AND THAT'S A PERFECT GAME WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

SoxFan1

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
That would be a very good headline for the Trib or Sun-Times. Too bad it was on the road.

i named one of my fantasy teams that. my idea. i came up with it first. so shut up. :(

:P

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
J4L should write an apology letter to Phil Humber.

Oh yes.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
That was awesome. I was scared to post in the game thread.

Ryan's a b**** for trying to draw a walk in that situation. Swing the bat, dickhead.

That's the reason I don't feel bad that they called him out.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
And wow, the MLB.com headline is "Unbelieva-Phil." Really? Over "Humbelievable?"

LOL! WHO CARES!

PERFECT GAME!

What kind of a headline is Unbeliva-Phil?

I remember being pissed off last year that Humber was starting the first game I attended of the season. As the year went on, I wasn't too happy that the great season Humber was in the midst of was being wasted by poor performances by Dunn and Rios among others. Coming into this season, I forgot Humber was part of the rotation. I respectfully apologize to Philip.

Mark Buehrle's perfect game

Buehrle was assisted by a dramatic ninth-inning wall-climbing catch by center fielder DeWayne Wise to rob Gabe Kapler of a home run; Wise entered the game as a defensive replacement in that inning. This was the first major league perfect game in which the pitcher and catcher were battery-mates for the first time; Ramón Castro had been acquired by the White Sox less than two months before.[41] This was also the first perfect game to feature a grand slam, by Josh Fields in the bottom of the second inning. Umpire Eric Cooper, who called the game, was behind the plate for Buehrle's previous no-hitter, as well.[42] On July 28, Buehrle followed up with another 5⅔ innings of perfection to set the major league record for consecutive batters retired at 45 (including the final batter he faced in his last appearance before the perfect game).[43]

Perfect games lost to the 27th batter

On June 27, 1958, Billy Pierce of the Chicago White Sox gave up a double, which landed just inches in fair territory, on his first pitch to Senators pinch hitter Ed Fitz Gerald.[63]

On April 15, 1983, Milt Wilcox of the Tigers surrendered a pinch-hit single to the White Sox' Jerry Hairston, Sr.[65]

Then you have the infamous Armando Galarraga/Jim Joyce incident.

Halladay and Dallas Braden were the two to do it since Mark.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
That would be a very good headline for the Trib or Sun-Times. Too bad it was on the road.

It honestly sucks Hawk was not calling this. I got crazy goosebumps during Buerhles perfect game but this one I only had mini goosebumps haha still unbelievable.

I'm just so incredibly happy right now! It's closing up on 1am and I'm going try and get some sleep, fat chance. Philip Humber is my new hero, this is just amazing!!!

I started to get nervous already in 5th and pretty much completely stopped caring about the Sox offense. I'm surprised my heart didn't collapse from this!

:gosox4:

The fact that this was a pitcher we signed off waivers...this is a guy several teams had given up on...his career was nearly over...just unbelievable story.

Thanks MLB for allowing Fox to blackout this game, despite the fact that I pay $200 to watch my favorite team.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
J4L should write an apology letter to Phil Humber.

I got multiple PMs hinting at the same thing. If anything, I owe the White Sox an apology. The one thing they seem to be really good is taking previous trash from other teams and molding it into something useful. I didn't see a single second of this game. But I heard about it from friends, etc. Congrats to Phil. It was never personal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
ESPN Stats & Info ‏ @ESPNStatsInfo

Humber had the 2nd fewest wins (11) and starts (29) before throwing a perfect game - Charlie Robertson in 1922 was 4th start and 2nd win.

Also a CWS pitcher.

June 5, 2001: Drafted by the New York Yankees in the 29th round of the 2001 amateur draft, but did not sign.

June 7, 2004: Drafted by the New York Mets in the 1st round (3rd pick) of the 2004 amateur draft. Player signed January 11, 2005.

February 2, 2008: Traded by the New York Mets with Deolis Guerra (minors), Carlos Gomez and Kevin Mulvey to the Minnesota Twins for Johan Santana.

October 6, 2009: Granted Free Agency.

December 11, 2009: Signed as a Free Agent with the Kansas City Royals.

December 17, 2010: Selected off waivers by the Oakland Athletics from the Kansas City Royals.

January 18, 2011: Selected off waivers by the Chicago White Sox from the Oakland Athletics.