White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
I have no interest in taking shots at you. Even re-reading that after your disclaimer still makes me feel offended, but I'll take your word for the fact that you didn't intend it to be so. Please do me a favor and take my word for the fact that my response was the same. Clearly, we both felt offended and shot back at one another. I'm over it if you are.

Deal!

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:59 PM)
I don't know if overpaying is ever the best route to go. Certainly not now, when the marginal value of a win for us is still fairly low. We have seen overpaying on the trade market and it means a team with mostly veterans and large contracts with little flexibility, like right now. You need some young, cost-controlled talent to build a strong team. If we overpay on the trade market with what little we have in the farm system to fill 3B, we are just robbing from a different position and our already weak minor league system as a whole.

And therein lies the problem. The Sox, due to acquiring undervalued and overlooked players, avoided becoming the Houston Astros. However, Hahn has found himself in a stalemate because he's right up against the supposed budget, an aging roster, the ability to compete, the inability to put an elite product on the field,

At this point, I think it's pretty obvious Hannahan's offer is from the Sox. For what, I honestly don't care. I think he's brought in to be a bench player with the worst case scenario being a starting player.

However, the Sox interest in Mike Adams and Brandon McCarthy is what intrigues me the most. I think what Hahn realizes is that the offense itself is incredibly flawed and it's going to be difficult to fix in one offseason, and rather than try and fix it, he's going to compensate for it by improving the pitching staff tenfold.

(with regards to McCarthy...even with half of his starts occurring at O.co, his ERA over the last two seasons is 3.29 over 281.2 IP, and he lost a few starts due to EMERGENCY BRAIN SURGERY)

I think the idea is to ensure that the Sox have a top 3 pitching staff in the league, or close enough to talent wise, and to patch things together offensively. Deal Floyd for a couple of pieces the team believes can contribute in the future - possibly including Saltalamacchia - and reworking the pitching staff from there.

Just a wild idea.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 05:41 AM)
Question, if there is a new TV deal that's giving all these teams millions of dollars to play with this winter, how come our payroll is going to remain flat according to rumors?

I think we have more flexibility than has been reported.

The deal kicks in 2014. The Sox always say they are at their payroll limit. Sometimes it means Darrin Erstad leads off and plays CF. sometimes it means they are trading for Jake Peavy and claiming Alex Rios. Sometimes it means we get to watch Andy Gonzalez try to play baseball, sometimes it means signing Adam Dunn and bring back Paulie and AJ.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 05:47 AM)
The deal kicks in 2014. The Sox always say they are at their payroll limit. Sometimes it means Darrin Erstad leads off and plays CF. sometimes it means they are trading for Jake Peavy and claiming Alex Rios. Sometimes it means we get to watch Andy Gonzalez try to play baseball, sometimes it means signing Adam Dunn and bring back Paulie and AJ.

Oh ok, I didn't realize it didn't kick in until 2014. Sure seems like teams are already spending this money, given some of the contracts we're seeing this winter.

But you're right, the Sox always say they are up against the wall and oftentimes they magically find some money at the last second. There's nothing wrong with this approach, as telling other GMs your exact figure payroll would be plain stupid.

I do think we have some money to play with, especially if the pricing changes are expected to bring in more profits.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 06:25 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2732916:date=Dec 5, 2012 -> 05:47 AM:name=Dick Allen)-->
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 05:47 AM)
<!--quotec-->The deal kicks in 2014. The Sox always say they are at their payroll limit. Sometimes it means Darrin Erstad leads off and plays CF. sometimes it means they are trading for Jake Peavy and claiming Alex Rios. Sometimes it means we get to watch Andy Gonzalez try to play baseball, sometimes it means signing Adam Dunn and bring back Paulie and AJ.

Oh ok, I didn't realize it didn't kick in until 2014. Sure seems like teams are already spending this money, given some of the contracts we're seeing this winter.

But you're right, the Sox always say they are up against the wall and oftentimes they magically find some money at the last second. There's nothing wrong with this approach, as telling other GMs your exact figure payroll would be plain stupid.

I do think we have some money to play with, especially if the pricing changes are expected to bring in more profits.

A few teams have new local TV deals. It is the fuel behind the Rangers and Dodgers spending.

Does anyone know what the Padres plan on doing with Jedd Gyorko?

My Cubs fan friend said there were rumors of the Cubs going after him, offering Darwin Barney plus. If there is any truth to this rumor, I hope the Sox are out there offering Beckham & Rienzo. I know Gyorko is super unlikely, but I hope Hahn is looking at some other 3B prospects that are blocked at the major league level.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)
I assume the Sox aren't involved, but RA Dickey would be a great addition to the team. His acquisition would make me go insane with joy. And why the hell didn't we sign Soria??? A cheap 4 mill a year and just what we need. What's going on ?

I wouldn't touch him. Everything screams fluke in my head.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 07:38 AM)
I wouldn't touch him. Everything screams fluke in my head.

He is old, but Brian Kenny a huge saber guy now on MLB Network said Dickey has been the 11th best pitcher in baseball over the last 3 years. He has pitched over 600 innings and his ERA is under 3.00. Because he's a knuckleballer, everyone has a tough time valuing him. If he threw 95 and did what he's done, the Mets would get what they are asking for.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 07:48 AM)
He is old, but Brian Kenny a huge saber guy now on MLB Network said Dickey has been the 11th best pitcher in baseball over the last 3 years. He has pitched over 600 innings and his ERA is under 3.00. Because he's a knuckleballer, everyone has a tough time valuing him. If he threw 95 and did what he's done, the Mets would get what they are asking for.

No matter what, you have to imagine that you are buying at his absolute peak. He isn't going to get any better than he is now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 07:51 AM)
No matter what, you have to imagine that you are buying at his absolute peak. He isn't going to get any better than he is now.

Right, and you don't know how long he can continue, and there are other factors like can your catchers handle knuckleballs. He'd be easy to add to a team as a #5 guy, but his performance and price tag to acquire says ace, and I think teams have a really hard time evaluating knuckleballers, and would be very reluctant paying a huge price for a knuckleball throwing "ace".

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
Keppinger is a nice piece. If they want to give Morel a shot again, Keppinger takes the Lillibridge role but he could also replace Morel.

If Keppinger is brought in, he will take the role of Morel, and, if anything, Morel will take on the Lillibridge role.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 09:53 AM)
Not that strong

A bit of an understatement. Keppinger had a career year at age 32 with a BABIP well above his average. Chances he comes close to what he did offensively are slim. Likeliest scenario is an average bat who is a sieve in the field.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
A bit of an understatement. Keppinger had a career year at age 32 with a BABIP well above his average. Chances he comes close to what he did offensively are slim. Likeliest scenario is an average bat who is a sieve in the field.

I'd be wary as well, but just about every 3B left on the free agent market has some fairly significant flaws.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)

I think "not that strong" was in reference to his defense