2013-2014 NFL Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a pretty strong draft for TE. Much better than last year.

Yes it is.. We need a solid TE and a few OL.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs

Phil Emery says #Bears will meet with #ND LB Manti Te'o and "see where he is at on (girlfriend hoax)."

Edited by BlackJack

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
Saints are not franchising Jermon Bushrod, he will be a FA. I know the Bears don't have much cap space, but that would be a big upgrade at LT.

And Kromer built that kid up

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
Saints are not franchising Jermon Bushrod, he will be a FA. I know the Bears don't have much cap space, but that would be a big upgrade at LT.

Actually...if you believe the Pro Football Focus numbers that Emery cited when talking about the O-line...it would be a significant downgrade from Webb last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)
Actually...if you believe the Pro Football Focus numbers that Emery cited when talking about the O-line...it would be a significant downgrade from Webb last year.

Interesting. Would be a good reason for the Saints to let him walk.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
Interesting. Would be a good reason for the Saints to let him walk.

I've been saying for a couple years now that the Saints know how to make their guys look better. They give help on the corners, they are strong inside, their QB gets rid of the ball quickly, they run plays to keep the D-Line honest. They did everything they could to make a guy like Bushrod look good.

The Bears didn't do any of that last year...Webb had some bad games, like when the Bears said he was matched up 1 on 1 against Clay Matthews, but he also had games where guys like Jared Allen shut down.

He's sorta done what you'd expect so far, he's a 7th round pick thrust into a starting role. Started off terrible, has gradually moved up close to average. But...since he was terrible for 1+ years, most Bears fans still dislike him and he gets a ton of focus for the troubles of the rest of the O-line. On top of that, the Bears did everything they could to make him look bad...the LG next to him was cut in camp and replaced with a castaway (Rachal), and then the amount of help they gave him was ridiculously low.

He's not going to wind up in the HOF, but he's exceptionally cheap next year, and the Bears might have bigger needs elsewhere on the O-line. I wouldn't be stunned or angry if Management dropped him into a swing tackle role, but I also won't be surprised if he's the starting LT next year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)
Basically, he struggles in space (ie vs 3-4 defenders) but it's difficult to just go right through him or around him when lined up and in a 3-point

Furthermore, with that said, wouldn't using the backs in the passing game and an upgrade at TE really force the LBs to respect that aspect and thus take some heat off the line.

Without utilizing those 2 elements in the pass game near enough it allows more LBs to rush. If they put safties out on these guys it's gonna mean a lot of single coverage and with our 2 big physical WRs I'll take that all day.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
Furthermore, with that said, wouldn't using the backs in the passing game and an upgrade at TE really force the LBs to respect that aspect and thus take some heat off the line.

Without utilizing those 2 elements in the pass game near enough it allows more LBs to rush. If they put safties out on these guys it's gonna mean a lot of single coverage and with our 2 big physical WRs I'll take that all day.

Heck, doing everything they said they'd do last summer (quicker throws, not looking down the field on every play, regularly using a TE or RB to take a chip on the team's best pass rusher, occasionally rolling out the QB, designed screens just over the head of that rusher) would too.

The Bears said they were going to do things to help out the O-Line last year, and I believed them. Instead, game 2, Cutler's getting killed because they're determined he can hang in the pocket looking down the field. Augh! Right there was why the coaches were replaced.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)

Those guys are getting expensive in FA if they are slightly above average.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
I've been saying for a couple years now that the Saints know how to make their guys look better. They give help on the corners, they are strong inside, their QB gets rid of the ball quickly, they run plays to keep the D-Line honest. They did everything they could to make a guy like Bushrod look good.

The Bears didn't do any of that last year...Webb had some bad games, like when the Bears said he was matched up 1 on 1 against Clay Matthews, but he also had games where guys like Jared Allen shut down.

He's sorta done what you'd expect so far, he's a 7th round pick thrust into a starting role. Started off terrible, has gradually moved up close to average. But...since he was terrible for 1+ years, most Bears fans still dislike him and he gets a ton of focus for the troubles of the rest of the O-line. On top of that, the Bears did everything they could to make him look bad...the LG next to him was cut in camp and replaced with a castaway (Rachal), and then the amount of help they gave him was ridiculously low.

He's not going to wind up in the HOF, but he's exceptionally cheap next year, and the Bears might have bigger needs elsewhere on the O-line. I wouldn't be stunned or angry if Management dropped him into a swing tackle role, but I also won't be surprised if he's the starting LT next year.

Yep.

His reputation is mainly based on Aldon Smith and Jared Allen, guys he received no help against (Carimi too)

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 23, 2013 -> 11:30 PM)
Yep.

His reputation is mainly based on Aldon Smith and Jared Allen, guys he received no help against (Carimi too)

A lot of Aldon Smith came against Carimi too, which lost him his job. I may be mistaken about this though.

E: Didn't see the parenthesis.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Feb 24, 2013 -> 12:01 AM)
Jared Allen got blanked by Webb in 2 games this past year. Matthews has beat him but once again he received no help.

Of course, but most Bear fans don't notice that. You never notice that linemen are doing their job.