Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

Worth noting that according to Ptatc, Floyd's injury was more severe than the typical tommy john surgery so it's possible he won't be ready to begin throwing until the middle of the season next year.

That said, I'd agree there's a solid chance he resigns on a minor league deal and starts his rehab in Charlotte mid-season.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 03:33 AM)
I don't think AJ was ever that blatant. I think Gomez & McCann both come off as assholes there.

Gomez was waaay out of line. I hope they throw the book at him. No excuse for that behavior. He should get into professional wrestling.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 07:13 AM)
I don't care how far you just hit that ball, talking trash to a team that's 22 games ahead of you is dumb.

At the same time though, the way the Braves acted to a team that's 22 games behind them is dumb too. McCann stooped down to their level.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 07:05 AM)
Gomez was waaay out of line. I hope they throw the book at him. No excuse for that behavior. He should get into professional wrestling.

Did he break any rule? I feel like that's the type of thing that the players need to handle on the field. It was the first inning, there was plenty of time to do something.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 07:05 AM)

Watching a homerun is waaay out of line? Sure, there's no reason for him to showboat but it's no big deal if the Braves didn't start jawing at him. Baseball "fights" are just stupid.

I fully side with Gomez. I will almost always side with a hitter doing pretty much whatever he wants as retribution for getting drilled on purpose. I would be in favor of a rule that says after hitting a batter, the pitcher has to stand motionless on the mound while the batter gets one chance to throw the ball back at him. I was fully in favor of Quentin football tackling Greinke.

Maholm drills the Brewers' fastest player on the knee a couple months ago and there's no punishment for it. Absolutely when Gomez crushes a home run off him he should at very least stand there and admire it and yell obscenities at Maholm. If the Braves first baseman and whoever else wants to b**** about it while he rounds the bases, fine. But the McCann thing is ridiculous- no one in baseball can recall a catcher ever having blocked the plated on a home run. He should have been thrown out and fined. He caused the on-field brawl.

And the obstruction causes the run to count even though Gomez never touched the plate. They also could have invoked the rule where on a walk-off, if the fans rush the field and the hitter can't touch the plate, it still counts. You don't get to just have your catcher start a fight so that a home run doesn't count.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
I fully side with Gomez. I will almost always side with a hitter doing pretty much whatever he wants as retribution for getting drilled on purpose. I would be in favor of a rule that says after hitting a batter, the pitcher has to stand motionless on the mound while the batter gets one chance to throw the ball back at him. I was fully in favor of Quentin football tackling Greinke.

Maholm drills the Brewers' fastest player on the knee a couple months ago and there's no punishment for it. Absolutely when Gomez crushes a home run off him he should at very least stand there and admire it and yell obscenities at Maholm. If the Braves first baseman and whoever else wants to b**** about it while he rounds the bases, fine. But the McCann thing is ridiculous- no one in baseball can recall a catcher ever having blocked the plated on a home run. He should have been thrown out and fined. He caused the on-field brawl.

And the obstruction causes the run to count even though Gomez never touched the plate. They also could have invoked the rule where on a walk-off, if the fans rush the field and the hitter can't touch the plate, it still counts. You don't get to just have your catcher start a fight so that a home run doesn't count.

I was wondering what the back story was there, I was confused by his initial stare down....I guess I see where Gomez was coming from.

Given events in recent months, here are the spots that I believe will be filled by current Sox players and ones that will be filled via FA/trades:

1B- FA/trade

2B- Beckham

SS- Ramirez

3B- Gillaspie

C- Fa/trade

LF- Viciedo

CF- FA/trade

RF- A. Garcia

DH- Dunn

Bench:

C- Phegley

utility- Semien

utility- L. Garcia

outfield- Danks

SP- Sale/Quintana/Danks/Santiago/Johnson

Bullpen- Reed, N. Jones, Webb, Rienzo, Veal

I'll be shocked if De Aza and Keppinger aren't traded, and I also think Lindstrom will be dealt. I was very close to predicting Santiago will be used as a trade chip, with the Sox then signing a free agent pitcher.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
Bullpen- Reed, N. Jones, Webb, Rienzo, Veal

I have not had a chance to see Petricka or Webb pitch - who do we like better? Both? Veal has resurrected some hope for me as a loogy, but I'm wishing for a veteran lefty bullpen presence as an offseason move. Boone Logan, anyone? And there always seems to be a few aging Japanese starters available from their league, who come to the States to finish their career in an MLB pen. Maybe that will be a possibility.

Somewhat fearful of Abreu signing, given that his weaknesses sound too familiar/similar to DV. Not saying they're the same guy.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)
I have not had a chance to see Petricka or Webb pitch - who do we like better? Both? Veal has resurrected some hope for me as a loogy, but I'm wishing for a veteran lefty bullpen presence as an offseason move. Boone Logan, anyone? And there always seems to be a few aging Japanese starters available from their league, who come to the States to finish their career in an MLB pen. Maybe that will be a possibility.

Somewhat fearful of Abreu signing, given that his weaknesses sound too familiar/similar to DV. Not saying they're the same guy.

Compare pretty much any of these Cuban sluggers

"Quick swing, lack of patience, huge power, tendency to chase sliders." Did I nail all 3 of them?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
Why is Kevin Vance being left out of all the bullpens?

Because he walked 4.5 batters an inning at AA and, despite a good strikeout rate, still had a 3.9 ERA. Really, if you can't get AA hitters out with pure stuff (low 90s fastball, curveball, changeup), or you can't locate it well enough to do so, you are going to struggle in the majors.