Dempster to Rangers

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
I understand if it's difficult for you to comprehend.

LMAO. You're the only one comprehending your ideas. I'm going with the assumption you're just not being serious, because why would you go after Pierre, a banjo hitter who can't play LF when, as you have pointed out, slugging OFs are very easy to find.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
I am really starting to think farm systems are predicated on one or two players and are a good amount of PR by teams.

The Sox have had several nice drafts since Buddy Bell came onboard. And it generally only takes 3-4 years to completely rebuild a system from scratch. But old reputations die hard.

Plus, it 'hurt' our farm system rankings to have players like Beckham, Sale, and Daniel Hudson move through the system so quickly. Funny to look at that way, but it's true.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
The Sox have had several nice drafts since Buddy Bell came onboard. And it generally only takes 3-4 years to completely rebuild a system from scratch. But old reputations die hard.

Plus, it 'hurt' our farm system rankings to have players like Beckham, Sale, and Daniel Hudson move through the system so quickly. Funny to look at that way, but it's true.

While I completely agree with you, I think what the writers/critics are aiming for is a system that is producing starting position players, quality starting pitchers, etc. And not bench guys, 0 WAR 2B, backup catchers and bullpen arms. If the Sox had drafted and developed the guys like Floyd, Danks, De Aza, etc - sure, but the Sox plucked them from other systems.

And even so, the guys that have come up recently (other than Chris Sale) are either middle relivers or backups (Jones, Reed, Danks, Flowers, Escobar, etc)

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
Steve Stone was on mully and Hanley this morning, said we are not looking at greinke, he's a small market pitcher

I'm assuming he means there's a small market for him due to the cost? Otherwise...well, otherwise it makes no sense.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:47 PM)
I'm assuming he means there's a small market for him due to the cost? Otherwise...well, otherwise it makes no sense.

seriously, not sure what that means.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)

I assume he meant that Greinke is a small market pitcher due to this anxierty disorder. He can't mentally handle pitching in a big market with the added pressure. (Not that anyone goes to Sox games anyway)

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
I think what the writers/critics are aiming for is a system that is producing starting position players, quality starting pitchers, etc.

Which is the baseball equivalent of searching for Bigfoot. There are a few reported sightings, but not much evidence otherwise.

Almost all major league rosters are made up of players other teams drafted.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
The rate them by perspective "star" players. However we've apparently found value in contributing depth players with possibly some stars coming in a few years. Not the 30th ranked system.

Who is worse? And almost every org is producing depth players, and almost every org has the same amount, if not more, of high ceiling star potential players. Just because a team calls up 7 pen arms doesn't mean you have a good system.

Let me know when the White Sox develop an impact bat, let alone have one in their system.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
Let me know when the White Sox develop an impact bat, let alone have one in their system.

Viciedo is a developed impact bat - it's his rookie season.

This was a position of weakness for sure - so they grabbed Hawkins and Barnum...

There could be an impact bat waiting in the lower wings now.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 03:49 PM)
I assume he meant that Greinke is a small market pitcher due to this anxierty disorder. He can't mentally handle pitching in a big market with the added pressure. (Not that anyone goes to Sox games anyway)

yep

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
Viciedo is a developed impact bat - it's his rookie season.

This was a position of weakness for sure - so they grabbed Hawkins and Barnum...

There could be an impact bat waiting in the lower wings now.

Re: Hawkins: We're talking about a month of pro-ball experience. I was thrilled that the White Sox went after the high risk - high ceiling player, they need way more of these types of guys. Hawkins is just way to far out to call him an impact bat at this point.

Viciedo has way too much swing and miss and few walks to put up with IMO. But that's a whole 'nother topic...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:49 PM)

Seems perfect for white sox.

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
And even so, the guys that have come up recently (other than Chris Sale) are either middle relivers or backups (Jones, Reed, Danks, Flowers, Escobar, etc)

Or our starting 2B, SS, LF, and Closer, or Hudson, Richard, Santos, and Gonzalez.

Unless you mean past two years only, in which case PLEASE find me a team that has produced an ace, closer, and more in the past two years.

this^

u.s. cellular:

"This is probably the one park I don't really like pitching in," Greinke said. "It's kind of dark in the stadium, it seems like. But today I pitched good, so I'll take it. But I have always had trouble here. I don't know what it is. It's just different."

and

The Yankees aren’t interested in Zack Greinke and don’t believe his personality would thrive in New York

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
Who is worse? And almost every org is producing depth players, and almost every org has the same amount, if not more, of high ceiling star potential players. Just because a team calls up 7 pen arms doesn't mean you have a good system.

Bingo. The Sox may utilize their farm system better than any other team, but in terms of projected position players or starting pitching in the next 2-3 years there's not much there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
The rate them by perspective "star" players. However we've apparently found value in contributing depth players with possibly some stars coming in a few years. Not the 30th ranked system.

The Sox's system is definitely weak at the top. I'd say Jared Mitchell and Simon Castro are the only two players we have that could be centerpieces of a major trade. Neither are elite prospects, but they are both top 100 talents IMO.

The other problem is our overall depth. We have a ton of players in our system that are pure filler. Take a look at our rosters and you'll see a ton of guys that are way too old for their respective leagues, especially on the position playing side.

However, I think we're fairly strong in the middle of our system, in particular I think we're above average in the 10 - 25 range. Also, we may not have any elite pitching prospects, but we have a ton of interesting arms in the system. These guys have value and can be used as secondary pieces in trades. So while we have a pretty weak system, we have more than enough talent to make some moves.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
The Sox's system is definitely weak at the top. I'd say Jared Mitchell and Simon Castro are the only two players we have that could be centerpieces of a major trade. Neither are elite prospects, but they are both top 100 talents IMO.

The other problem is our overall depth. We have a ton of players in our system that are pure filler. Take a look at our rosters and you'll see a ton of guys that are way too old for their respective leagues, especially on the position playing side.

However, I think we're fairly strong in the middle of our system, in particular I think we're above average in the 10 - 25 range. Also, we may not have any elite pitching prospects, but we have a ton of interesting arms in the system. These guys have value and can be used as secondary pieces in trades. So while we have a pretty weak system, we have more than enough talent to make some moves.

I've seen no indication that either guy would be ranked as a top 100 prospect. Might be a good question for the next hot sheet chat on BA.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)
I've seen no indication that either guy would be ranked as a top 100 prospect. Might be a good question for the next hot sheet chat on BA.

I was more stating my own opinion, but I'm fairly certain Jared Mitchell will be a Baseball America top 100 prospect. Castro has a chance too, as he was one prior to the 2011 season. However, I think his performance at AAA will ultimately determine if he makes the list.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
Or our starting 2B, SS, LF, and Closer, or Hudson, Richard, Santos, and Gonzalez.

Unless you mean past two years only, in which case PLEASE find me a team that has produced an ace, closer, and more in the past two years.

Again.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Hawkins is just way to far out to call him an impact bat at this point.

Yep, see the words "could" and "lower wings"

:unsure:

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Viciedo has way too much swing and miss and few walks to put up with IMO. But that's a whole 'nother topic...

I'll take all the swing and miss with few walks from a rookie on pace for 30HR and 85RBI.

He still even at this point has a TON of untaped potential.

I wanna keep tank, that's for sure.

Just me thou :P

If that's the case, then he's not going to command upwards of $20 million/year. Teams like Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, the Sox, etc. can't and/or won't pay that much. If he couldn't handle New York, Boston, or LA, he's going to be underpaid.