White Sox unlikely to pick up Peavy's option

justBLAZE

The main question with Youk is not his "loyalty" but rather whether he would give us a fair shot at signing him as a FA after we buy him out. I don't think he'll get nearly that much as a FA and I don't see any FA options coming soon. The main issue will be the years, I suppose, but I don't see anyone giving him many years either.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bringing Youk back for $13 million would be a huge mistake, IMO. He's hitting around .200 since the ASB. If you're going to invest that much in a 3rd baseman, it seems like you could use that money for a better player. I'm not sure who would be available in the offseason (trade market).

Sox may bring up Carlos Sanchez to play 3B or 2B, with Beckham at the other spot. I've been a believer that Gordon turned a corner offensively for a month or two now, and I think the Sox see it too. And Sanchez has some pretty good defensive reports on him for 2B and 3B, not to mention he'd be cheap.

Problem is two-fold. First, even though I think he is, it is possible this current Beckham may not be for real in the long run. Second, do you mess with him by putting him back at 3B again? Or do you play a non-power guy (at least at this point) in Sanchez at 3B? Both of those carry risk. But it does allow you financial flexibility for pitching and/or catcher.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)
Bringing Youk back for $13 million would be a huge mistake, IMO. He's hitting around .200 since the ASB. If you're going to invest that much in a 3rd baseman, it seems like you could use that money for a better player. I'm not sure who would be available in the offseason (trade market).

You make a great argument for letting him go. Bye bye Youk.

As far as Peavy, it's dangerous to let inning-eaters go. If he's healthy he's an inning eater. That'd be two years in a row with mark and now Jake. s*** maybe we should sign Guthrie?

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)

I'm not saying you're wrong, but quoting his BA at .200 is a horrible argument. At least use OPS, if not wOBA -- his homerun pace since he joined us has been something in the high-30's over a full season, and we know he walks a ton, which is tremendously valuable in front of Dunn/Konerko. His batting average is maybe tenth on the list of offensive numbers we should care about.

FWIW, I think we have to pick up Youk's option because there is simply no other way to get league average production at 3B. Take a look at the free agent crop -- it's abysmal. Peavy is an easier decline, IMO, because there are going to be way more ways to supplement the rotation than to supplement third base this offseason, especially considering that Headley has become so highly coveted.

They could always get Miami to help us buy back Buehrle with a subsidy and go to five lefties, just to shut Greg up, lol.

Then there's the Fathom option, Veal to the rotation. Actually, if Thornton could throw his two pitches consistently, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot as a starter, again, as that's what he wanted to do when we first brought him over for Borchard way back when, in 2006.

Axelrod, Rienzo, Castro, Molina and the usual list of suspects will figure in, but you'd have to believe they will either exercise the Floyd option to give them some more flexibility, bring back Liriano (or Peavy), both are 25% possibilities, or go after a second tier FA pitcher like an Anibal Sanchez that Cooper and the scouting staff have identified some positive upside with.

I was pulling for them to add Guthrie as another arm, and that would have saved us a ton of losses and given us the division single-handedly, but there's no way the White Sox (or probably the Royals as well) should overpay him now based on 2 months of season, when the Royals were already eliminated.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
They could always get Miami to help us buy back Buehrle with a subsidy and go to five lefties, just to shut Greg up, lol.

Then there's the Fathom option, Veal to the rotation. Actually, if Thornton could throw his two pitches consistently, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot as a starter, again, as that's what he wanted to do when we first brought him over for Borchard way back when, in 2006.

Axelrod, Rienzo, Castro, Molina and the usual list of suspects will figure in, but you'd have to believe they will either exercise the Floyd option to give them some more flexibility, bring back Liriano (or Peavy), both are 25% possibilities, or go after a second tier FA pitcher like an Anibal Sanchez that Cooper and the scouting staff have identified some positive upside with.

I was pulling for them to add Guthrie as another arm, and that would have saved us a ton of losses and given us the division single-handedly, but there's no way the White Sox (or probably the Royals as well) should overpay him now based on 2 months of season, when the Royals were already eliminated.

How often do ex Royals work out for this team?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)

Jesus, I didn't even bother reading anything after that.

First of all, he doesn't throw two pitches consistently. He's a high-heat, location lefty. When he's consistently putting pitches in the middle and outer half of the plate, he gets destroyed. When he's throwing well, he's essentially effectively wild, but he's not, because he has good command of the strike zone.

Second of all, he's going to be entering his age 36 season next year.

You've said goofy s***, but that one might take the cake.

Would love to bring him back a reasonable price.

Danks as a full time starter (not including this year due to injury) has an ERA+ of 115

Floyd is 107 since becoming a full time starter.

Hope that Sale and Q are for real.

L Sale

R Peavy

L Danks

R Floyd

L Quintana

That's something I think most of us would love to have.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
I just looked at Morel's 2012 minor league stats. Yikes. I was hoping that when his back felt better he could live up to the promise he showed in September of 2011.

I wonder if the Sox could get Chase Headley in the offseason and how much he would cost.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
Thats the intel I have. Something more realistic based on his performance with the Sox under the current deal. Laced with performance incentives and bonuses.

Any chance of a 2 year deal that kicks in based on performance? Maybe 2 years, 30 million or so? I don't trust Peavy on a multi-year deal, but I also don't know how they can compete next year without him. He's a legitimate #2 type starter in the AL if he's healthy.

If they can get Peavy at around $15 million for next season, I think they can make some other moves to balance out the payroll in the starting staff.

1) Sale

2) Peavy

3) Danks

4) Quintana

5) Santiago

- I think Gavin Floyd would have to be moved to clear more payroll. They won't get anything great back for him, but maybe a decent prospect.

- I doubt Liriano comes back next season, but if Peavy leaves, this increases as they need to fill out the rotation.

- I think Santiago (or someone else) needs to earn that 5th job from the minors and make it a low salary slot - he has shown enough for me to make him the leading candidate, and I actually like him better than Quintana.

- I love the idea of moving Quintana for another prospect. I don't think he'll continue his success, but making no money, I understand the thought process of keeping him around.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 08:12 PM)
Any chance of a 2 year deal that kicks in based on performance? Maybe 2 years, 30 million or so? I don't trust Peavy on a multi-year deal, but I also don't know how they can compete next year without him. He's a legitimate #2 type starter in the AL if he's healthy.

If they can get Peavy at around $15 million for next season, I think they can make some other moves to balance out the payroll in the starting staff.

1) Sale

2) Peavy

3) Danks

4) Quintana

5) Santiago

- I think Gavin Floyd would have to be moved to clear more payroll. They won't get anything great back for him, but maybe a decent prospect.

- I doubt Liriano comes back next season, but if Peavy leaves, this increases as they need to fill out the rotation.

- I think Santiago (or someone else) needs to earn that 5th job from the minors and make it a low salary slot - he has shown enough for me to make him the leading candidate, and I actually like him better than Quintana.

- I love the idea of moving Quintana for another prospect. I don't think he'll continue his success, but making no money, I understand the thought process of keeping him around.

Still over paying for reputation.