, Ozzie Guillen can't afford to alienate Cubans with U.S.-Havana bridge on horizon

.By Eric Adelson

..PostsEmailRSS..By Eric Adelson | Yahoo! Sports – 4 hours ago

The stakes must be pretty high for the Miami Marlins to fly manager Ozzie Guillen back from the road Tuesday to make amends for his appalling praise of Fidel Castro.

But we may not know the half of it.

Of course Miami is heavily populated by Cuban-Americans, with nearly half the U.S. population of Cuban-Americans living in Miami-Dade County. But there's another pool of potential baseball fans – and players – that needs to be considered here.

The Cubans themselves.

That's because it's quite possible that in the lifetime of the new Marlins Park, relations between the U.S. and Cuba will normalize, opening the gates for baseball players and fans to freely travel from Havana to Florida and points north.

Think it's speculative silliness? Don't be so sure. Only a year ago, the White House took "a series of steps to continue efforts to reach out to the Cuban people in support of their desire to freely determine their country's future," steps that included the modification of regulations on "purposeful travel." As ForeignPolicy.com declared, "Whether the Castros admit it or not, Cuba is moving in a direction that fulfills U.S. hopes for a more market-oriented, open society on the island."

Normalization would not be an easy transition by any means – Castro's son, Raul, is entrenched in power – but it's a process that might pick up steam after Fidel, now 85, dies. And it surely would affect everything in Miami.

"It's gonna happen sooner than later," says historian Rob Ruck of the University of Pittsburgh, who wrote "Raceball: How the Major Leagues Colonized the Black and Latin Game." "There has been a liberalization of the dynamics between Cuba and Cuban-Americans in Florida that has reached a tipping point. And what happens when Cuban ballplayers can come into the U.S. without having to go into exile? That's going to happen, too."

So the Marlins might not only be protecting the fan base (and talent base) they see every day but also untold future followers who have no idea what Ozzie Guillen said in Time magazine about the Cuban revolutionary leader.

The Marlins declined to comment for this story, but it's clear by the strong rebuke of their new manager that they realize the value of the Cuban-American community. Over the offseason, team president David Samson made a run at the "Cuban Missile," rookie slugger Yoenis Cespedes, vowing to be "aggressive right to the point of stupidity." Oakland signed Cespedes, but the impact of having a Cuban émigré on the roster is going to be hard to overstate if and when the gateway to the south opens up. Ruck imagines someone like Cespedes as a "Hank Greenberg/Sandy Koufax in a city of Jews."

Are there more like Cespedes just waiting to be discovered? Hard to tell. The talent pool has been closed off since Castro took power in 1961 and made professional baseball illegal. A few stars have escaped – most prominently Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez and his half-brother Livan, who both pitched for teams that won World Series – but nearly all the Cuban refugees we've seen in the majors arrived toward the end of their careers. The rare younger defectors, including Cespedes, the Los Angeles Angels' Kendrys Morales, and Cincinnati Reds pitcher Aroldis Chapman, who famously threw the fastest pitch in recorded MLB history at 105 mph, were overpowering almost as soon as they put on an MLB uniform. No, not all Cuban players made an impact – and as Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Passan wrote in 2010, the politics and bureaucracy involved in bringing Cuban players to MLB already is numbing – but with a nation that's bigger in size and population than the Dominican Republic, the Marlins can't afford to create the impression of a hostile environment.

In a 2008 piece for Vanity Fair, Michael Lewis wrote, "There may be no entrapped pool of human talent left on earth with the dollar value of Cuban baseball players." Lewis quotes a scout who says compared to the heralded Dominicans, "The Cubans are better." That's a bold statement, considering it's hard to find too many top teams in the big leagues without a Dominican star. But Lewis has some evidence:

"Back in the old days, before Cuba was closed for business, it supplied more players to the major leagues than all the other Latin-American countries combined. In 1961, Cuba entered its first post-revolutionary baseball teams in international competitions and proceeded to beat the hell out of everyone, including the Dominicans. For a 10-year stretch, starting in 1987, the Cubans were 129–0 in major international competitions."

Yes, the fall of the Soviet Empire (Cuba's main trading partner) brought severe poverty and isolation to the island. But the tradition is firmly entrenched. "Beside politics," said Arturo Mercano Guevara, an expert on baseball in Latin America, "the only thing [the Cubans] talk about is baseball. The stadiums were packed completely."

The adoration for the sport goes all the way back to the mid-1800s, and arguably has grown over the Castro years, as bullfighting and boxing faded somewhat. (The Dodgers once trained in Havana.) So it's hard to believe a détente with Cuba wouldn't have a ripple effect on MLB – specifically, the Marlins.

Granted, the development of the Cuban middle class will take many years, but in the middle of the last century, Cubans came to Miami for weekend shopping trips. If fans fly from Tokyo to see Ichiro, they'll fly a half-hour to see the Marlins – especially if one or a few of their own are playing.

"If the [Castro] regime collapses and a new kind of government takes over, which is what we all would want, of course it would have an impact," said Roberto Gonzalez-Echeverida, a Yale professor who wrote a book about baseball in Cuba. "I think Miami and Havana would become the ends of a bridge, connecting the two cities."

Gonzalez-Echeverida thinks the Marlins have work to do. "The Marlins are not reaching out to the Hispanic community," he told Yahoo! Sports well before this latest fiasco. The acquisition of Dominican star Jose Reyes and the continued presence of Hanley Ramirez surely helps, but Guillen's comments likely undid a lot of that – especially in the Cuban-American community.

And that community, though already booming, may be only a hint of what's to come.

"These forces [of modernization] are pretty darn strong," Ruck said. "I don't think it benefits anybody to maintain these barriers. Cuba is no threat to the United States. It's an anachronism."

So it behooves fans and onlookers alike to keep that in mind as the Guillen saga unfolds. If and when the "anachronism" is righted, the meaning of baseball in Miami might change at warp speed.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 08:43 PM)
Ozzie is a big mouth and an idiot for not thinking about the possible repercussions of his statement in Miami, but....deep breath...I agree with what he said and think the reactions are pretty over the top.

Yes, Castro has been an oppressive dictator for some time but we helped set the tone for him to come to power. A LOT of the anti-Castro vitriol out of Miami is spewed by bitter dissidents who were robbing Cuba blind for years with the help of an equally oppressive thief of a dictator, Fulgencio Bautista. The Cuban lobby act out of Miami is beyond old. Many of these same folks calling for Guillen's head are the same ones who wanted Elian Gonzalez to remain separated from his father. They were also instrumental in helping Jeb steal the 2000 election for Dubyah. In some ways they are no more in favor of a free democratic society than Castro.

They spent 60 years trying to assassinate Castro and strengthened his anti-American resolve in the process. He dodged every bullet along the way and continued to thumb his nose at us across 90 short miles of water. I do not agree with Castro's politics or human rights record, but Ozzie is not out of line to say that his survival in such adversity is worthy of some level of respect.

With all of that said, I still wonder how the hell Ozzie could say anything positive about Castro while working for a major Miami sports franchise. Just plain dumb!

this is all good, but the Marlins manager can't really get into these subtleties.

Mike Imrem from the Daily Herald beat Joe Cowley to the punch...amazing how all these local/regional/national columnists are NOW saying they wish they would have done something more substantive to confront Ozzie

We up here are as responsible as Ozzie Guillen is for the controversy he created in South Florida.

People in Chicago let Ozzie be Ozzie for too long.

Guillen never realized enough how blessed he was to be embraced, protected and defended the way he was here. If he had, he would have compromised and still been White Sox manager.

People here, Sox fans and others, considered Guillen one of their very own and let him get away with feeling he was on the right side of any line.

Guillen was our mischievous little child, the one who keeps putting his hand in the cookie jar and experiencing only a hand slap as punishment.

Ozzie made a homophobic remark here? Ozzie launched F-bombs in front of people who didn’t want to hear them? Ozzie defied authority, logic and social decorum?

Oh, that’s just Ozzie being Ozzie.

During Guillen’s eight seasons as White Sox manager, he was empowered to be a crass cartoon character.

Sox fans empowered him, even before Guillen managed the Sox to a World Series title. The media did, mostly because Guillen was such refreshing copy. Jerry Reinsdorf did, maybe because Guillen was his late-life walk on the wild side.

I can’t tell you how many times I wanted to tell Ozzie Guillen how wrong he was, that he should clean up his act, that as the face of the franchise he made Sox management, the city and himself look trashy.

But I never did. I went along, as Reinsdorf did, as too many Sox fans did, as too many in the media did, as Kenny Williams grudgingly did.

Guillen has made a mess of his debut as Miami Marlins manager, insulting Cuban Americans by saying to Time magazine, “I love Fidel Castro.”

Thank goodness we didn’t have to apologize for Guillen had he blurted, while he was manager of the White Sox, something like, he loves Hitler or Osama bin Laden is a martyr.

The Marlins currently are on the road, but Guillen is expected to return to Miami on Tuesday to issue an in-person apology for his insensitivity. Maybe that’s an indication he gets the difference between here and there, because I don’t recall him ever apologizing for anything while in Chicago.

Orlando Sentinel columnist George Diaz was born in Cuba and wrote over the weekend, “I don’t know if (an apology) will be enough. It won’t be enough because people like me will never forget the courage it took for my parents to leave all of their possessions behind and catch a flight out of Cuba with their three children in 1961.”

The thing Guillen didn’t understand was that Ozzie couldn’t be Ozzie in Miami the way he was in Chicago, not any more than, say, Mike Ditka could be Iron Mike in New Orleans.Guillen didn’t grow up as a sports figure down there like he did up here, so the act won’t play nearly as well and the jokes won’t be nearly as funny.

Down there now the call is for the Marlins to fire Guillen, and he doesn’t have supporters like he nearly always had here.

Edited by caulfield12

Over the offseason, team president David Samson made a run at the "Cuban Missile," rookie slugger Yoenis Cespedes, vowing to be "aggressive right to the point of stupidity."

I'm more upset that they're trying to steal Alexi's nickname than anything else in that story.

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 07:46 AM)
Over the offseason, team president David Samson made a run at the "Cuban Missile," rookie slugger Yoenis Cespedes, vowing to be "aggressive right to the point of stupidity."

I'm more upset that they're trying to steal Alexi's nickname than anything else in that story.

:gosoxretro:

We should also be upset Dayan "The Cuban Tank" Viciedo wasn't included in that story.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 12:23 AM)
Well put. Castro is responsible for some terrible atrocities but this whole episode stinks of manufactured outrage.

In any other city I'd agree. The Cuban Expat community though has a huge amount of built up hatred for Castro and everything remotely related to him...and you can't exactly say it's unjustified.

And that community is exactly who the Marlins are trying to market to as their new base. Even if this is just reporters and politicians trying to build themselves up by tearing Ozzie down...Ozzie gave them the opening.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 04:26 AM)

@BradT313 Nestor Molina 0-1 with a 4.50 ERA in Class AA so far ... thanks for playing.

Take a pot shot at KW even though Sergio Santos has two blown saves, Santiago's 2/2 and Molina has one start under his belt

I wonder what Robin will say about Cuba this afternoon ... ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ... it's human valium.

Blame Ventura for being really boring, not exciting like Ozzie and Joe-Hineybird's Co(u)wsin

... but the fact you people can't quit Ozzie Guillen. Embrace it Chicago, you miss the circus!

No, you miss the circus, that's the only reason you still have a job, trying to create one.

You know what's amazing? The first week of Chicago baseball, the most talked about thing is not the Sox bullpen, not the Cubs rotation...

Bill Maher's comments about 9-11 were 100 times worse, and ol' Bill recovered just fine.

Make irrelevant comparisons with political commentators outside the world of sports (no Rush Limbaugh?) that attempt to make Ozzie look "not so bad" in comparison

16h DKnobler ‏ @DKnobler Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

I tend to agree more with @cst_Cowley, who points out that speaking out stupidly is supposed to be a problem in Castro's Cuba, not here.

Retweeted by cst_Cowley

@Doug_SoxPack So were the eight years of Ozzie worth a World Series trophy?

In reply to Doug Gross

Loria wanted an over-the-top ballpark and an over-the-top manager that captures headlines. Check and check. All press is good press, caveat emptor, blame it on Loria and KW.

@Ricky11Slade It sure is..... put some sun block on and have fun with that.

In reply to Tim Boyd

@Kaufmak Please don't do the, "Well, if I did that on my job.... '' The pro sports world is not even close to a normal job.

In reply to Kaufmak

And memo to Cuban protesters: You will be protesting free speech, the very thing you did not have in Cuba. Think about it.

Check, check and check: Turn the tables on the protesters and try to make them out to be the bad guys, blame the victim(s) Boy oh boy, Marge Schott and Al Campanis were sure entertaining!

can this be posted in the "why we hate cowley" thread - wherever that was that Marty was being Marty?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
In any other city I'd agree. The Cuban Expat community though has a huge amount of built up hatred for Castro and everything remotely related to him...and you can't exactly say it's unjustified.

And that community is exactly who the Marlins are trying to market to as their new base. Even if this is just reporters and politicians trying to build themselves up by tearing Ozzie down...Ozzie gave them the opening.

It's certainly not unexpected.

By the way, I think the same thing every time someone cites free speech to defend something stupid someone says on the radio...

Ozzie Guillen has free speech just like the protestors do. Neither of them will go to jail because they criticized a leader. However, people also have every right to judge a person based on the things they say, and they have a right to judge an employer based on what the people they employ say. Citing free speech to say that people shouldn't protest someone else's speech is an embarrassing misunderstanding of the issue and reflects very poorly on the person who says that.

This case, might well be even worse than the usual one...because the taxpayers of Florida paid for that shiny new ballpark.

The recent early March Fidel Castro comments were actually made at the Roger Dean Stadium Complex in Jupiter.

Would it have made any difference if they were made there (I know it's home to two teams, like our agreement in Glendale) at Marlins Park, which is 80-85% publicly funded?

I would be really curious to see his contract, and see what loopholes or leeway there is for the Marlins to get away with terminating him for cause...they had to have put some extra safeguards in place, knowing Ozzie's history of inflammatory comments, one would think.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
The recent early March Fidel Castro comments were actually made at the Roger Dean Stadium Complex in Jupiter.

Would it have made any difference if they were made there (I know it's home to two teams, like our agreement in Glendale) at Marlins Park, which is 80-85% publicly funded?

I would be really curious to see his contract, and see what loopholes or leeway there is for the Marlins to get away with terminating him for cause...they had to have put some extra safeguards in place, knowing Ozzie's history of inflammatory comments, one would think.

No and I have no idea why you'd think where he said them was important.

@ChiSoxFanDan Does he throw a couple back .... shoot, that's two innings of work for the Hawk.

In reply to ChiSoxFanDan

@ChiSoxFanDan All the Sox beat writers can vouch that Oz often had his family with him at the team hotel after games, and didn't get drunk.

In reply to ChiSoxFanDan

Another good read about Guillen - http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-04-0...e-guillen-exile

@AmyKNelson Are they hot ... or is that me being insensitive?

In reply to Amy K. Nelson

@Doug_SoxPack Yes, God forbid a league that has promoted drug use, racism, cheating and infidelity now takes a moral stand and fires him.

In reply to Doug Gross

@keithmdurkin Yeah, and if 60 percent of the 37,000 that fill that place were Cuban, it would be a concern.

In reply to Keith Durkin

@HCKY117 Brah, tell me about your time under a dictatorship ... would love to hear about it....

In reply to Rick Carlson

@keithmdurkin Jeff Loria isn't paying millions over the next four years to fire Ozzie.

In reply to Keith Durkin

@JDH_2009 I'm covering everything.

In reply to Josh Henderson

@barnettmgmt He is a Hall of Famer with 2 straight wins.

In reply to David Barnett

@HCKY117 That's why this is a great country. Was better when we could all make fun of each other without crying, but still great.

In reply to Rick Carlson

@HCKY117 I don't have anything in common with people that think animals are more important than people, but I can comment on them.

In reply to Rick Carlson

@JDH_2009 Throws strikes, he can be really good. But can the arm hold up as a starter? That's the question.

.... BUT I HAVE A DAMN JOB AND A LIFE ... so I can't. But let my tax money go to those that can jump on the bus and hold up signs..... Better watch it with that comment COWLEY, you're getting very close to an OZZIE moment

As far as Guillen and the Marlins being protested all season long ... well, there are issues in the US I would like to go out and protest ..

@JDH_2009 That's scary, but thank you.

@JDH_2009 That's because Ozzie is - and always will be a national story.

Josh Henderson ‏ @JDH_2009 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

@cst_Cowley I hate to admit it, but you were right about Chicago will never free of Ozzie. Everyone is talking about it, over Evan the cubs

Retweeted by cst_Cowley

from Auburn, IN

And I'm also calling for Castro to apologize to his people for years of being a tyrant.

Also, any political aspirations Guillen has for the future could have taken a hit. Mine, however, are alive and well. Cowley for President!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 07:38 AM)
No and I have no idea why you'd think where he said them was important.

Just wondering if there's any distinction or differentation between free speech rights on public versus private property...?

For example, in recent months, students have been expelled for posting things online while at home...because they were using the school's internet or IP address/account for posting.

But the argument was made that since they weren't at school, they shouldn't suffer the same consequences....and also that it was after official school hours.

Well, I guess it really doesn't matter.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)

@ChiSoxFanDan Does he throw a couple back .... shoot, that's two innings of work for the Hawk.

In reply to ChiSoxFanDan

@ChiSoxFanDan All the Sox beat writers can vouch that Oz often had his family with him at the team hotel after games, and didn't get drunk.

In reply to ChiSoxFanDan

Another good read about Guillen - http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-04-0...e-guillen-exile

@AmyKNelson Are they hot ... or is that me being insensitive?

In reply to Amy K. Nelson

@Doug_SoxPack Yes, God forbid a league that has promoted drug use, racism, cheating and infidelity now takes a moral stand and fires him.

In reply to Doug Gross

@keithmdurkin Yeah, and if 60 percent of the 37,000 that fill that place were Cuban, it would be a concern.

In reply to Keith Durkin

@HCKY117 Brah, tell me about your time under a dictatorship ... would love to hear about it....

In reply to Rick Carlson

@keithmdurkin Jeff Loria isn't paying millions over the next four years to fire Ozzie.

In reply to Keith Durkin

@JDH_2009 I'm covering everything.

@barnettmgmt He is a Hall of Famer with 2 straight wins.

In reply to David Barnett

@HCKY117 That's why this is a great country. Was better when we could all make fun of each other without crying, but still great.

In reply to Rick Carlson

@HCKY117 I don't have anything in common with people that think animals are more important than people, but I can comment on them.

In reply to Rick Carlson

@JDH_2009 Throws strikes, he can be really good. But can the arm hold up as a starter? That's the question.

.... BUT I HAVE A DAMN JOB AND A LIFE ... so I can't. But let my tax money go to those that can jump on the bus and hold up signs..... Better watch it with that comment COWLEY, you're getting very close to an OZZIE moment

As far as Guillen and the Marlins being protested all season long ... well, there are issues in the US I would like to go out and protest ..

@JDH_2009 That's scary, but thank you.

@JDH_2009 That's because Ozzie is - and always will be a national story.

Josh Henderson ‏ @JDH_2009 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

@cst_Cowley I hate to admit it, but you were right about Chicago will never free of Ozzie. Everyone is talking about it, over Evan the cubs

Retweeted by cst_Cowley

from Auburn, IN

And I'm also calling for Castro to apologize to his people for years of being a tyrant.

Also, any political aspirations Guillen has for the future could have taken a hit. Mine, however, are alive and well. Cowley for President!

God is he pathetic. He really can't break away from his master, can he?