Aj voted most hated player in MLB

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)
Caroll's value is inflated by his UZR, so you'll have to take his WAR with a grain of salt. But speaking of the other guys you listed, none of them have played all that well this year...

Catcher WAR values aren't involved with UZR unless they play a non-C position as well.

understood and I agree those guys haven't played all that great this year (compared to their career averages at least) but still no way carroll should be ahead of any of those guys. and beckham with a UZR below 0? no way beckham has played a below average defensive second base this year.

Obviously, this is a discussion for another thread, but I always take sabermetrics with a grain of salt.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
understood and I agree those guys haven't played all that great this year (compared to their career averages at least) but still no way carroll should be ahead of any of those guys. and beckham with a UZR below 0? no way beckham has played a below average defensive second base this year.

Obviously, this is a discussion for another thread, but I always take sabermetrics with a grain of salt.

1/3 of a season's worth of UZR should always be taken with a grain of salt.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
Was this poll taken after Oz's comments about Castro?

Then it's poorly timed.

So normally, Ozzie wouldn't have been last?

I think he has been for pretty much 3 or 4 years running now.

On the other hand, there's been at least one or two polls that ALSO had him as one of the most popular managers to play for, but he's always had many detractors as well among MLB players.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)

Then it's poorly timed.

I'm sorry, we'll find a more preferable time for people to suffer a jackass, like when he saves a flock of kittens from a burning building, for players to respect him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)

Then it's poorly timed.

The Marlins Foundation donated more than $150,000 to three local charities over the weekend, and the ballclub says another round of significant gifts is in store once the team decides how to best use the salary manager Ozzie Guillen lost during his five-game suspension.

Before Friday’s game against the Astros, the Marlins presented a check for $50,000 to Shake-A-Leg Miami, a watersports facility for children with physical, developmental and economic challenges.

A day later, they gave $100,000 to the Miracle League of Miami-Dade for the construction of a park. The Marlins Foundation also donated $4,200 to the Jackie Robinson Foundation on Sunday, 65 years to the day after Robinson broke baseball’s color barrier.

These donations were in the works before Guillen’s now-infamous remarks praising Fidel Castro. Guillen later apologized for the comments, and was suspended for five games by the organization.

Marlins president David Samson said last week the team will donate Guillen’s salary for those games to a yet-to-be named human rights charity.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/17/2752...tes-150000.html

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 04:44 AM)
I'm sorry, we'll find a more preferable time for people to suffer a jackass, like when he saves a flock of kittens from a burning building, for players to respect him.

Proof that he is a good manager to play for.

Mark Buehrle.

I rest my case, your honors.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 12:58 AM)
Proof that he is a good manager to play for.

Mark Buehrle.

I rest my case, your honors.

Proof that he is a bad manager to play for.

Paul Konerko.

I rest my case, your honor.

This clearly was a well thought out argument.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)

Then it's poorly timed.

One of the reasons Ozzie is the least respected manager is because he always manages to make an ass of himself and consequently embarrass the team for which he manages. His comments about Castro (along with the many other insensitive stuff he's said over the years) shows that he can't keep his damn mouth shut and tends to speak without thinking. Even if he hadn't uttered the Casto comments, he still would have been towards the bottom of this list.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 07:43 AM)
$58 million and he still begged for the Sox to make him a contract offer said differently.

For $58 million, I'd put up with Ozzie...with a big smile on my face. Oh, and the weather wouldn't hurt, either.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
For $58 million, I'd put up with Ozzie...with a big smile on my face. Oh, and the weather wouldn't hurt, either.

The Marlins already cost him his consecutive string of interleague victories at 11.

Wonder if he wishes he was back in 1st place and home in Chicago?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
The Marlins already cost him his consecutive string of interleague victories at 11.

Wonder if he wishes he was back in 1st place and home in Chicago?

I'm starting to wish we used some of the John Danks extension money towards him and then traded Danks for other pieces. But hindsight is 20/20

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 12:27 AM)

Then it's poorly timed.

If the only fair time to take this poll is when Ozzie has not recently said something stupid, then there is no fair time to take this poll.