4 Sox players are on the trading block

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 01:55 AM)
Dan Hayes is reporting that Beckham, DeAza, Floyd and Viciedo might be traded this off season.

I think Beckham and De Aza stay, Floyd goes no matter what, and Viciedo only goes if we sign a stud OF and with Floyd in a mega trade.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
I think Beckham and De Aza stay, Floyd goes no matter what, and Viciedo only goes if we sign a stud OF and with Floyd in a mega trade.

You never know. Our new GM might just not like these guys. We don't really have a replacement for losing 2 outfielders, though. I'd rather have DeAza and Viciedo than some guys out there. Hope he makes smart trades. But our new GM might hate Viciedo type players for all we know (hack at everything). He might figure Beckham is a hopeless case, a .240ish type hitter and he might figure Floyd really has no significant upside anymore. And he might figure DeAza is just another guy who really does nothing spectacular, though he is solid. Interesting.

What surprises me the most is that Thornton isn't on that list.

Hahn appears to be determined to address the low OBP problem on this team. Beckham's sub .300, and Viciedo's even .300 OBP's may bother him, as much as it bothers some of us. I wouldn't be disappointed to see either of them go, if it meant replacing them with guys who can actually get on base, especially if they bat left handed.

I think that they really like Sanchez, and they may think that he's ready to take Beckham's place at 2B. Another possibility is Asdrubal Cabrera, who the Indians appear to be shopping:

I love de Aza, and have for a long time, but Hahn may think that Tekotte, the kid they picked up from San Diego, is ready to be given a shot at CF. He has a similar skill set as de Aza and also swings a left handed bat. He's probably a better centerfielder, and is 3 years younger. J. Danks is another option, and is still regarded as the best defensive outfielder in the organization. De Aza might be a valuable trading chip for a team desperatly looking for a lead off hitter who can steal bases.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 05:31 AM)
What surprises me the most is that Thornton isn't on that list.

Hahn appears to be determined to address the low OBP problem on this team. Beckham's sub .300, and Viciedo's even .300 OBP's may bother him, as much as it bothers some of us. I wouldn't be disappointed to see either of them go, if it meant replacing them with guys who can actually get on base, especially if they bat left handed.

I think that they really like Sanchez, and they may think that he's ready to take Beckham's place at 2B. Another possibility is Asdrubal Cabrera, who the Indians appear to be shopping:

I love de Aza, and have for a long time, but Hahn may think that Tekotte, the kid they picked up from San Diego, is ready to be given a shot at CF. He has a similar skill set as de Aza and also swings a left handed bat. He's probably a better centerfielder, and is 3 years younger. J. Danks is another option, and is still regarded as the best defensive outfielder in the organization. De Aza might be a valuable trading chip for a team desperatly looking for a lead off hitter who can steal bases.

If Hahn is thinking about dealing De Aza to open up a spot for a guy who was DFA'd by the Padres, they need to fire him before he does it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 06:35 AM)
If Hahn is thinking about dealing De Aza to open up a spot for a guy who was DFA'd by the Padres, they need to fire him before he does it.

Perhaps, but not if he intends to acquire a big left handed bat for LF. How would Hamilton look in this lineup vs RHP?

CF Tekotte or J. Danks (Defense and OBP are the top priority. If they can't provide that, find someone else)

2B Sanchez (Switch hitting, good bunter, speed, can take a walk)

LF Hamilton

1B Konerko

DH Dunn

RF Rios

SS Ramirez

3B ??? (hopefully another LH bat and, or solid defense)

C Flowers

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 06:19 AM)
Perhaps, but not if he intends to acquire a big left handed bat for LF. How would Hamilton look in this lineup vs RHP?

CF Tekotte or J. Danks (Defense and OBP are the top priority. If they can't provide that, find someone else)

2B Sanchez (Switch hitting, good bunter, speed, can take a walk)

LF Hamilton

1B Konerko

DH Dunn

RF Rios

SS Ramirez

3B ??? (hopefully another LH bat and, or solid defense)

C Flowers

Why trade De Aza? It isn't like he is making a a lot of money. Tekotte is a long shot at best to be on the roster. He couldn't stick with the Padres. Considering him as a leadoff possibility for the White Sox isn't realistic. If you notice, except for Floyd, none of the guys the Sox supposedly have thrown out there make much money. I don't know why trading guys who make no money opens the door for guys making more money than anyone in franchise history.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 07:28 AM)
Why trade De Aza? It isn't like he is making a a lot of money. Tekotte is a long shot at best to be on the roster. He couldn't stick with the Padres. Considering him as a leadoff possibility for the White Sox isn't realistic. If you notice, except for Floyd, none of the guys the Sox supposedly have thrown out there make much money. I don't know why trading guys who make no money opens the door for guys making more money than anyone in franchise history.

I think you're right. But, I can dream, can't I?

It would just be so nice to actually have a potent left handed bat, with a high OBP. Dunn in the middle of the order is just not good enough.

If he's still on the team, I hope that he bats somewhere lower than fifth.

Maybe they'll go after someone less expensive than Hamilton. I just saw how much he's asking for in free agency. Yikes!!!!

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 06:37 AM)

It would just be so nice to actually have a potent left handed bat, with a high OBP. Dunn in the middle of the order is just not good enough.

Maybe they'll go after someone less expensive than Hamilton. I just saw how much he's asking for in free agency. Yikes!!!!

I agree. As for Hamilton, he obviously is exactly what the Sox need in their line up, but because of the money, It's probably impossible to bring him in, and some team will probably get temporary insanity and give him close to what he is asking. I wonder if Hahn is making a play for Justin Upton.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 06:37 AM)

It's your dream to have Sanchez starting at 2B and a AAAA player starting and leading off in center? Those two black holes in the lineup would more than make up the difference between Hamilton and Viciedo.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
It's your dream to have Sanchez starting at 2B and a AAAA player starting and leading off in center? Those two black holes in the lineup would more than make up the difference between Hamilton and Viciedo.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Sanchez. He's very young, and is likely going to be at the top of the order soon. How fast? Who knows, but he's coming, and he is a prototypical # 2 hitter.

Walker is a third option in CF.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 07:28 AM)
I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Sanchez. He's very young, and is likely going to be at the top of the order soon. How fast? Who knows, but he's coming, and he is a prototypical # 2 hitter.

He is a prospect. nothing more

Im not being dismissive, it is what it is. There have been plenty of kids that have torn it up in double A and fallen flat on their faces at the major league level. There is no way im pencilling in Sanchez at the 2 spot because he is doing well in the AFL

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 07:28 AM)

He's not a very good fielder, he's fragile and he's not young. Obviously you don't move him without a replacement, but he's not very good either, to be honest.

I would be hesitant to give up De Aza's OBP on a team that sorely needs it, but the one thing none of us really knows is what the market is for specific players. If De Aza is in high demand to the point that he nets a good return, then the Sox have to consider moving him.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 07:28 AM)

Not this year he isn't. More like 2014 at best.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 05:35 AM)

They have three CF's on the 40 man roster now. It makes sense that they maybe seeing what they can get for De Aza.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 07:56 AM)
He's not a very good fielder, he's fragile and he's not young. Obviously you don't move him without a replacement, but he's not very good either, to be honest.

Wait... is this post about De Aza? Seriously? He's 28, just entering his peak years... he's got a number of Arb years left... he played a good (not great) CF, which is something hard to find, especially for the Sox... he put up a .349 OBP despite having some back issues near the end of the season... he's got speed... and he showed a little power, almost reaching double digits in HR. What else do you want from your CF?

The injuries are a concern, I don't disagree there. Other than that, I don't see anything that makes sense in your post.

Viciedo doesn't give you the automatic stud back simply because of his low OBP and his position on the field.

For example, you're very unlikely to get the equivalent of another Viciedo in the making at starting pitcher, catcher, SS or CF in exchange for him.

Beckham gets you very little to nothing back in return.

DeAza can't be traded unless you can find a better replacement defensively in CF.

But if you can package Floyd and any of those 3 together (or maybe 2 of those 3), for a 3 player for one trade, and get a young superstar, go for it.

The problem is the last time we made this type of trade was for Nick Swisher, which was a huge "swing and a miss" and is still having an adverse effect on the franchise, played out with the ups and downs of the Adam Dunn soap opera.

Hamilton's exactly the type of player the White Sox don't need because of the salary and downside risk (drug problem relapse and age/body wearing down).

An example would be, for instance, Adam Jones. However, Jones to me hasn't consistently proven he can put up superstar numbers quite yet, and he is getting expensive to the point where you would just hope for him to play up to his contract (similar to what we've seen with Dunn and Rios).

However, you trade for Adam Jones, you get younger and more athletic. The problem is that DeAza, Viciedo and Beckham are all 28 and younger too...so with that kind of move, you're 100% back in "win now" mode. Then you're really gambling on players like Rios, Dunn, Konerko and let's say Adam Jones not going off the "statistical cliff" again with so much pressure for them to perform as the replacements at 3B/LF/2B, etc., likely couldn't be "sure thing" type players, but our more typical "roll the dice and hope for the best" ones.

Edited by caulfield12